Chapter 43 - The Opening

CHRIS

Joe gives me a walk-through of the brewery before the official opening. He was a happy man when he worked at the ranch, but now he looks thrilled.

"And in this area, we have the bar. We designed it so that people could taste the beer while watching the operation through the glass wall. It's my favorite place as it almost feels like if you are in the middle of the action."

"That mosaic wall of the valley landscape also looks fantastic. At the beginning of the construction, I wondered how the building would fit in the landscape, but it just looks as if it has always been here."

"Josh has great vision, and I'm surprised at how well he has adapted to living in the countryside."

"I guess Istu has a lot to do with that."

"Without a doubt," he smiles.

Nadine and Jules come and join us. My girlfriend has luckily a better color than when we arrived. Jules noticed the signs of a panic attack and accompanied her on a walk in the fresh air. I offered to go with her, but Nadine insisted I go with Joe and check out the building.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Much better. I'm sorry for freaking out like that. Alcohol brings bad memories, and this place is full of it. Not that I wasn't aware, but I didn't expect to react so strongly."

"Nothing to be sorry for. Just rest assured that I won't let anything bad happen to you," I embrace her.

"We won't let anything bad happen to you," Joe caresses her cheek with fatherly affection. "We have plenty of food around, and the tasting inventory is limited. We would be irresponsible if we send people intoxicated to their homes."

Olivia and Rowtag arrive and Joe signals with a wave for them to join us.

"Great, four of my boys are here," Joe says, making me smile.

"Where is Istu?" Rowtag asks.

"At the house with Josh bringing the last of his things and finding places for them."

"Is he excited?" Olivia asks.

"Mixed feelings. Istu looks forward to being with Josh but feels a bit nostalgic about moving out of the ranch. I think that his grown-up status has sunk in him. Where is Seth?"

"At home with a new book," Rowtag says.

"Just like his dad," Joe pats his arm while Rowtag and Olivia exchange curious looks. "I had to beg you to go out and play with your brothers, because the moment a book fell in your hands, the outside world didn't exist."

"Talking about him being like me. Olivia got his sole custody and I can apply to make him my son officially."

The group showers them with congratulations and Joe's smile brightens even more when Huritt and Amy arrive at the same time as Kitchi and Monique. My sister holds hands with her boyfriend and I can't decipher the emotion in her face, but I'm sure it's a positive one.

"Hey, sis," I put my arm around her shoulders and kiss the top of her head. "How was your free day with Huritt?"

"Probably one of the best days of my life. Can I talk to you alone for a minute?"

We excuse ourselves from the group and have a seat on two bar stools.

"What do you have to say that can't be said in front of the rest?"

"They will find out later, but I wanted you to be the first to hear the news. Huritt proposed yesterday, and I accepted," she shows me the tasteful ring on her finger.