Chapter 25 - An Adventure

ISTU

We all watch as the helicopter ambulance takes off to bring the hiker to the hospital. The paramedics told us that both legs and possibly some ribs are broken and he was dehydrated. Even in his state, he was thankful and happy to have been found.

"As a thank you for assisting Chris during this emergency, I would like to treat you all to a free dinner at our restaurant—all you care to eat and drink—and want to reimburse your money for the trail ride," Rowtag says to our guests.

"I speak for myself," one of the ladies begins. "I happily accept the dinner, but no need to give me my money back for the ride. This has been the biggest adventure of my life!"

Her friends agree with her proposal and return to the camping to rest after the eventful afternoon. Chris stands next to us staring at nowhere in particular and with his arms wrapped around his body. Rowtag and I exchange a look of concern.

"Chris, please come with me," I put my hand on his shoulder and guide him towards the office.

Chris heads towards the employee lounge, but I motion for him to follow me into our apartment. Grandma looks at us from the kitchen and after seeing the state he's in, leaves the room to give us privacy.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I set a cup of coffee before him.

"I wish I could say that I am. I'm still shocked by everything."

"What really happened? What has you so distressed?"

"I'm afraid you won't believe me if I tell you. I'm still not sure if I believe it myself," Chris finally looks at me.

"Try me."

"We had just passed the first marker on our way back when I saw something moving between the trees. Then suddenly a big wolf appeared in front of my horse, as real and detailed as you are right now. The horses or the guests couldn't see it. I still have the image etched in my brain."

A wolf... Like the one I saw.

"What happened then?" I try to keep calm.

"It kept stomping the ground with its paws, like urging me to follow. I lied to the guests and said I could hear something and wanted to check. The two guys came with me and I followed the wolf. I could see it ahead going down the slope, winding his way around the trees. It looked like a heavy animal Istu, yet it didn't leave any tracks on the muddy areas. Suddenly the wolf vanished, and that is when we heard the hiker."

"That is... Incredible," I say, still processing the information.

"The story doesn't stop there. We got to the man and assisted him, gave him water. The hiker then told us that a dog kept him company and that he knew he would be found somehow. The guests thought he was hallucinating and inside I was freaking out even more."

"The hiker- He saw it as well?" I swallow hard.

"Yeah, only he thought it was a dog. When Huritt saw it, I thought it was due to stress with Kit being ill and my foolish sister turning him down. Then Nadine tells me she has seen it a few times. I believe my girlfriend, of course, but a small part of my brain thought maybe she imagined it."

"My brother and Nadine have seen it?" I start to feel relieved that we are not the only ones.

"Yeah, but Nadine says it's not a real animal. That it is a protective spirit or some weird stuff like that. That it shows up when people are upset or need help."

Upset... Confused... Sad... That is how I felt on the day I saw it and how I still feel about the whole situation with Josh.

"Chris, I have seen the wolf, or whatever it is. It was on the evening we found out Kit needed surgery. It scared the shit out of me because, of course, you don't expect to come across it. At the same time, I wasn't scared of it."

"You kept that well under control, always looking cheerful."

"I try to keep a pleasant attitude for everybody around me, but not everything is what it seems. We all deal with our personal demons. Chris, can I trust you with some of my troubles? I need a neutral view."

"Sure."

"Only my brothers know this. Please, don't share it further with Nadine or with Amy."

"You are worrying me, but go ahead."

"I- I met a man, a guest here from the lodges site. I felt attracted to him from day one, fascinated about his intelligence and kindness. I've never felt like this about a man, because I've only been attracted to women before and now, I'm doubting everything that I knew about myself. We made out once and I'm not sure if I did it to release stress or because I wanted to do it. He was ready to go further, and I kicked him out, treated him like crap. That is not how I am."

"What worries you really? That you didn't treat him kindly or that you doubt about whether you are bisexual?"

"Bisexual... That's how Huritt labeled it. You don't think I might be gay?"

"No. I have seen you flirting with one of the girls from the front desk. You wouldn't do that to put on a show. Maybe you just like both men and women. You haven't answered my question, what bothers you more? How you treated him or how you feel about him?"

"The way I treated Josh," I admit. "What I should do then? This is so fucked up."

"You probably have his contact details on the reservation system. Maybe you can call him to apologize, and at least to give you peace of mind."

"I just heard the best news!" Rowtag comes inside the apartment, a phone in his hand. "Huritt just called me. The doctor told him that Kit can come home again in a few days."

"So soon?" My heart fills with joy as Rowtag nods. "It's only been a few days since the surgery. Are you sure that he is fit enough to recover at home?"

"Yeah, the little bastard is doing more than fine. Today he walked around the hospital floor and told Huritt to fuck off for trying to help him. He still sleeps a lot, but the doctors say he's determined to get out of there. They also don't want him to catch a virus or bacteria from other patients. Home is safer."

"That's great! He also probably wants to get away from Mom to be honest. I thought she would have left by now. Oh, we have Grandma lodging here. What are we going to do about Mom?"

"Huritt had the pleasure of telling her that we can't accommodate her here in the apartment, but that we can set a tent for her at the campsite," Rowtag tries to keep a serious face and fails.

"Did she slap him too?" I laugh and feel fascinated at how ballsy my brother can be.

"No, because the doctor was in the room between them," Rowtag laughs.

"Looking forward to not having to sleep at the hospital, or Mom's sour face," I feel so happy at the thought.

"I don't doubt she will come here to see him, but we have a bodyguard now," Rowtag grins.

"A bodyguard? Your grandmother is like five feet tall," Chris smirks.

"Five feet of kick ass attitude. And here she is," Rowtag points at Grandma. "Kit is coming home soon!"

"Fantastic news! A good home-cooked meal is what he needs to get better instead of that horrible hospital diet. I want to make something special to bring to him. Which one of you handsome men will take me to the big supermarket in the village?"

"That's me," I say.

Rowtag continues talking with Chris about the hiker and Grandma and I get in my car and drive towards the valley center. As I park in front of the supermarket, she places a hand on my arm.

"Istu, loving someone is never wrong," she breaks the silence.

"What do you know? Or should I say, how much do you know?"

"Just enough. Don't mind what others think. Only you can take care of your happiness."

"Thanks, Grandma," I hold her in a long hug.

The tension leaves my body, and now all I wonder is how and when I will right my wrong.