Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths

KITCHI

During the past two months, I've only seen the interior of the hospital and our apartment. Now that I can walk outside, I've come to appreciate how the sun feels on my skin. I understand why I had to be confined as I could barely walk past the living room without feeling fatigued. My concentration wasn't even enough to watch a movie. Only a five-minute cartoon entertained me before I would fall asleep again.

By now my hair covers my scar, which feels flat and not the horrible puffed thing I had when I looked at it in a mirror for the first time. Thankfully Olivia came to visit on that day and reassured me it would turn out okay.

I'm so glad Grandma is here to help me. She doesn't drive me nuts like Mom did. Whenever I need something, I let her know and don't receive a reprimand each time I feel like pushing my limits. Mom would ask me every five minutes if I'm okay or need anything, and would forbid me to step out of the hospital room which was against the doctor's orders.

My heart did a flip of joy when I got released and she returned to whatever she was doing at the time I fell ill. I haven't seen her in over six weeks, and can't complain.

What I really miss is Monique's company. I wonder how she's doing and if she thinks of me. After she kissed me at the hospital, we didn't talk much as I wasn't feeling well and when I woke up, she was gone. Did she kiss me out of pity? I hope not. I'll ask one of my brothers to help me get in contact with her again and will find out.

"You are a quiet nurse," I say to Sebastian, who walks next to me and smiles at my teasing. Grandma asked him to keep me company in case I feel unwell. "Are things going to be that way between us?"

"Nah, we are okay," he says.

"I don't freak you with the- The thing in my head."

"No, you can barely see it. Too bad it isn't on your face. It would have made you look wilder."

"Wilder?" I ask and Sebastian nods. "That's a first, no one has called me wild before."

"Come on, Kit. You know that's the reason women drool when they look at you."

"My head must be more fucked up than I thought. You must be talking about Huritt."

"No, I'm talking about you. Monique always came here for you, and female guests have trespassed the property through the patch to watch you from a hidden spot. Chris and I could hear them giggling and talking about how hot you are."

"You must be joking."

"Why is this so difficult for you to believe?" Sebastian halts.

"Because this has never happened. Women never looked at me, it was always Huritt or Rowtag."

"If you are expecting me to say you are pretty or some shit like that, then you are in for an eternal wait."

I laugh at Sebastian's harshness. "Why were you so quiet a few minutes ago?"

"I thought that you wanted it like that. You must be fed up with people asking how you feel," Sebastian shrugs.

This kid knows me too well. "You can't be more right about that. I know people mean well, but it's fucking annoying at times. And why are you still here? Aren't you really going to college? All the kids Istu hired for the summer have left already."

"Only in my dreams. I already had mediocre grades when we lived in the city with my parents fighting constantly. Then we moved here a year ago and found out about the mistress deal. My mom was a mess and for fear that she would do something stupid, I missed many school days to keep an eye on her, and graduated with the minimum requirements. We are trying to pick up the pieces left and make a life here, so I want to work to help with the bills."