Chapter 14 - Truths

CHRIS

The day could not go by quickly enough, but I must admit that I'm nervous as hell for my date with Nadine. I've had plenty of women, but I've never taken anyone out on a date. Back in the city, whenever I would go out, I had no problems finding a girl to spend the night with, and it never made it past sex.

After work, I went to the employee lodge to shower and change. Taking the grime out of my nails took a long time, so I hope the effort is worth it. I'm waiting for Nadine to finish getting ready. I could use a cigarette, but I've given up smoking, so I'm chewing gum to calm myself. Amy already went home, which I find it too bad, because I could use one of her pep talks right now. Also, because I wanted to hear what she thinks of the Marshall parents' visit.

The mother came to the farm and made me feel so uncomfortable. Kitchi looked bothered. She even commanded me to carry on with mucking the stables alone, saying Kit has a delicate health and shouldn't do it. He took her out on a private trail ride against his will and when he returned, he apologized for ditching me. I told him not to worry, I'm not a great fan of parents in general.

"Chris..."

I turn around to find Nadine looking so charming in a girly white dress. "You look beautiful," I say, and she gives me a small smile.

"You look good- We are always wearing uniforms- I'm rambling," she lets out a nervous laugh. "We should go."

Nadine takes the keys out of her purse and I follow her to her car. The rusty thing can't really be called a car, it's more like a mix and match of parts, but at least she has one; unlike me.

"How come you don't drive?" She says while backing from her parking space.

"Got arrested too many times driving under the influence," I feel ashamed, but I don't want to hide the truth from her.

"Do you still drink?" Her hands get tighter on the steering wheel.

"I haven't since I started working at the ranch. I don't need it anymore," I say, and Nadine relaxes... but why?

"Where are we heading?"

"I thought we could go to Dolce. Huritt said the food is good."

"That is a fancy restaurant. I'm not made for a place like that," she hesitates while making a turn towards the road heading to the city.

"Nonsense. The restaurant owner should feel honored a woman like you is present."

After the words leave my mouth, I feel embarrassed for saying something so cheesy.

"Thanks, Chris," she glances at me quickly and smiles.

I change the topic to what we did during the day. Soon enough, the Marshall parents' visit comes up.

"Mrs. Marshall walked into the kitchen when I was showing Rowtag the cooler that isn't working properly. She got impatient, barked at him that Kitchi shouldn't be working so hard and left. Not before giving me a nasty once over. Rowtag watched her leave, let out a deep sigh and said he will take care of the fridge. For someone visiting her kids, she sure doesn't look happy."

"Only with Kitchi. I was expecting her to carry him in her arms and give him the boob," I say, making Nadine laugh hard.

"Have you seen how thin she is? If she has any boobs, they are store-bought," she says and now it's my turn to laugh.

"Amy would be mad at me for talking about other people, but this is surely an exception."

We make it to the restaurant Huritt suggested, and as we enter, I understand what she means about not being made for it. I'm wearing a new black shirt and trousers, and still feel underdressed. The men wear suits and the ladies look straight out of a perfume ad.