The Chance

"Well, this is nice," Baekhyun said as he walked up to Luhan and Jinho with Chanyeol right behind him, his voice uncharacteristically pleasant given the circumstances. "Hey hyung."

Luhan smiled at him and he returned the gesture. Jinho, on the other hand, looked like he was trying to control his facial expression – to hide how he really felt about seeing Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Judging from the way his eyes darkened, it wasn't positive.

The feeling's mutual, Baekhyun thought as he gazed at Jinho.

"What are you two doing here?" Luhan asked, unaware of the subtle glares Baekhyun and Jinho were throwing at each other.

Chanyeol cleared his throat and nudged Baekhyun, silently telling him to behave.

Understanding his boyfriend's message, Baekhyun eventually turned his attention towards Luhan. "We brought you something."

Chanyeol lifted the plastic bag that had the lunch set to show Luhan. "Since you didn't come to lunch," Chanyeol added.

Luhan gave the two of them an apologetic smile. "Oh, thanks guys. That's really nice of you, but I already ate with Jinho."

Baekhyun's eyes darted back to Jinho. Of course.

"Oh. That's good. We wouldn't want you skipping meals," Chanyeol said, hand slowly reaching out for Baekhyun's. The taller boy could sense the tension between Jinho and Baekhyun that was threatening to boil over any second, so he figured he needed to keep Baekhyun in his grasp to maybe calm the smaller boy down.

"Did you two eat with..." Luhan didn't finish asking his question, instead he fiddled with his fingers, his eyes blinking faster than normal – all indications of his anxiousness.

Baekhyun stopped cursing at Jinho in his head to look at the boy. It was obvious Luhan was asking about Sehun, but judging from the way he was acting fidgety, Baekhyun assumed Luhan couldn't decide on whether asking that was a good idea or not. On one hand, he gets to find out whether Sehun has eaten, which would probably give him relief since he's always been naturally worried toward his boyfriend.

But on the other, he gets to find out that Sehun did in fact have lunch without him, which couldn't possibly make him feel better about their rift – it'd probably sting.

Baekhyun felt really bad for the older boy. He wanted to just give Luhan a big hug, and from the way Jinho was looking at Luhan, Baekhyun could tell he wasn't the only one.

"Yeah, we did," Chanyeol answered softly, also aware of Luhan's inner dilemma.

Luhan blinked, and for a millisecond, Baekhyun caught sight of his lips twitching downwards, but Luhan somehow managed not to frown. "Oh," he said in voice that didn't quite hide his disappointment as well as his expression did.

Quickly, Luhan turned to face Jinho. "I have to go to my next class. I'll see you later."

Jinho smiled, and Baekhyun swore he has never wanted to slap a person as much as he does now. "Yeah, hyung. Later."

Luhan half-smiled at Baekhyun and Chanyeol. "Later guys."

Before Baekhyun could say something, Luhan had walked off, shoulders down and head hung low.

With his eyes on Luhan, Baekhyun sighed. Sehun, I hope you know what you're doing.

"Are you going to tell me to back off again?" Jinho asked, his icy voice causing Baekhyun to turn back to look at him. "Come on. Let's get this over with."

Baekhyun scoffed. "You got balls."

Jinho crossed his arms. "Is that it?" he asked, face unamused.