Chapter 45 - Anahu

KITCHI

Monique and I sit on our bed admiring our precious gift.

"I know you want to look at him forever. Trust me, I do too, but it's past his bedtime."

"But we just got home, and then Grandma held him first and then Dad. A few more minutes, please," I beg.

"Okay, I'm going to take a shower and then time is over," she kisses us both before grabbing her stuff and walking towards the bathroom.

"Your mama is strict, but she knows what's best for you. In the meantime, we'll have some manly time."

My little Allen gives me a sleepy smile and lets out a sweet gurgle. Dad chose his tribal name wisely; Anahu, meaning 'he laughs'. I place him softly on top of my thighs and caress his tuft of black hair. My son is perfect. I never knew I had it in me to make a beautiful, perfect, tiny person.

I've loved him since I learned we were expecting, but from the moment he was born three months ago, he has charmed me; the way he moves, the sounds he makes. I'm even more in love with Monique for giving me this treasure. Today was the first time we leave him with a babysitter so we could attend the opening of the brewery and I was more anxious than Monique to come home again.

My first time with Monique wasn't only intimate and special, it came with the little bonus. Huritt opened my eyes to the risk of what we had done and I spoke with Monique right after. She explained that there was only a small chance of it happening, but after a missed period and stick test, there wasn't a doubt that even a doctor could get it wrong. Monique felt upset about her miscalculation and I tried my best to hide how happy the idea made me. I kept calm, but the moment Grandma saw us coming out of the bedroom, she knew I had exciting news.

Knowing I would become a father gave me the push I needed to get out of my comfort zone and try new things. I want my son to be proud of me and I want to be the best father to him. I can type now and according to Istu I'm probably the quickest two-finger typist in the world. Rowtag hired a tutor to bring me up to speed with my education and I'm doing better than I thought I could, which brought me to the conclusion that Mom never thought me capable of anything. I'm not going to win a Noble prize anytime soon, but I'm able to follow the news and understand conversations. I also tried to drive the service van but ended up fighting with Huritt, who wanted to teach me. I try to read a lot and make a list of the words I forget often. If it worked for Monique, it should work for me.

I've been busy in the last month with our plans to expand the farm and the stables. Chris and I have been visiting other properties to get ideas, and in the meantime have bought horses to offer additional spots on the trail rides. Our staff has grown and now I even count with a teacher who gives riding lessons and is quite popular among the male guests for having a slim body and an ample rear. Monique wasn't pleased with my decision, brought on by her body getting rounder as Allen grew inside her. It was then when I asked her to marry me. I wanted to do it anyway, but she saw my proposal as a peace offering. We stayed living at the ranch so I can tend to the animals and she can be closer to the guests in case of an emergency.

I bring Allen to the dresser and change him into a fresh diaper, pick a white pajama with little blue stars and dress him. His eyes flutter as he fights the sleep. I give him a kiss and put him in his crib.

"Time's up. Our little man needs to go to bed. Oh! You did it already," she smiles fondly at her boy.

"He could barely keep his eyes open. I can barely keep mine open as well. I'm glad that Ben covered the evening feeding for me."

Monique gets comfortable in bed and I join her under the covers. The soapy scent from her skin relaxes me and I pull her closer as we spoon.

"Do you regret it?" I ask.

"Regret what?"

"Living here? Having a baby with me? I guess none of this would have happened if you didn't have the accident. Your life would have been different from what we have."

"I will never regret moving to the valley with you and having a baby. I wish I could have met you without having to go through an accident. You don't give yourself enough credit for what you've done for me and other people. I was at a particularly low point in my life on the day we met. Everything as I knew it was gone, and I felt continually frustrated due to my mom's over-protection and my speech problems which had me fatigued. My hands were uncoordinated and I would trip everywhere, risking a new injury. On that day, I met a man who understood me and who instead of seeing what I couldn't do, helped me to feel free. Every day I would look forward to spending time with you and listening to you telling me about life on the farm. I loved your humor, still do, and couldn't understand why you didn't have a girlfriend with all your good qualities. As time passed and the day I had to leave neared, my stomach hurt at the thought that I would be away from you. When you got sick, it was a struggle for me to think rationally as a doctor. I knew I loved you already then. You are the best husband I could wish for, and you are the best father for Allen."

"I'm grateful for having you both. I never expected much from life because I only wanted to know how it felt to be kissed by a girl who loved me. You've given me more than that simple wish."

Allen wails and I get out of bed, hold him and bring him to us.

"What's going on little man? Are you hungry?" I say to him while caressing his belly.

A rumbling sound comes from his diaper, and Monique and I burst into laughter. Allen yawns and falls asleep again. "Apparently that was it. Good night, baby boy," I kiss his forehead and bring him back to his crib.

I get back in bed and hold Monique in my arms again. "This is bliss."

On the day that Allen was born, I was building one of the new fences to expand the paddock and saw the gray wolf. I felt full of joy and almost ran to the stables to bring my tools back. I told Ben and Chris that I was going home because my wife was about to give birth. They looked at me as if I had lost my mind. 'Grandpa just told me' I shouted behind me and Chris understood immediately what I meant. The moment I opened our bedroom door, I found Monique changing her clothes... Her water had just broken.

The joy I felt at that moment had never left me and hopefully will continue for a long time.

THE END