Meeting Someone New

Joseph POV

I woke to the sounds of Jojo singing The Little Einstein's. I looked around and saw no Kate. Oh no...where is she? I leaned up a little and saw a note in the chair. What if she left and is never coming back? Why did I have to bring that up yesterday. I picked up the note and it read:

Joseph I know you're going to be upset that I left, but there was an emergency at the Playhouse that needed to be handled. I promise you that I will be back as soon as I handle this situation.

Love,
Kate

"She's right about the love part." I whispered to myself.

"Daddy!" My Jojo came over and jumped onto the bed.

"Jojo!" I exclaimed pulling her into my tight hold.

"Daddy...I missed you. I thought you weren't going to wake up but Miss Kate told me that God was going to wake you up and all I had to do was be patient. I think I can go fishing now! I'm patient! "She exclaimed. Wow she did take good care of her. She didn't give up on me. I could feel her presence ever day but I couldn't open my eyes.

"Yes you can go fishing as soon as I'm out of here." She smiled and started to jump up and down.

"Wait! Stop jumping baby girl daddy's still hurting." I said to my daughter and she threw herself onto my neck with a death grip like hug.

"Miss Kate said that a hug a day will keep the pain away." She smiled. It amazes me how great she is with kids.

"Miss Kate told you a lot of things?"She nodded her head in response. The door opened and our heads went flying in the direction of the source. My Secretary.

Kate POV

I had finally made it back to little ole DUB, and I was on my way to the Playhouse. Kyla had called in the middle of the night and she said we had an emergency and I had to be there to handle it. I didn't even stop by my house, I decided to go straight to the Playhouse.

Once there I walked in and walked up to my office. I finally made it up the stairs and opened the door. To my left I see Kyla and my right, on the couch, was a little girl with a head full of hair and pretty Brown skin. And what looked to be fresh new clothes.

"Kyla what's going on? What's the emergency?" I asked watching the little girl. She couldn't be no older than 5 or 6.

"Well....Kate we found this little girl. She didn't know where her parents were. She said that they were coming to get her but they haven't come back yet. Either they got hurt somewhere or they just up and abandoned her. She also gave me a note and I want you to read it." I walked over and grabbed the dirty little paper and it read:

Kate...I know this may seem like a lot to ask but I want you to keep my child. I can't take care of her and I knew you would take better care of her than any adoption agency. I didn't want to put her through that. Her name is Makita and she's 7 years old. Please take good care of her. Her birth certificate is in the envelope. I signed it over to you in your name. Please forgive me. Since attending your program I've wanted to change my life so I moved to another state away from my abusive family. Although I escaped them I couldn't take the girl so I just left her to you. One day I'll be back to see how she's doing, but I have to make it in this world.

Sincerely,
Anonymous

Oh my god. I have a child in my custody. A child I know nothing about. No parents or anything. I pictured my first child coming from me, but this changes my whole life. I don't know anything about taking care of children. Sure holding a child for a while but being responsible for their life.