Chapter 42 - Picnic

HURITT

Amy and I drive towards the brewery, and the excitement is almost tangible. We have great news to share with the family, but will do it after all the opening events are over.

Yesterday, we took a free day together and headed to the city. The weather prediction was in our favor, for which I was glad since I had planned a day outdoors at a park Amy mentions often and that she frequented while she lived there.

A new delicatessen store opened in the valley recently and I took the chance to try their products before making a commercial proposal with the ranch. I ordered a picnic basket which even included champagne to share with Amy.

After parking the car, I grabbed the large basket from the trunk. Amy glanced at it with curiosity, but being as polite as she is didn't say a thing. When we reached the dock, and she saw the rowboat I rented, her face showed pure delight.

"I thought rowing is the best way to enjoy the lake and work up an appetite," I said as I helped her on the boat.

"I've only done it once, wasn't the best at it, but liked it. And if you tell me that the basket is filled with food, I will love you forever. I'm hungry already," Amy said as I grabbed the oars.

"Why don't you check it out? It comes from the new deli."

Amy opened the basket, and a small wrinkle appeared between her eyes. I couldn't figure out what she thought.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"This is all posh food. I have never eaten most of these things," she rummaged through the basket.

"I had the same thought, but there's always a first time for everything, right? I'm more of a honey and farm cheese guy myself."

"Are you?"

"Yeah, and my favorite thing is a tomato, egg and bacon sandwich. Back at Broken Arrow, we would eat anything we harvested. The bacon even came from a farm nearby and the rest from ours. I swear I've never tasted anything so delicious again. Dad even won a prize for his tomatoes when he was a teen."

"How is he doing? I miss seeing him around."

"Happier than I've seen him in a long time. I saw him yesterday when I met with him and Josh about the brewery tours. They make a good team. Josh has the ideas and Dad knows how to execute them on a big scale."

"Is the house done?"

"Yes, and Istu will move in officially tomorrow."

"Your brother also seems happy."

"I can't deny that, but I must admit that after a year of seeing them together, I'm still have trouble getting used to the idea. Istu had girlfriends and dated girls, so him being with a man was a surprising turn. Josh loves him and makes him happy; that's what matters the most."

"Was Istu girl crazy?"

"Less than Row or me, but I still remember when he lost his virginity. He had a smug face and wouldn't stop talking about it. It bothered me like hell because I was still a virgin. I couldn't believe my younger brother was already a man and not me."

"Well, I enjoyed my man last night," she giggled.

"We would put Alex to shame," I laughed.

I kept rowing until we reached a small dock close to one of the shaded areas. After anchoring the boat, I helped Amy out and to the quiet shore. The place was beautiful, soft grass sprinkled with tiny daisies, couldn't have been more perfect to spread our blanket and watch people enjoying the water.

"Let's see what this experiment brings," I opened the basket and fetched a small jar. "Have you ever had olives before?"

"Those are not olives, those are capers," Amy said after looking.

"What are capers?"

"A bud. It is salty. I have eaten it with fish."

"Why on earth would I want to eat flowers?" I put the jar back and reached for something else while Amy laughed.

Eventually we made our way through all the items and thankfully, most were tasty. We then laid on the blanket, cuddled and watched the sky through the tree tops.

"Amy, you know I love you, right?"

"I do."

"And you love me?"

"Very much."

"Will you marry me?"

Amy suddenly sat on the blanket and turned to look at my face.

"Do you mean it?"

"Yeah, I mean it," I said and lifted my buttock to take a solitaire ring from my back pocket. "You make me so happy, and I hope that I can make you happy for the rest of our lives."

Amy stared at the ring, and panic rushed through my body. What if she didn't want to get married?

"I want to marry you..."

"But?"

"There is no but! Did that come out as doubtful?" Amy asked, and I nodded.

"Hayden Marshall, I love you, and I accept to be your wife."

While trying to place the ring on her finger, I let it fall in the grass. We spent a few minutes on all fours locating it while laughing and I felt relieved when it was finally placed on her finger. I think I caught the marriage bug when Row and Olivia tied the knot, but felt Amy wasn't ready for it yet.

"That grin, what kind of naughty plan do you have in mind?" Amy says, interrupting my memories.

"Just thinking about yesterday. You don't regret it, right?"

"I don't, I still want to marry you."

"Have you given a thought on where do you want us to live?"

"I have, then concluded we need to look for a place together. My cabin is too small and too far away from the ranch."

"I agree. How do you think Chris will react?"

"I think he will be happy for us. He knows we love and respect each other. Even when we disagree, it never turns into a shouting fight and he knows you will never hurt me."

"What about your parents? Will you tell them?"

"I don't want to see them at all, but out of courtesy we can send them an invitation. We haven't spoken in years so I don't expect them to come. There's something I want to discuss with you. I would love it for Chris to walk me down the aisle and be my witness. I know a woman usually chooses another to be a maid of honor, but my brother and I have gone through so much together. Both of you are so important in my life and I want him to stand next to me at that moment."

"Amy, you don't need to convince me. I wouldn't want it differently."

"What about you? Who will be your witness or best man?"

"Logic says Rowtag, as I was his best man, but my heart says to pick Kitchi. Our relationship has deepened in the last year. We fought a lot growing up, and I've always been harsh on him. I want to show him how much he means to me."

"I think he's an excellent choice."

"We are here."

Amy gasps at the sight of the large brewery building with its red brick and large windows at the top. An exciting future for Josh, Istu, Dad and us.