Chapter 30 - Country Boy

HURITT

Amy's gait is stiff as we walk, probably from nerves or worry, something I assume from the small crease on her forehead.

"How are things at the club?" I break the silence and smile at her.

"They are going better than I expected. I recently made changes to the activities to include a child with special needs, a first for me. One of our little guests has autism, and I made a program just for him with activities that are not too overwhelming."

"That's great, Amy. His parents must feel thankful."

"They are. This is the first time their son feels included in a group."

"You are so thoughtful, thank you!"

"So... I'm not fired?" Her words make me stop the stroll.

"Why on earth would I do that?" I laugh. "You are one of our best employees. I would be crazy even to consider it!"

"We haven't talked in a while," she gifts me a small smile. "I thought I was in trouble."

"Nonsense. Let's head to that gazebo over there. We can talk without distractions."

We reach the last gazebo and sit on the bench surrounding the interior. The people staying in this area are mostly the senior crowd who like their peace and quiet. I silence my radio and place it on the bench next to me. Amy gazes at the surroundings and looks so damn beautiful. I wish I could kiss her and hold her in my arms. An awkward sound leaves my throat as I clear it before I talk, but I can't let that stop me from saying what I need to say.

"Amy, I've been hurting like hell since the last time we talked. I need you to hear me, only then I'll be able to live in peace with your rejection. You seem to have a perception of me that is not right."

Amy blushes as she stares at the floor.

"As you know, the family on my mother's side come from a long legacy of hotel owners, and my parents work in hotel operations. When I was little, we lived in these places in construction trailers until they made a family suite ready for us. I barely had any possessions because that would mean packing extra stuff every time we had to move to another property. After the accident we had when I was ten, they sent Rowtag and me to live with my grandparents on my dad's side. They ran a farm where I spent my life and worked at until I went to college. I have dug the earth, cleaned animal crap and every Saturday, I stood at the farmer's market with Grandma selling eggs, marmalade and honey. Row hated getting dirty, so he helped Grandpa with his finances and the general management in his teens. If I wanted something, I had to work extra time at the farm to earn the money. After college, I worked for my maternal grandfather as an intern to gain experience in marketing and only earned enough for basic living needs. I have no money except the salary I earn here. Amy, in the end, I'm only a country boy."

Amy continues to stare at the ground and I wonder what is going through her head.

"Why is Kitchi the one tending to the farm and not you?"

"Because he loves it more than I do and is a lot better at it than me. They tutored him on the hotel premises growing up, but it wasn't enough to prepare him for college. He moved to Broken Arrow when he was 16 years old and learned how to take care of animals and grow fruits and vegetables from my grandparents. He has a connection with nature as we say."

"I get now that you and I grew up in similar places, but why are you interested in me? Huritt, you can have any woman you want," she finally looks at me.

"Because I admire you. I imagine you at my side, and only the thought makes me feel so proud. In you I have a great friend too. I've missed the time we spend together just talking. Plus, you are so beautiful, thoughtful, smart, caring. You are so valuable, Amy. Don't think so little of yourself."

Amy fans her face as she tries to keep her emotions contained. She takes deep, shaky breaths when I place my arm over her shoulders.

"What has made you so sad?" I hold one of her hands softly in mine.

"My parents... They drilled on us that we were useless and would never amount to anything," she sniffles. "When Chris took the wrong path, I wondered if they were right. I finished my studies with hardships, cause I wanted to prove them wrong. Still, in my mind, their words nagged at me. Worthless, imbeciles."

"They are wrong. You are both great, interesting people, and you are important to us. While you entertain the kids, I take care of making this place known. Chris is another brother and I enjoying living with him at the lodge. I would trust him with everything."

"You do? Everything?" She looks surprised.

"Yes! He's a hard worker and loves this place as much as we do. He even negotiated a better deal on the sale of our milk. Istu gave him a bonus in his salary and he came back to my brother to say that we paid him too much."

Amy looks thoughtful for a moment. "Okay, Huritt. I accept you."

My brain is busy coming up with additional arguments on what a wonderful woman she is that I didn't catch her words.

"What did you just say?"

"I accept to date you."

I stand up and laugh while walking around the gazebo. Amy smiles as she watches me and suddenly, I don't know what to do. My heart is bursting from happiness.

"What do I do next? Hug you? Kiss you? I wasn't prepared for this!" I sit again next to her.

"Come here, little bee," she cups my cheeks and gives me a soft kiss on my lips.

We separate and I'm not sure if I heard right once more. "Did you just call me little bee?"

"I heard your grandmother calling you like that. Why?"

"Because I couldn't stay still as a kid and love to eat honey. The doctors told her that with all the fractures I sustained, and the long time I spent in bed, walking would be difficult for me. Like you with your parents, I proved the doctors wrong. I'm left with a slight limp, but it never stopped me from running around."

"That is sweet. Do you want to tell our families? You know? About us..."

"More than just tell them, we should celebrate. I'm sure Grandma will insist in making a fancy dinner. Rowtag told us this morning that he and Olivia are getting married. We have enough reasons to enjoy this day."

"Oh my God! That is fantastic news! Olivia and I get along well. We always have a chat when she comes to pick Seth, who by the way is probably the smartest kid I've met in my life. She's so lovely and helpful. I'm sure she will make your brother very happy."

"I just realized that Seth will become my nephew. Isn't that crazy?"

"He will be lucky to have you as his uncle."

I caress her cheek and her eyes close as she enjoys it. "I know we haven't had our first date, but I want you to be my girlfriend."

Amy opens her eyes and nods. "I don't want to break our happy moment, but I need to get back to the club. The girls are great, but need coaching."

"Just a little longer," I hold her hand and pull her towards me.

"We have all the time in the world," she stands up and kisses my forehead.

Resigned to having to return to work, I pick up my radio and turn it on.

"...SECURITY TO CLOSE THE FARM PERIMETER. FIRST AID TO THE STABLES! I NEED AN AMBULANCE! OVER!" Rowtag's voice shouts from the device.

Amy runs in the direction of the farm and I follow as fast as I can. "ROWTAG, WHAT'S HAPPENING? OVER!"

All I hear back is a jumble of directions, voices, static noise and clicks. People from our security team keep the guests contained by the farm fences. As we run past them and reach the entrance, I find Sebastian holding his bloodied arm while Brian reaches for something in his first aid bag. Kitchi hugs his body as Istu talks to him in a hushed voice. He nods and then look nervously towards something behind him. I follow his gaze and see Ben keeping a hawk eye over an unconscious man on the dusty floor whose hands and feet have been tied with rope.

Then what I see at the endof the stables makes me go all cold. Rowtag and Olivia exchange quickinstructions, and sitting on the floor, leaning against a fence is Chris, witha crimson stain covering his chest.