Chapter 3

We sit in the studio, as the boys take turns telling us about their life together as a band- the pranks and jokes they pulled on each other, the fans, their music and their potential future. I sit there silent most of the time, only occasionally joining in the conversation and laughing at their jokes. Don’t get me wrong! Everything said was all very interesting, but I’m just so confused. Confused as to what I feel for Dan, and also what he thinks of me. I mean, it probably doesn’t even matter now anyway, his flirty actions toward me are sweet and all, but it probably means nothing. He IS part of a BOYBAND, bloody hell it wouldn’t surprise me if he has girls falling at his feet everywhere he goes... I mean with those looks, that hair, that smile... 

“Mia!” Sky yells.  

My attention snaps up to her blushing face. 

“You okay Mia?” She laughs nervously, raising her eyebrows at me silently asking if I was okay. I must’ve been drooling. 

Micky’s arm draped around her shoulder, they look very cosy.  

“What? Yes I’m fine,” laughing it off, aware that all eyes are on me, “Carry on, what were you guys saying?” 

Greg continues his story; he’s very chatty and funny. It isn’t hard to like him.  

Dan and I are left alone in the room now. Greg has gone off to get some food, and Micky has dragged Sky off somewhere.  

I have to admit I’ve developed some of a crush on Dan over the last days. He’s funny, caring, and cute- everything I look for in a boy. But I guess it doesn’t even matter now. He’s in a band, probably already has a girlfriend, and if not, there are so many other girls out there better than me. 

“Hey Mia? Are you alright? You’ve been awfully quiet,” Dan says, looking a bit worried. He scoots over closer to me, putting his arm around me, pulling me closer to him. 

His familiar scent making me smile and lightheaded. I feel secure and safe with him around. 

“Yeah. I’m fine. I’m just a bit tired,” I lie. 

Dan takes a strand of my hair, and starts to play around with it in the weirdest ways possible. He makes a moustache and starts pulling funny faces; he twirls my hair with his fingers, trying to curl and mess up my naturally straight hair, he doesn’t exactly succeed.  

Laughing, I mess up his perfectly styled brown hair. 

“Hah! I win!” I say, poking my tongue out teasingly at him. 

“Not the hair!” He exclaims, laughing at me, I watch as he desperately tries to brush it back in place. 

We fall silent for a bit after the laughter dies down, as I rest on his shoulder. 

“I gotta record my part of the song now. You wanna listen?” He whispers softly, while pushing a strand of my hair behind my ear. 

I look up at his brown eyes that seem to scream with excitement. I nod my head briefly, full of curiosity. I watch as he gets up to walk to the recording booth. He gives me a little smile through the glass window, and starts singing. It was a cover of Bruno Mars’ “Just the Way You Are”. 

I stare at the ground the whole time as he sings the verse. I lift my head now, to find Dan’s eyes looking into mine as he sings the chorus- as if he’s singing the song to me… no. He isn’t. It’s just the song. He smiles, making me blush and my eyes wander down to the floor again where keep my gaze there for the rest of his recording session. The butterflies in my stomach return. I want to know what he thinks of me, but I would never dare to go straight up to him and ask… 

“What did you think?” Dan says walking out of the booth tilting his head to the side with an anxious looking expression on his face. 

I bite the insides of my cheeks to try stopping myself from laughing; he really has no idea that his voice is incredible. 

“You’re an amazing singer Dan, and you got so into the song. I loved it!” I tell him. What else can I say? It wasn’t a lie though, nor was it an exaggeration of a compliment; his voice is so unique, it gives me Goosebumps. 

“That’s because I was thinking of one special person the whole time I was singing,” He says, smiling at me.  

My heart somersaults, what did he mean?  

“Who? Micky? Yeah, I always knew you two had a bit of a bromance going on, good on ya Dan!” I say teasingly, trying to cover up any of my insecure thoughts.  

“What!? You know!? I thought we kept it on the down low pretty well. Don’t tell anyone!” He replies, laughing as he makes his way over to sit beside me again. 

“Yeah it’s pretty obvious Dan, make sure Sky doesn’t find out or she’ll blow” 

We both laugh until he returns the conversation to a tone of seriousness. 

“Actually, I was thinking of you Amelia,” He says, looking down at his feet.