The Mask

"Jinho, meet my boyfriend --" Luhan said when Jinho approached the couple, a smile on his face. A mask to hide what he really felt inside.

"Sehun," Jinho finished, fist bumping Sehun, who was genuinely smiling as he greeted his friend.

Luhan's eyes widen, and his eyes darted between Jinho and Sehun. "You two know each other?!"

"Jinho is the friend I told you about," Sehun said.

"Really!?" Luhan's eyes met Jinho, and although his heart fluttered, it wasn't with the same lightheartedness. No. It felt heavy. Burdensome.

It's never going to be the same anymore.....

Not with Sehun's presence. A fact that was beginning to be painfully obvious as he spotted their interlaced fingers.

"Yeah. We're buds," he said, reminding himself. That's right. We're friends.

"Let's have lunch together," Sehun said.

No. No. Say no. You can't.

"Yes! Come on, Jinho. Join us," Luhan said, big round eyes blinking at Jinho – persuading him. That was all it took.

"Yeah. Sounds fun," Jinho said with a voice he hoped passed for being excited.

"Yay!" Luhan beamed, already tugging Sehun away towards the cafeteria.

Sehun rolled his eyes, but Jinho knew that it wasn't an annoyed eye roll – not with the small smile that accompanied it.

Jinho followed behind, already second guessing his decision to join them. No matter how much he told himself that it was no big deal, he couldn't shake off the fact that he was eating lunch with his best friend and his secret crush. It was bound to be extremely awkward. Right?

"You need more vegetables," Sehun said as he placed a spoonful of broccoli on Luhan's tray.

The smaller boy grimaced (a gesture Jinho found incredibly cute). "Sehun-ahhh."

Sehun shook his head. "You're eating it." He turned his attention to the other dishes, ignoring Luhan's pout.

Jinho didn't really think about it when he spooned the broccoli off the older boy's plate and placed it on his own. Luhan's eyes widen and Jinho smiled. A real smile this time.

Luhan whispered thanks and Jinho whispered, "No problem."

If Sehun saw the whole exchange, he didn't say anything about it.

After getting their lunches, they sat down at a round table next to the big window. Luhan and Sehun naturally sat next to each other with Jinho across from them. He instantly felt out of place when Luhan scooted his chair closer to Sehun – to the point it almost looked like they were sharing a chair.

"I can't believe you two are friends," Luhan said after methodically mixing his rice and meat (there was actually more meat than rice). Sehun, who was watching with disapproval, ended up giving Luhan some of his rice, "to even it out" he told his boyfriend.

"What I can't believe is you two having classes together," Sehun said, eyeing Jinho with sudden interest. "Didn't think you would be a Sociology major."

Jinho shrugged. "Well, what can I say?" What can I say?

"Sociology is cool?" Luhan suggested with a smile, which Jinho returned.

"Pfft. Sure." Sehun turned his attention to Luhan. "Is Jinho the new classmate you were referring to before?"

Luhan nodded. "He's also the guy that almost bought your guitar."