Chapter 22 - Loss

ROWTAG

Joy... Relief... Hope... The surgery went well according to Kitchi's doctor. We got a chance to see him right before he entered the operation room. He looked so vulnerable while sleeping under the anesthesia that I had to hide my fear of the outcome.

We followed his wishes and instead of waiting, we went to have lunch. Karen gave us grief for leaving, but we ignored her rant and went ahead. It was clear how worried we all were as we barely touched our meals.

When we returned to the hospital, the doctor received us with the good news and Karen cried her eyes out on Dad's shirt. Now it's a matter of Kit recovering and following his therapy.

Last night I slept at a hotel nearby, the best sleep I've had in a while, and when I came here this morning, the nurses told me he had a good night. He's still sleeping and his nurse reassured me that it is normal after this kind of procedure.

"Good morning, Rowtag."

I look to my right while finishing a cup of coffee and see Olivia walking towards me. Her presence brings me so much joy and peace.

"What a surprise!" I hug her. "What are you doing here? You are free today."

"I wanted to hear how it all went since I won't be at the ranch. Seems everything went well since you are smiling."

"It all went without a hitch and he's recovering well according to the nurses. They are moving him right now from intensive care to a regular room."

"That's indeed a good sign."

"And where's Seth?"

"With a sitter for a few hours. Hospitals are no place for children."

"I just realized that visitor's hours have not started yet. How come they've let you in?"

"The perks of having worked here. I still have many friends, including the security guards. When things went wrongly in my marriage, my colleagues were a great support and kept an eye out for me. My ex-husband didn't take it kindly when he came home one night after going out drinking, and I had the locks changed. He came here twice to confront me about it and didn't make it past the front door," she smiles at the memory.

"But now I assume you have a better relationship. You know, since he shares Seth's custody."

"Rowtag, he hasn't seen Seth in over a year. I don't give a damn about him, but it's hard to explain to my son why his father hasn't tried to contact him."

"It's a pity. Seth is a great boy, and his father is missing out on a lot."

"It's his loss," she shrugs. "I want to thank you once more for taking us out. It's always him and me, and I'm not great at man talk. Seth wouldn't stop talking about you the next day even though I was there. You made quite an impression."

"I enjoyed it plenty too. It is quite ironic, all I've ever wanted in life was to have a family, work hard for them and live a peaceful life. Your ex could have had all of that with you."

"The company of other women and a few bottles of alcohol was more important than us," Olivia shakes her head. "What pisses me the most is that he would bring women around when I had evening shifts. He was supposed to be taking care of Seth and not rolling around on our bed."

"I couldn't do something so disrespectful to anyone. Olivia, this is probably not the right place or moment, but I would like to take you and Seth out on another family date soon."

"With Seth? Do you really like him?"

"Of course, I do. He's your life, and I care about him as much as I care about you."