1.4

I unlocked the front door for myself and dropped my school bag in the entrance way. I walked to my right where the living room was and fell back onto the couch. My grandma sat on her chair, staring out the window, watching for when I would get home.

She turned her chair around to gave me, now that I was inside, "How was your day at school?"
"Horrible!" I threw my hands up in the air.
"How come?"
"You know Brooklyn?"
"The Beckham?" She asked, scooting to the edge of her seat, knowing this was important.
"He told me his mother invited me over for this fancy dinner thing."
"That sounds like good news to me."
"No! It's not! She doesn't like me, grandma!"
"Oh, sweetie, of course she does."
"No, she doesn't," I stood up and began pacing back and forth, "because that last time I was there, she-"

I stopped myself from saying something I would regret. I didn't mention the sweater part and sleeping over.

"She didn't know I was invited over by Brooklyn."
"And she didn't know you'd be spending the night I assume?"
I face palmed, "It's not what it sounds like."
"No, no, I understand completely. Young love at its finest."
"No!" I screamed.
"Correct me if I'm wrong."
"We're just friends, that's it."
"Alright, so the problem here is?"
"Victoria despises me and now she's probably going to give me a hard time at that stupid dinner over at there place."
"Isabelle, is Brooklyn your friend?"
"Yes."
"Are you his friend?"
"Yes."
"Then Mrs. Beckham will have to accept it at some point. Maybe she's just curious, she doesn't know the full story of what's going on yet, so tell her."

I sighed knowing that my grandma's words were right. I would just have to explain and hope for the best. She'd have to let Brooklyn and I be friends, right? Maybe not right away, but with time.

"But it's all formal, I don't know what to wear."
"Wear your black dress your mother bought you for special occasions. Remember you wore it out to dinner with me when you last visited. This seems to me like a special occasion. You're having dinner with the Beckhams."
"I guess... But like which shoes, how about hair, makeup?"
"It's a bit fancier, so go fancy, but remember it's also formal, so don't go overboard."
"Ok, ok."
"Calm down, why are you so concerned? When's the dinner?"
"Tomorrow night at their place."
"I see."
"Exactly..."

I let out a breath that I had been holding and fell back onto the couch. I covered my face with my hands.

"Isabelle."
"Mhm," I mumbled.
"Everything will work itself out."
"And how do you know that, grandma?"
"I know."
"Ugh," I covered my face again.

My grandmother stood up and left the room. I didn't know where she was going and why she'd leave me in a time like this. Shortly, she returned and sat down next to me.

"Look up."

I did.

"See this here?" She was holding a little wooden box, "This was a gift given to me by my mother."
"How come my mom isn't handing it down to me then?"
"Because she told me to give it to someone I cared about."
"What about my mom, you love her, right?"
"Of course I do, but there was never a good time to give this to her, so I saved it. I saved it for you."
"For me?" She nodded, "Why me?"
"At a time like this, it looks like you need it."

I started paying more attention to what she was saying now.

My grandma opened the tiny wooden box and revealed a gorgeous necklace.

"It's for you."
"Oh no, grandma, I can't take that!"

She pulled it out. A small oval shaped locket hung from the long gold chain.

"This is too much!"
"It's yours now, Isabelle."

I didn't know what else to say. The necklace was beautiful. Her hands brought the necklace up to my eyes. I stared at it as she put it around my neck.