Chapter 19 - Realization

CHRIS

Huritt has gone mental. He ran back to the barn last evening dragging Amy behind him and said he saw a bigger-than-normal gray wolf with shaggy fur. He even saw that the beast had a black triangle on his chest. Amy didn't see it even though he was pointing at a specific place. When she handed him a bottle of water, he couldn't open it from how badly his hands shook. I'm starting to believe that the brothers are breaking down from the stress.

Istu called the staff to meet early in the morning for an update on Kitchi's situation. The dark circles under his eyes tell me he probably hasn't had a full night of sleep since his brother fell ill. Then before heading to the hospital, he let me know he hired the son of one of the cleaning maids to help around here. Following that he went to Clark's stall and just caressed the horse's face and mane for a long time with his eyes closed, like a baby soothing himself with a stuffed toy. He said goodbye while I was trimming some shrubs and looked distraught.

I wonder when Kitchi will be back, or if he will be back at all. Huritt told me he woke up but isn't doing well. I'm worried. He's become a brother to me, someone I can trust, talk to and get along well with. I enjoy when we tackle a project together and going on the trail rides; his knowledge about nature amazes me.

The shower I just took after a heavy day of physical work relaxed me, and now I need to figure out what to have for dinner. Alex is busy with the evening program and won't return until later. It's amusing living with him. We have been roommates for a few days, and I have already seen two girls doing a 'walk of shame'.

I hear a soft knock on the door, and as I open it, I find Nadine standing outside.

"Hi," I feel all warm inside while I kiss her cheek.

"Hello back. I brought you dinner. Well, for us," she shows me a few plastic bags. "Wanted to spend time with you but I guess you don't feel like going out."

"You got that right. I'm so tired that a pack of crackers and slices of cheese looked appealing. How are you doing? We haven't seen much of each other in the last days. Only quick hellos and goodbyes."

Nadine unpacks the food while I get plates. The ribs with sweet potato fries look and smell incredible.

"I'm fine, working hard at the kitchen. Besides the sandwich counter, I'm now helping with sous chef work. The position is still available and I'm hoping to get it. I promised myself that I will get me a better car if I do."

"I hope you get it, it will be one more step towards your dream. Hey, something weird happened yesterday. Huritt and Amy were talking outside the barn and he saw a wolf. Amy didn't see it at all. I think he's losing his mind."

Nadine's eyebrows rise and then she lets out a deep breath. "I have seen it."

"WHAT? Are we surrounded by a wild animal? We need to tell Rowtag! We need animal control here or the police, someone!"

"No, no, calm down. It's not what you think, although you will probably think the worst of me for what I'm about to say."

"What can be so bad?"

"I've seen the wolf on two different days. The first time was the day after you started working here. I got a call from an old acquaintance to tell me that someone saw the man who pimped me around the city. I got to the ranch and couldn't stop crying after I parked my car. My head swam with all sort of disaster scenarios about the situation. That's when I saw it, right in front of my car. I thought my blurry eyes were playing a trick on me, so I blinked hard and it was gone when I opened my eyes again. After my shift, I took a walk at the edge of the forest to calm myself before heading home. I sat under a tree and tried to concentrate on the sounds of nature. Then I saw it again, walking out of the shadow of the forest, only a few feet away from me. I didn't feel scared; if anything, I felt comforted by its presence. There's something about its eyes, almost human, they looked at me with I don't know... Love? Concern? I tried to touch it, but my fingers barely made it to the thin black arrow on its chest when it disappeared."