Chapter 41 - A Letter

ROWTAG

A year later

My whole bed shakes, but I don't feel like opening my eyes.

"Rowtag, it's time to wake up."

"No, it's my free day. I want to sleep a bit more," I put the bedcovers over my head.

"It's also the opening of the brewery. Today is important for the whole valley, but mostly for Istu and Josh. We need to be there for them and on time."

I look at my beautiful wife. Her politeness and sweet disposition make me smile.

"Come here," I pat the bed, and she gets under the covers, curling against me.

"What is it?" Olivia lifts herself to face me.

"Nothing in particular. I just enjoy being with you like this," I caress the soft skin of her thigh. "Let's relive our honeymoon."

Olivia smacks my arm and laughs as she stands up from the bed. "We can't do that now."

"Is Seth awake?" I sit on the bed and stretch.

"He's having breakfast and reading that human body book you got him."

"Then he won't even notice us," I whine.

Olivia ignores my childish plea and searches through the closet.

"I'm happy that you think of him when you see stuff he likes. You and Monique are a great support to his dreams. He is more determined than ever to become a doctor. He says we don't have enough of them here in the valley."

"He's one of my biggest blessings. I would do anything for him. And now that we know he will be our only child even more."

"I'm amazed about how calm you are after the news," she turns around.

"I can't deny I feel some disappointment, but I always suspected I was the problem. I'm glad I have Seth, so I'm not missing on the experience of being a father."

Olivia and I tried to have babies the natural way since we married almost a year ago but it didn't work. I went to a specialist in the city, and he confirmed that I'm sterile.

"And you are doing a great job with him," Olivia gives me a soft kiss.

"Are you also okay with it? Maybe you wanted more children."

"Not really. I'm not saying this to make you feel better, but the truth is children were not in my plans. I was shocked when I found out I was pregnant and only hoped that fatherhood would drill some sense of responsibility in my ex. My life took a big turn, but he continued his cheating adventures."

I embrace Olivia and enjoy her scent while I make a silent promise to make her forget that man ever existed. After getting dressed, I walk into the kitchen and find Seth with his nose in the book.

"Good morning," I kiss the top of his head. "Is it a good book?"

"Yeah," he gives me a bright smile. Each one of those makes me fall in love with him a bit more.

"Good to hear. Are you sure you want to stay here with your babysitter? We can bring you to the brewery, only no beer for you," I tease him and he grimaces.

"There won't be any kids there to play. I will be bored," he says and goes back to the book.

"You can bring your book."

"Too noisy," he doesn't even look at me.

I serve myself a plate of eggs and my stomach does a flip of joy at the sight of fresh biscuits and gravy. My brothers tease me for gaining weight since I got married, but Olivia cooks even better than Grandma.

My wife seats in front of me with a bundle of post that she begins to open. A hand moves to cover her mouth while the one holding a paper shakes.

"What happened?"

"I didn't open the post when we got home last night. He has given me Seth's full custody and renounced his parental rights," she reads from the letter.

"What are parental rights?" Seth asks, paying attention when he doesn't need to.

"It means- That..." Olivia stumbles over her words.

"Seth, what do you feel for your father?" I ask.

"Don't know... Nothing, I guess," he shrugs. "I haven't seen him in a long time. Am I in trouble?"

"Not at all. That letter says that if you want it, I can become your only father."

"Do you also want to?" He asks with a face full of hope. "Am I going to be a Marshall as well?"

I look at Olivia, who's trying to control her emotions.

"I don't know if we can change your last name to Marshall, but we will try."

"And can I call you Dad?"

"Of course, you can."

"Do I have to wait until my name changes or can I do it now?"

I let out a shaky breath at the unexpected request. Olivia has battled for his sole custody from the moment she moved to the valley from the city. Three years of processes and difficulties, and finally her ex agrees to put an end to it. But Seth wanting so willingly to be my sole son is more than I ever dreamed of.

"Sure, you can call me Dad," I try to keep my cool.

"Nice... Dad," he grins and gives me a quick hug.

Olivia clears a few stray tears from her cheeks, but smiles too. I motion for her to follow me and we walk towards the porch.

"Your breakfast... It will get cold-"

"You are more important. Are you okay?"

"I think so. I'm happy about getting what I've been fighting for and relieved I won't have to see my ex again. At the same time, I'm so angry at him for keeping me waiting, almost as a punishment."

"It's understandable under the circumstances. From now on, I don't want you to worry."

"Seth truly loves and respect you. I didn't know he was busy in his head trying to figure your relationship."

"It will be all right. Come here," I squeeze her in a hug. "You make me so damn happy."

I don't need anything else in my life. I feel complete.