Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember

ISTU

My family is here as our guests and this must be the reason I feel sad. Since I moved to Broken Arrow, I've always lived with at least one of my brothers. I'll miss them so much after they go home.

I will see them at work, of course, but the apartment above the main building won't be my home anymore. Rowtag was the first one out and the faint cigar scent, a reminder of his presence, is completely gone from the deck. I will miss the ordinary home routines; Huritt reading a book while chilling on the couch, Kitchi cursing when something is gone from its place. Then lately, Grandma singing out of tune with the radio while she cooks and Dad telling a story and laughing out loud before he even reaches the end.

I have told no one that Karen, Mom, called me. She heard rumors that I'm in a relationship with a man and when I confirmed it, she just hung up the phone. It's exactly what I expected she would do. Since I stopped communication with her, something I always started, I've felt at peace. I can imagine how Dad felt when the divorce was finalized.

Dad started dating Sebastian's mom and you can see he's over the moon. During the opening ceremony they kept exchanging glances and kept their distance, but the connection was obvious. Hopefully he will introduce her soon to us formally. Sebastian always felt like a younger brother to Kitchi and this will bring us all even closer.

"You've been so quiet today it's making me worried. Are you okay?" Josh asks while putting his arm around my waist.

"I'm fine, just nostalgic."

"Maybe I pushed you too soon to move out of the ranch. I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to apologize for. I would have said no if I wasn't ready. I love you and I'm happy we will live together. I'm just gonna miss this bunch."

"They are the best. I was just talking to your grandmother, and she asked if we want to have dinner at the ranch every evening. I hope you don't mind that I said yes."

"I don't mind at all. Thank you," I give him a hard hug. "This surely lifts my mood."

"Is that our cue to leave?" Huritt shouts in our direction.

"Can I hug my boyfriend without you jumping to conclusions?" I ask and he grins.

After the opening ceremony and the reception were over, we all came to our new house to enjoy a catered meal. Josh's parents excused themselves earlier to rest. Josh and I bring a tray of coffee to the open space where the ladies chat in the living room while the men sit at the dining table. After distributing the hot drinks, we join the men who play a card game and drink a cordial made by Grandma.

"And now we are complete," Huritt says. "I wanted to let you know that Amy and I are getting married. We got engaged yesterday."

Pats and hugs are exchanged in congratulations. I feel truly happy my brothers are formalizing the relationships with their significant others. First Rowtag, then Kitchi and now Huritt. Maybe Josh and I will do that one day.

"When's the big day?" Rowtag asks.

"We are not that far in the plans. I'm still getting used to the idea, even though it was mine," Huritt chuckles.

"I'm happy for you and all that jazz, but I need to leave with my girls," Kitchi refers to Monique and Grandma. "I will see you tomorrow. Josh, success with the business."

"I will head home as well," Dad says after looking at his watch. "First official business day tomorrow and I want to be on time. Try your best to rest, Josh. Istu, can I have a moment?"

I walk with my dad to the porch outside. The rain taps softly on the roof and lighting shines in the distance. I hope it's not a sleepless night for me.

"Istu, I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Dad."

"I didn't want to talk about this inside. Karen called me," Dad smirks. "She wanted to know if I knew about you and Josh and I said yes. I can't repeat what she said because she almost left me deaf."

"I'm sorry, Dad."

"There is nothing to be sorry about. You are a grown-up man, smart and whatever you do with your life is your own business. She's upset because she will have to explain a lot to her social circles. I'm glad I don't have those people around me anymore. The only thing I regret is not being able to tell her Josh is my boss. She slammed the phone before I could," he laughs.

"Since I have a memory, I've never seen you so relaxed."

"I am and I'm glad to work here and be close to all of you. Josh is an excellent business partner, and I know how much he cares about you. He has a picture of you together on his desk. I have caught him with it in his hands, just staring at it. He's done all of this," he points at the grounds with the brewery in the distance. "For you."

The thought makes me feel warm inside and a bit embarrassed.

"I will see you tomorrow at dinner," Dad says and shouts good night to the rest.

My other brothers eventually follow until Josh and I are left alone.

"I have something for us, but unfortunately, I can only get it in a few weeks."

"What is it?"

Josh gets his phone and scrolls through it. He smiles at whatever he finds and hands me the phone. In the picture, a tiny yellow pup with a big pink nose sleeps peacefully.

"This is our little boy, born a month ago. Since Hunter will stay at the ranch to keep Grandma company, I thought maybe we could get one for ourselves. One of the construction guys had a pregnant golden retriever, and I asked him to save a pup for us. Only this little guy is mixed with we don't know what."

"It doesn't matter. I will love him. Thanks, Josh! You know I love dogs."

The noise of the thunder above us gets quite loud.

"Are you worried?" Josh asks.

"No, not this time. Should we head to bed?"

We turn all the lights off downstairs and head to our bedroom. I change into a pajama and Josh strips down to his underwear. We hold on to each other in bed and it feels comfortable and familiar.

"I want to make love to you, but I'm exhausted," Josh says.

"It's all right. I'm tired as well. We have all the time in the world for that. Tonight, let's just enjoy that we are together."

I take off my glasses and put them on the night table, then turn to face Josh.

"You are so handsome," Josh caresses my scarred cheek. "Okay, maybe I'm not that tired after all," he moves on top on me while kissing my neck.

It will probably be a short night for us, but surely one to remember.