Chapter 46

Ever since the shooting, that is all everyone has been talking about in town. A lot of the people filled my dad's ICU room with flowers, fruit baskets and greeting cards in less than a week. Most were people from town and a few were business partners. 

It's been a week and a half already since the accident. Although my dad woke up the day after the surgery, the doctor recommended him to stay hospitalized until he was completely stabilized. Mom and I are constantly taking turns at the hospitals to visit him. This is the first time I think, seeing my mom drop all of her work to care for a person.

It was unusual for me, but somewhere inside I feel a warm seeing how she actually care. 

Rachel's due date was soon, so she was already scheduled into the hospital. Luckily the OB-GYN department was not too far off from where dad's room. After visiting my dad I would typically go in to check on Rachel, and almost everytime Adam's family would be waiting there with her. 

Sometimes the kids come to visit their mother too. I tried helping out by babysitting the kids, they go to camp anyways so all I have to do is feed them and pick them up.

Suddenly on the break of a Wednesday morning at like 1AM, I receive a call from Adam screaming in joy that Rachel was going to go in labor. I woke my mom up and we rushed to the hospital, the in-laws were already sitting outside waiting. 

"Are they inside already?" My mother rushed to ask.

"Yes, Selena," Adam's mother answers and turns to me, "Rachel asks you to go in."

I wasn't sure if I was really allowed in, but it was as if on cue, Adam came out. We both ran into the horrific sound of my sister's scream. The doctor encouraged her to push, but all I could feel were my ears turning numb from her screams and the her nails digging into my skin. 

I guess birth is hard no matter how many times you do it. Sigh.

"C'mon Rach, push!" I said.

"Okay, the baby's head is out, just give me one big push," the doctor says. We couldn't see what's going on, on the other side because Rach's thighs were up and her gown had luckily covered everything from our view.

Probably a minute or two later we heard the cry of my niece. The nurses cleaned her up and brought her over to Rachel who was so sweaty from the labor. 

"Hey baby," Rachel's pants as she held the little peanut-sized baby in her arms. 

"Thanks babe," Adam kisses my sister's the head, "You did great."

"What are you going to name her?" I asked.

"Aurora Arlo," she smiles at Adam who gave her another kiss.

The nurses had to take the baby to the nursery room until Rachel is cleaned and brought back to her  room. Adam and I had to leave for that part. Both his parents were happy to have finally had a granddaughter. My mom was just as thrilled, she said is going to visit Rachel then go to tell dad.

After the day of labor, mom and I would constantly go and visit baby Aurora. Though, Rachel was discharged two days after. The boys at home were more than thrilled to finally meet their sister and to see their mom.

I helped bring the luggage home for Rachel and Adam while they took their own car. On the way driving there, I saw Olivia and Nick on the street. Traffic was slow and gave me a chance to watch clearly of what was happening.

The shoved and pushed, both looking furiously at one another. The car honked me from behind and I had to drive off. I saw her walk away from Nick crying just before having to drive off.

I wonder what happened. Perhaps the she found out what happened that night of the shooting. The truth. I went to drop off the bags for Rachel and watched Aurora and the boys for a bit before leaving.

I planned to go to the hospital to visit my dad. But driving by the beach has me mesmerized by the sunset. I parked the car aside and went in for a stroll, I still had an hour before visiting hours are over.

It has never occurred to me the beauty of eating ice cream while walking on the pier. But now watching the sunset soaking in, a rush of emotions shifted in as well. The smell of the sea water and the breeze from salt water.

I sat down by a bench watching people coming up to the end of the pier taking pictures. I smiled and continued to lick my ice cream while watching the sunset. 

"Damn it!" I heard a familiar voice shout as he slammed his hand on the rim of the fence. It scared a few people on the pier--well it caught their attention at least. I looked and saw the familiar face, it was a natural instinct for my feet to pace over to him.

"Nick...?" 

He turned around, his lips were locked, but he gave a small smile in my direction, looking almost embarrassed.

I smiled and we took a seat a bench further from the crowd of people who were obsessively taking pictures of the sunset. "Are you okay?"

"Yea," he huffed, avoiding eye contact from me, "It's nothing."

"You seemed a bit angry, if that wasn't obvious," I chuckle, sitting back.

"No kidding," he muffles under his breath, stretching forward with his elbows pressed on his knees.

The silence hit us quick. It was perhaps more awkward than the night at the hospital. I rather us fight and yell at one another than to have this silence. I got up as soon as I finished my ice cream.

"Olivia is going back to Los Angeles tonight," he suddenly says, I turned around, "A-And I'm going to have to go with her."

I put on a smile and nodded, "Have a safe flight back."

"That's it?" he asks, a bit taken back. When I just stood there he stood up with his arms opened and a smile grew on his face, "At least a hug good bye."

I smiled and grasped onto the hug. As soon as we made contact, I felt a surge of butterflies in my stomach, I guess this is a good way to seal the summer.

"I'm going to miss you," I heard him muffle on my head. 

I had to break away before I make another regret. "Sorry I have to go." I pushed him off of me and ran down the pier, the tears burst through my sockets as soon as I pulled away. 

When I looked back I noticed he didn't follow, instead he just stood there looking off to the ocean. 

---------

Don't hate me! Sorry for this long ass wait, I now have a semester off so I hope I could write more stories and really finish this story soon. I really feel bad for having a hiatus.

Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed this, more to come this week!

Thanks for the support!