Chapter 1

Ugh. Bloody alarm. Why is it set to 7am anyway? I press the ‘Snooze’ button frustratingly. I roll over to my side and take a glance at my phone. My eyes widen at the date I almost fall out of bed. Today! It’s today! Skylar lands today! After getting ready, I eat breakfast at record pace. I call a taxi and head towards the airport, excited to finally see my friend who I haven’t seen in 2 years.

10 minutes later, I find myself lost in the swarm of people at the airport, who knew it’d be this busy!

Suddenly, a pair of hands covers my eyes from behind. I turn around to find Skylar standing there with a HUGE grin on her face.

“Ahhh! Oh my gosh! Hi!!” I say going in for a huge hug.

“Alright. I gotta eat! Hungry as hell! 20 hour flights are not my thing” Skylar replies quickly.

I laugh, I knew this about her- she has always hated plane food. No matter what the food was she'd always throw it right back up if she ate it. Nonetheless, it’s so great seeing her in person after so long.

We look around for a place to eat at arrival terminal.

“McDonalds!  You keen?”

She instantly yanks me towards the place as soon as the words leave my mouth. Someone must be starving…

After getting the food and scoffing it down, we sit at the table catching up. Though there weren’t really many things to catch up on, there was practically nothing we didn’t know about each other. We’ve known each other since we were little, so you can say we’re practically like sisters.

All of a sudden Sky’s large coke explodes.

“Hey watch it!” Skylar yells as we turned around to see a boy’s mortified expression.

His eyes widen, staring at the mess he made in horror.

"Ah shit! I’m so sorry!" he says frantically "Me, ah, my mate and I were throwing nuggets.. and.. ah I'm sorry” The boy continues, stumbling over his words as he looks up with apologetic eyes and his face turning red with embarrassment.

“Oh.. um that's okay.” Skylar replies quietly. I look at her, her face starts turning red, obviously smitten. I nudge her arm teasingly; Sky shoots me a look that tells me to mind my own business. I roll my eyes at them both as they begin their small talk. All of a sudden,

“Micky! Mate! Stop your flirting! It's your turn to chuck me one” A voice booms from a distance.

"Dan, shut up. Look at what you did"

My head snaps up. Dan? Where have I heard that name before?

My eyes slowly move up to find a familiar pair of eyes. His face; his smile; his brown hair that almost covered his eyes.  Things clicked into place. The familiar face. He’s Dan. The same boy Kalia and I had talked to, back at the New Year’s party. He was the one guy that made an impression on me. I smile at the ground now, stomach full of butterflies, as I tug at the sleeves of my hoodie, pulling them over my hands.

That night, he had come over to talk us. It was a short exchange, and Kalia talked to him most of the time. I didn’t really mind, being the shy person I am. Fully immersed in the conversation he was having with Kalia, between all the joke cracking and laughing, I sensed that he glanced over at me a few times, as if trying to catch my attention to talk to me that night.

“Hi Mia, it’s very nice seeing you again.” He says to me, smiling his cute smile.

I snap out of my flashback. How long I was out? Feeling overwhelmed, I let out a simple “Hi! How are you Dan?”

“I’m great! Now that I’m seeing you again,” Dan says winking, then laughing.

I could feel the blood rush to my face, but before I could reply our attention turns to Micky, who had obviously said something funny, as he and Skylar are both laughing hysterically.

“Woah! Calm down you two. Take it slow!” Dan says to Micky teasingly. Micky simply sticks his tongue out at Dan, and continues to what seems like a very flirty conversation with Sky.

My thoughts flooded back to Dan. What do I say to him now? “So..um..” I stopped, what next!? That’s pathetic Amelia, why are you so shy! I mentally slap myself.

Meanwhile Dan, glances up at the big airport clock while popping another chicken nugget into his mouth, his eyes widen when he realises the time. “Shit! Micky! We have to go soon! We promised to meet up with Greg and sort some stuff out remember?”

Who’s Greg? Why was this meeting so important?

His eyes locks into mine. “Could I maybe borrow your phone for a bit Mia?” he smiles mischievously.

“No! How will I know what you’re gonna do with it!” I reply teasingly, hiding my phone behind my back giggling.

“Oh alright, you’re gonna play that game eh?” Dan yells as I find myself running away from him as he chases after me to get my phone. Catching me off guard, he grabs me from behind. His hands brushes against mine and his fingers gently pry my phone away from my grasp.

He laughs as I stand there watching him key something into my phone. After a few seconds, he hands it back to me, with a cheeky look on his face. I look down at my phone; it was open on my contacts page, smooth Dan. I start scrolling down the list. “Dan ;)” the contact name reads.

I look up, giggling, most likely blushing too.

“Well, Micky and I got to go now! It was awesome getting to see you a second time, hopefully there can be a third?” He says over his shoulder, walking off with Micky.

“haha, we’ll see. Bye Dan!” I yell back, as he walks out of the airport.

I turn to Skylar, her face red and her smile reaches her ear. You could tell that something extraordinary had happened between her and Micky.

“Someone’s New Year’s resolution is obviously coming true eh?” I wink at her.

“Oh please! What was that between you and Dan? Getting all close and personal, and didn’t he give you his number too? Dan and Amelia sitting in a tree!” She shouts in a sing-song voice. “Oh shut up! I saw you flirting with Micky, don’t lie.” I snap back, defending my case, but smiling from ear to ear.

We head home. But I couldn’t stop thinking about one thing. About Dan. Do I tell Kalia I saw him again? We weren’t that close to know each other’s relationship life. Not that me and Dan have anything going on. But what does Kalia think of Dan after talking to him at the party? I remember her talking to me about him as we were heading home that night. Nonetheless, Sky is here with me, that’s all that mattered.