Chapter 30

The adrenaline of salt water flushed through my parted lips ready for its exit. I was coughing for my life, I could still smell the salt water caught in my throat. It was dry and disturbing. I observed my surrounding, to see I was back in the beach house.

My hair was dry and I was changed, it must have been a whole day. I was in one of the guest room and I could barely make up the mirror in front of me, but it was easy to identify the semi sun a part of the sunset. 

It was the home smell of cream soup that lifted me up from the bed. The smell led me to the kitchen where Nick was standing there in a hoodie and a pair of shorts, a totally new attire.

"Feeling better? Are you ready to eat?" he put the pot aside and came over.

"I'm good," I pulled up a chair and sat down, "You pulled me out from the water?"

"Yea," his brow twitched when answering, he was hesitant to say something. To void me asking, he went to get me to bowl of soup. "Eat."

"Did you want to say something?" I picked up the silver utensil and scooped a puddle of viscous cream soup into my mouth while his brown orbs shifted left to right, unsure if he should speak up. But I was persistent, "Nick. What is it?"

His eyes met with mine and finally spoke, "Were you trying to drown yourself?"

"I-Wh-I wasn't trying to d-drown myself," I said defensively. "I had a cramp in my leg."

"Okay," he surrendered, raising both his arms, "Just worried."

"What are you worried about anyways? You think I'd jump out of life?" I joked taking in another bite. Which is like the best soup ever, never knew he could cook. At least not this good.

He chuckles, "You're the type to challenge things in life, who knows."

"But I'm not stupid."

"I think we know the answer to that," I laughed at his comeback, but a message came from his phone and his face turned serious.  He texted them back quickly, but I didn't have a clue as to who he was replying to. Though his face spoke for him.

He glances up and pondered whether to speak up or not. It was sort of pissing me off. I wish he would just ask if he had a question. Plus, it felt as if he was talking about me.

We were just laughing and talking like we used to and now he screws it up.

"Sel... I have to be honest with you. Last night your sister called me, it wasn't Demi. She told me to come get you--" his sentence surrendered when I dropped the spoon making a loud clank as it hit the table.

"You--why would you listen to her?"

"They're your parents, they're just worried about you. You ran off once and they just want to know you're safe," he explained, "Look I don't know what happened with your family b--"

"You're right you don't," I said it so quick as if I was racing to shut him up from saying something I don't want to hear.

"But if you would just talk-"

"I'm done talking Nick," I said sliding off the chair ready to take off again.

"Would you just listen Sel?!" his voice stormed like the thunder, it was loud that I felt my heart jump, "Stop running away, whatever it is that they did to hurt you, you should still try to fix things up."

My eyes narrowed into a glare, "Are you speaking for yourself right now?"

"What's that suppose to mean?" he sounded pissed, his voice was stern and clearly he was offended as he was so taken back by question.