Chapter 15 - Appointments

ISTU

The loud yawn behinds me interrupts my breakfast and makes me turn around, only to find the ugly morning version of Rowtag in his ratty pajamas.

"Sorry for that. I didn't see you there," he stretches. "Why are you up so early?"

"I want to work as much possible before I leave to the hospital for our appointments. You look rested at least."

"I am. Now that the Marshalls are gone and Huritt is back to his bed, I finally had a good night of sleep. I'm looking forward to the meeting with the contractor this afternoon."

"Sorry I will miss that. If I rescheduled my appointment, I would have to wait three months for a new one. The good thing is that we won't have to drive twice with Kitchi's being at the same time as mine. Do you think the contractor can get the extra lodges ready before winter?"

"I'm positive they'll be ready."

"Row, I was thinking, we could use an assistant. With the camping and the future expansion, we'll need someone to help us."

"I agree. Don't wait any longer and put a request with the agency."

"I'll do it right away. Some days I feel like I'm about to go nuts. Row, can I be honest with you about something?"

"Sure. What is it?" Rowtag says while serving himself a cup of coffee.

"I feel terrible about it, but the truth is that I couldn't wait for Mom and Dad to leave. Well, for Mom to leave, Dad is fine."

"And why is that?" My brother takes a seat in front of me.

"We have made significant efforts to get this place up and running, and I'm damn proud. The ranch couldn't be more perfect than what it is. I felt like the whole time Mom was just looking around for faults and problems. I also heard Dad and her arguing. It was loud enough to reach the office."

"Yeah, I noticed the tension between them from the moment they stepped out of the town car," Rowtag says while looking deep in thought.

"Row, she wasn't like that when we were kids. She used to be a loving woman and then things changed after the accident. Now she has an irrational hatred towards you and ignores Huritt most of the time. I get whatever attention is left when Kitchi isn't around. He even confessed to me that she embarrassed him in front of Chris and Sebastian."

Rowtag moves around the bar and places his arm over my shoulders.

"I don't know Istu. I have asked myself a million times what I could have done differently to please her, but I will never be able to. What I know is that I care about you a lot, and I live with the guilt of what happened to you all because of my bad decision," he says, looking straight into my eyes.

"I never blamed you for the accident, Row. If I had let Kitchi complain to Mom, we all would have been grounded, but nothing would have happened. I convinced him to head back and get in the cart. I also played a part in what happened, so becoming blind was due to my own actions."

"I don't know why I feared talking about it with you. I missed you so much when our parents split us to live in different places. I had Huritt, but it wasn't the same without you and Kit."

"It was hard in the beginning, but being with other visually impaired kids at that boarding school helped me. No one saw our limitations there and I could have a relatively normal life. But I looked forward to each summer at Grandma and Grandpa. It was the happiest time of my life. Even more when I could move in permanently."

"Mine too. And Istu, are you okay? You seem distracted lately."

I won't admit that the whole situation with Josh is eating me. I think about him constantly. Is this an unhealthy obsession or am I interested in him?