Chapter 18 - Disappointment

HURITT

Being the manager on duty is harder than I thought. I know that Row is always busy, but never realized what it meant. I have been helping people to check out the whole morning and did the safety rounds. I had to locate the parents of a little one I found crying and couldn't believe they hadn't notice he was gone. Then together with Olivia, we had to assist a guest with chest pain. All before check in time!

Row called us to let us know that Kitchi had the brain scan and that he's still in the same sad funk after saying goodbye to Monique. Istu has left already to relieve Rowtag at the hospital and tomorrow will be my turn. At least he arranged an extra farm hand for Chris starting on Monday.

After the last family has been checked in, I bring the two front desk ladies some well-deserved coffee and cookies and go to the front porch to get fresh air. Later, I will run the daily reports and check how many reservations we have to adjust the last-minute deals.

"Huritt," I hear a voice say behind me.

I turn around to see Amy, wearing a hunter green overall and with a pair of rubber boots in her hand.

"Hey, Amy. Sorry I haven't been around much in the last days to help at the club. I have also let Alex fend for himself."

"Don't worry. We both know that your brother needs you," she places her hand on my arm. "How is he doing?"

"He's quite ill, but he's a tough man and I'm sure everything will turn all right. Why are you wearing farm clothes?"

"I'm helping Chris until the new guy arrives. He and Sebastian can do the job without a problem but can go home sooner if I give them a hand with the evening feeding." I grab Amy in a hard hug while she laughs. "My goodness! Why the sudden affection?"

"Because I appreciate every small effort. You are... Just amazing," I look straight into Amy's eyes and she blushes.

I then realize that my arms are still around her body, but she doesn't seem to mind. Our faces are close, and I can't resist leaning in.

"Mr. Marshall? I have your mother on the phone," one of the front desk ladies says.

My arms fall limp to my sides and I let out a deep sigh at the ruined moment.

"I will call her back," I say, and she leaves us alone again.

"Chris is waiting for me," Amy says in a soft voice, looking towards the farm area.

"Okay. I will see you in a few days. Tomorrow is my turn to stay at the hospital."

"Send our love to Kitchi. Chris misses him and is worried about him."

"I will."

Amy walks towards the farm, and I can't keep my eyes off of her. I need to tell her how I feel as soon as possible. Since I met her, no other woman is as interesting or as beautiful. I return inside and call Mom. She answers on the first ring.

"What took you so long?" She almost barks.

"I was helping a guest," I lie. "Isn't that what the two of you taught us? The guest comes first."

"I want to know why I am at the airport, and nobody is here to pick me. This is inconsiderate and irresponsible."

"Maybe because nobody cared to tell us that you would arrive today. We thought you were coming in a few days."

"Kitchi is having surgery. He needs me now!"

"I'm the manager on duty and can't leave the ranch right now. Istu is on his way to the hospital but out of your route. I can try to reach Rowtag, but it will take him at least half an hour before he is there."