Chapter 28 - Back to Life

ROWTAG

The moment I realize where she wants me to go, I don't move further than the hallway.

"I can crash on the couch."

"You won't fit on that sofa. Have you noticed how tall you are? Even I can't lay on it comfortably."

Olivia searches in a drawer and then pulls out a pair of pink pajamas. On a chair in the corner is my overnight bag.

"So, you want me to sleep here... With you... On the same bed."

"No, Rowtag, you will sleep on the cold, hard floor," she smirks.

"I don't want to invade your privacy."

"Rowtag, you have eaten my food, played with my son and kissed him goodnight. You already invaded my privacy. The difference is that I'm freely allowing you to do that. Now, get changed. Unless you enjoy sleeping in jeans," she chuckles while handing me my bag.

I head to the bathroom in the hallway and put on a pair of old basketball shorts. They have a few holes here and there but are comfortable. As I walk back to the bedroom, Olivia smiles at me while taking off her earrings.

"Get comfortable in bed. I always do a small round to check if Seth is sleeping. He likes to read, and I have caught him doing it with a flashlight."

My Dad used to do the same with me. I got quite good at faking sleep. The few times I got caught was when Kitchi told him what I did. Kit... I wonder how he's doing.

"Completely out. Having you here is exciting for him, so he's probably exhausted."

"Really, and why is that?"

"You like to talk and play with him. Reading for him tonight was probably the highlight of his day. He never did those things with his father."

"I never did them with my father either. He was too busy with the business and Karen's demands. Grandpa, on the other hand, did all the things I hoped Dad would do with me. He taught me how to play sports, shave, even shared my first cigar when I was about to go to college. I still remember his exact words on that night. He said: Rowtag you have the fire inside, when you set your head to do something, you make it happen."

"You miss him," Olivia holds my hand over the bed sheets.

"Every day. He passed away in his sleep a few months before we moved here. We all loved him so much. It's a great loss."

"Wherever he is, I'm sure he's proud of all of you," Olivia curls into me. "You are shaking, are you cold or does this make you uncomfortable?"

"I'm worried about where this between us is heading. You are so different to my ex-wife, and with you I would have the life that I dream of. But what if I'm not what you need or what if I can't give you what you want?"

"I only need a man who respects me and is kind to my son. If you are willing to do that, then you are the man I want."

"Even if there is a chance that I can't give you more children?" I lift myself to look at her face.

"What are you talking about?"

"My ex and I tried to have children without success. I never got checked fearing it was linked to my trauma, something I didn't want to be confronted with again if it was true."

"I have a child already," she caresses my cheek. "I won't feel as if I'm missing out on anything. I imagine the impact of what happened on that day and Karen's words is not something you can forget easily. Her behavior is unforgivable."

"Grandma told me she can see a positive change in me since we are together. I feel stronger, difficult situations don't seem to affect me the same way as they did in the past," I lean in to kiss her lips softly. "You brought me back to life, Olivia."

"I'm happy to hear that."

I place my arms around her body and kiss her forehead. Our matching breathing patterns relax me and I drift off to sleep.

"And they have a giant stomach, and you can walk inside. It even has food rests inside!" Seth tells us about an exhibition he just saw on the kids' morning show. My eggs look less appealing after his detailed description of the digestive system.

"Seth, you are grossing Rowtag," Olivia laughs.

"It isn't gross. It was cool!" Seth munches on his piece of toast.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" I ask.

"A doctor, I want to make people better like Mom does," Seth says with excitement.

"There go my life savings," I say and Olivia's face shows surprise. "I'm in this for the long run," I hold her hand over the table.

"Row, are you Mom's boyfriend?" Seth looks at our hands.

"Yeah, I am."

"Cool," Seth says and opens a book.

"That's his seal of approval," Olivia chuckles as she stands to clear the breakfast dishes.

"I thought that maybe we could drive to the city. Bring him to that body exhibition," I stack the plates and help her fill the dishwasher.

"You are so thoughtful. He will love the idea."

"Seth? Wanna see that gross stomach thing for real?" I ask and he nods enthusiastically. "Then you better get dressed."

Seth runs to his room, then a second later, returns and gives me a hard hug. This boy has no idea that, like his mother, he has stolen my heart.

While they get ready, I call the ranch and Huritt answers. Everything is fine and there were no incidents last night. He tells me that Kit woke up in a bad mood and refused to talk to Karen on the phone.

Just as I hang up, I hear a hard knock on the door; a scruffy-looking man stands outside.

"Is Olivia in here?" he says without a greeting, trying to look inside.

"Who wants to know?" I block his view.

"What are you doing here?" I hear Olivia say behind me.

"I got this fucking letter asking for more money. Why do you want to suck me dry?" The man shakes a paper in his hand.

Olivia snatches the paper and reads it. I feel Seth standing next to me and put my arm around his shoulders.

"I didn't ask for more money, this is an automatic correction in the child support amount."

"Isn't what I give you enough?" He raises his voice.

"Hey there pal, calm down. The government determines those amounts. Olivia has nothing to do with that," I say.

"You can't tell me to calm down. Who the fuck is he, anyway?"

"Mom's boyfriend," Seth says.

"Oh, hey there Seth, didn't see you."

Is that his greeting for his son? He hasn't seen the kid in a long time!

"Keep your money," I feel irritated at his lack of warmth for Seth. "Go back to wherever you came from, I will provide for Olivia and Seth."

"What? Are you going to marry her?" He mocks.

"I will, and Seth will become my son as you obviously have no interest in being a father."

"Well, good fucking luck to you. Olivia is as frigid as a piece of ice," he turns around and leaves. "You have a gold digger in your hands!" He yells behind him.

I look at Seth, whose eyes are filled with tears and looks disappointed. I get on my knees and place my hands on his arms.

"Listen to me, I promise you right now that I will always be there for you. You understand that, Seth?" I say, and he nods. "Olivia, as long as I live both of you will never lack love, attention, or money."

I stand up and hold one of Olivia's hands in mine. I look into her eyes as I bring it to my lips.

"Marry me... Let me be your husband and a father to Seth."

Olivia nods and lets out a shaky breath as she rests her head on my chest while I hug her.

"I think she means yes," Seth watches his mom and I open my arm to hug him too.