Chapter 10

Don't cry Selena. Don't break down that wall of pride you tried so hard to build. Don't cry. I tried to convince myself. But it looks like my pride has brought me down, it could not help but let the tears fall free from its sockets. I started running through the wet grass in my new pair of Louis Vuitton designer heels.

I sense his tracks come behind, my steps felt heavier but faster. I was out breath within 3 meters to the parking lot. I turned to see him out of breath as well, I took that opportunity to run out to the road and hid behind a tree to call for a cab.

Considering this forest, deserted area from the town, I hope there aren't any grizzly bears or koyotes or even wolves. I breathed in and out to reach a steady level of breath to call the cab.

Just as my cab arrived, I see Nick's car turn out the parking lot. I duck immediately to avoid the possibilties for him to take notice of my prescence. I realized I hadn't even told the driver where we're heading.

"1739 Henna Gardens Crescent, please hurry," I asked the driver, our vehicle soon started. I sense the light flash through the window, assuming it would be Nick's.

I sat up again and watch the taxi cab descend its distant from Nick's car that stayed as is by the parking exit. The tears stopped coming.

Coming back was a horrible idea, I shouldn't have came home. It brought back bad memories. I wish I could go back to my normal routine and live the sober life, despite my hatred toward law school.

Everything would've stayed the same and I wouldn't have heard of the name Nick Jonas until the day I receive and invitation to his wedding with Olivia.

Olivia... Miss Universe compared to me... the gap is huge.

If I was Nick I think I would choose her too. She's probably 100 times better than a snappy, stubborn and obnoxious high school first love like me.

Not even first love, I don't think he even considered me as a past girlfriend. Our relationship was always on and off.

I hadn't notice I fell asleep until the driver woke me up. I paid the cab and got my keys out to head in, it was merely 9:30. I sighed, and went inside the house.

Everyone was already asleep, the house was dark besides the hallways that were always lit up. I went to my room and changed out of the dress into a giant tee and sleeping shorts. I snuggled into my blanket until the next day came and I can start my count down to go back to college and cry over law school.

Maybe this is all a dream, when I wake up, I will be in my dorm with crazy Stacy, my roomate and we can resume crying over our desire to burn our law books together.

[...]

But it was not.

I woke up the next morning at the sound of my nephews screaming for me to wake up. Even the three year old Ethan was sitting top of my stomach slothering me with kisses and the the older one, Landon was shaking me.

I laugh and woke up feeling the saliva slobber my face, "Morning guys..."

I feel like a mother in those Ikea commercials advertising the beds and Ikea furniture where they wake up to their kids jumping into their bed to wake them up.

"Aunt Selly! Wakey!" they chant in unison.

I sat up, "What are you little monkeys intruding my dream for?"

"Patty" Ethan jumps up on the bed.

"He meant party," Landon explains, then pulling on his brother's hand, "C'mon Ethan, let's go eat pancakes now."

"Pancakes?! I'm so racing you guys!" I holler in excitement, I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs in a slower pace than the boys to the kitchen. Momma was by the stove flipping chocolate chip pancakes, Rachel was already started on the stack of blueberry and so was dad.

"HOLDDD!" I scream from the top of my lungs, having everyone stare at me. I hadn't notice Adam was here as well, until I saw him reach to pick up Ethan. I laugh nervously, "Pancakes... save me some... brush... teeth.. Be right back!"

I ran up quickly to change into a flowy white summer dress and a pair of brown leather wedges. Almost tripped as I ran back down for my pancakes.

Although the stack went down and no had really saved me any pieces. I sat down next to my dad and across from mom.

"Morning," I brushed my hair back and digged in on my chocolate chip pancakes.

"Slow down honey," my mother laughs, "You have the whole day to eat this."

"I have a.." eat "year.. if only-" eat "I wasn't at-" eat "law school."

My dad finishes his last piece, "I'm heading out honey, don't forget to tell her. Have a nice day my ladies and Adam..."

"I will, I'll see you at work," my mother snatches a kiss from him just before he gets up.

"Bye daddy," Rach and I say in unison as our dad picks up his blazer and headed for the door. 

I dropped my fork and knife suspicious of this thing they seem to be hiding, "Tell me what?"

My mother turns her attention to me, "Oh someone dropped off flowers for you this early morning when we went to get the newspaper. We placed the flowers on your desk."

My brain was still processing everything, flowers? Who from?"

"They were pretty pink carnations," my sister comments as she fed Landon.

"Yea, I got to admit. And with the red cammelias, looks like this dude has a crush on my sister in law," Adam adds in with a tease.

I gave a nervous laugh and finished my plate quickly to go upstairs to find those flowers. How can I possibly not see them?

Oh wait, because I was in a hurry to eat those pancakes I yearned for every year until I come home. I opened the door to see a nicely packed bouquet on the desk. I picked it up smelling the fresh aroma of summer captured by the flowers.

I picked up the note, it read:

I'm sorry for last night. Please accept this bouquet as an apology, I truly want to be friends again. Sorry that we ended things in the wrong way and unofficial. The flowers reminded me of your smile when you recieved a crosage from me at prom, and I hope I could see that smile again, hopefully this morning when you saw the bouquet. The pink carnations mean I'll never forget you, I'll never forget what we had. The red cammellias... you're still the flame in my heart.

~ Nick J.

Well he predicted right, I smiled. But I shouldn't be feeling that bloom of joy, because it's making me feel like there is hope between us. When there is absolutely nothing, especially the fact that he has a girlfriend that exceeds any men's standards for a woman they want to live the rest of their life with.

Some reason, my fingers made its way to my cellular device and texted.

Apology accepted, thank you for the flowers. <3