Chapter 43

"He's still out there?" my dad scared me from behind. My parents were setting up for breakfast while I stood by the window watching Nick picking on the flowers in my garden. He was sitting by the pavement floor where I had a perfect sight of him.

I sighed and nodded, in response to my dad.

"I'm not too fond of that guy, but I think you need to face this sometime and clear the air," my dad sighed, as he stood next to me watching Nick.

"Let's just have breakfast," I hesitantly teared myself away from the window and met at the breakfast table with my mother.

Breakfast went out smoothly, my parents tried to get me out of my head by luring me into conversations on various topics. I guess it is in their nature, but somehow we ended up talking about laws and cases.

They started to debate about a murder case they saw on the newspaper about a psycho that axed down his entire family. Maybe that psycho was suffering inside and just didn't know how to handle it. My father was a softie, he believed that psycho wasn't completely nuts, while my mother was strong on, arguing that the law shouldn't pardon his prison time because psychologists detected he has some twisted mental illness. 

My mind was blank, their argument was no longer processing in my brain. I looked out the window from a distance, he was now pacing back and forth and staring at the tree.

I watched intently, seeing him pull out something from his pocket and he stuffed it into the tree hole. What was it? Why did he do it?  Questions blurred my mind as I saw him coming forward, back to the concrete floor he was sitting on.

I sighed and returned my attention to my parents. They were still debating whether or not the judge was right, by putting him in a mental institution.

"Selena, what do you think?" my mother finally turns to me.

"Hmm?" I was at lost, I missed out on all their points in the argument. They would judge me either way, my answer never satisfies them. They would always go in depth and explain the why. "W-Well he's still human. We all have right and wrongs, he probably feels awful for killing them."

"Of course he does, but that is four lives right there--four innocent lives taken away, he should have some kind of penalty he should face!" my mother aggressively argued.

"Mental illness is a sickness, he is a patient. A patient that is mentally sick, he doesn't know what he's doing," my father persisted, but he was soon interrupted by his cell phone. "Hello? Yes speaking." 

He gets up to take his call in another room while my mother sighed and started to clean up the dishes on the table. I helped her bring the plates and cups to the sink.

I couldn't help but try to peak out the window, despite that I cannot see him from this view if he were to be sitting on the concrete floor again.

"If you want to keep up this wall, don't let him break through so easily," I turned to my mother who was grinning. "Sweet heart, if you think he is worth fighting for, don't give up on him. But if this is also hurting you too much, you need to be strong. Keep up that barricade and don't let them cave in so easily."

I faintly smiled at her words of wisdom, "Thanks mom."

"I don't want him sitting out there when your father and I need to leave the house," she passes the kitchen doors and disappears to her bedroom. I assume they were going to change for work.

It's not like I don't want to face him. I'm just not ready yet. He made a promise to me, I just wanted him to keep that promise, is that so wrong? Or maybe I was wrong. Why did I let him destroy the wall I worked so hard on for the past years? Why didn't I stay strong and fight him off?