Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day

CHRIS

While enjoying my morning coffee, I move around the strips of bacon sizzling on a pan. The smell is mouth-watering and the sound comforting.

"Are you going to eat all of that?"

Amy walks into the kitchen and comes to stand next to me while I make breakfast.

"I intend to eat most of this, but I'm willing to share it with you," I caress her cheek.

"You eat a lot since you work at the farm, but you don't seem to gain an ounce. If anything, you appear to be getting muscles. Look at your arms! Life is unfair," my sister squeezes my flexed arm.

Indeed, I have lost weight, and my body is getting more defined. I'm still surprised that Kitchi stays thin and doesn't have much muscle to show with the amount of work he does. Still, he is surprisingly strong.

"All the good energy spent there," I say while filling two plates with food. "Even in the evening, I don't have the need for a beer or a cigarette. My head is empty from Ma and Pa's words and filled with images of the horses, the vegetable patch, stuff I've seen on the trail rides. It's amazing out there! Especially when you see the contrast of the valley packed with trees and then how it's all rocky and dry as you go up the mountain. I've never been to the river behind in all the years we've lived here. We even saw a deer and a few foxes. I'm feeling at peace in this place."

"That is wonderful to hear Chris. I also feel the same, especially now that Ma and Pa are living so far away. Sometimes I describe it as weightless. We might live in humble conditions, but I feel safe and happy here."

"We have everything we need, and soon enough, we will move to a bigger place."

Amy refills my cup of coffee and brings it to the small table in the kitchen. We live in a one-bedroom cabin, and I sleep on the couch. I don't mind. After sleeping on the hard bunk beds in jail the battered couch feels comfortable. My sister has sacrificed a lot for me and deserves to have her bedroom privacy.

"This is delicious. Stop making delicious food, please. I need to run after children, and the extra weight won't help me," Amy says after eating a spoonful of the cornbread I made.

"You look healthier than when we were living in the city. You were so thin back then," I say.

"I don't have worries," she says, and I feel guilty for I was the main reason for those.

"My promise is still firm. I won't go back to my old ways. I don't need to anymore."

"I know you won't. I can see the change in you, and I trust you."

We eat heartily and then get ready to go to work. I lost my driver's license after a few charges of driving under the influence, so Amy brings us to work. I don't mind it as I get to lay back and enjoy the views.

"Amy, do you know Nadine?"

"Nadine? From the restaurant?" She smiles mischievously.

"Yeah, how well do you know her?"

"She's kind and likes taking care of people. I know little about her personal life, there are rumors, but you know I hate gossip."

"What sort of rumors?" I feel curious.

"Chris, find about them yourself. To be honest, I don't even think they are true."

"Man, you are always hard to crack," I say, making her laugh.

"Are you interested in her?"

"She is beautiful and nice. I would love to take her out. I want to make sure she is not dating anybody."