Chapter 40

A/N: Terribly sorry. We got too many email notifications that I decided to change the email to our account. Turns out wattpad locked us out of our account and I've had to wait a week for the activation email...

Anyways, enjoy the chapt!

------------------------------------------

'I have to move back to Australia...' The words from my best friend repeat itself in my mind, and I remain dumbstruck with disbelief. As it starts to sink in, my eyes well up fast with tears, and I find myself shaking my head vigorously as if it could erase everything circling in my thoughts.

"No, this can't be happening Sky! Why?! Please tell me you're joking!" I cry desperately, looking over at her through watery eyes, miraculously hoping for her to tell me it was all part of a joke...

I get nothing but silence.

"No! Sky! Talk to me! Please! Say it isn't true!" I start to feel light headed, breaking down from everything and throwing a fit.

I feel Dan's arms quickly wrap around me, preventing me from any rash actions. "Mia, babe, it's okay, everything's fine," he whispers softly and calmly. Although I recognise the shock and disbelief in his eyes, I control myself and calm down from the sudden rush of emotions. Feeling weak, I sink further down on the couch with my loud breaths and sobs filling the room.

Dan gently wipes the tears from my eyes and I see the concerned look on his face. I try to give him a smile to reassure him, but I can't.

I look back over at Sky. She's staring at the floor, breathing deeply, with tears streaming down her face, trying to soften her sniffling and calm down from crying also.

"I'm sorry," she says, barely audible and her voice shaky.

I wish I could just say 'It's okay' and move on, but I can't. So I don't say anything for now.

An agonizing silence passes before I speak. "Why?" I ask blankly, glad to hear there was no panic in my voice.

"Grandpa doesn't want to stay in the house anymore. He says everything in there reminds him of grandma, so he wants to move back to Australia for the rest of his years. They've had the house since moving here from Aussie after they got married; I guess it makes sense he wants to move out now. So my parents don't have a reason for being here anymore, and they want me to go back with them."

The new load of information topples my emotional state, but I try to keep myself calm and hold myself together.

"Tell them you don't want to go?" I suggest tentatively.

"I've tried, but they're staying firm," Sky sighs deeply. I can tell that it's taking every ounce of her control to not break out and scream.

She fiddles with the sleeves covering half of her hands and her mouth and eyes are tightly squeezed shut.

I open my mouth to say something but I'm at a loss for words. Instead, I curl over and cover my head with my arms, attempting to shield myself from the world. Maybe I'll wake up in bed soon enough and realise that this has all just been a horrible nightmare?

C'mon Mia, time to wake up!

I don't.

The truth and reality snaps in my mind and I feel my heart break.

I look up to see Sky looking right at me with tears in her eyes and she wraps her arms around me.

"I'm sorry," she sobs again into my shoulder.

I lose myself completely. We rock back and forth crying into each others arms.

After what felt like hours, I remember Dan's presence in the room and I turn to him to see him in tears too. I hug him but pull away quickly. This is just all too much.