Chapter Three: Understanding

Liam and I burst into Stiles' room, but I run into the dry erase board and fall back into Liam. We tumble to the floor, and I laugh, "I see my clumsiness hasn't gone anywhere." Liam mumbles, "I can feel that." I get up and hold out my hand to help him up, "Sorry." He laughs a little, "It's okay." As I help him up, we notice that everyone is gone. "I thought you said Scott wanted us to come here," I say. Liam states, "Here's the text." I see he is being honest, but the others aren't here. "They could have left to follow a lead," I say looking at the board and turn around to see Theo and Liam glaring at each other. "Theo, why are you here," I growl. "I got a text from Scott saying to come here," He says softening his face when he looks at me. I chuckle, "Well, they are gone, so you can leave to." Theo fake pouts, "So, you can be alone with the puppy. I don't think," and I roll my eyes. "Fine. I'll leave," I say, but Scott comes in with bags of Chinese food. "Is there something I missed," Scott asks placing the bags on a desk. "Your sister is still upset with me," Theo says. I laugh, "For good reason, asshole." Scott scolds, "Stephanie Camden McCall, language." The pack walks in as I yell, "I am not a child, Scott." He looks defeated, "I know." I ask, "Then why do you continue to treat me like one?" Scott stays silent, so I say, "You know what? Don't answer that," I turn to Liam, "Call me, if you need a ride home." I hand him a paper and walk out of the house. I sit on the porch because I know if I drive right now it wouldn't be pretty.

An hour goes by, and Stiles comes out, "I thought you would be out here." I look at him exhausted, "What does Scott want you to tell me?" "He didn't send me. I actually came out here to check if you were okay. I care too. You know," he says. I smile and nod. "I remember when you thought I was your big brother too, so you would call me Bubba too," he says, and I start to cry, "You're the Bubba that didn't push me away." He hugs me, "I know, but Scott didn't know what to do. He thought he was protecting you." Stiles sits there as I cry like a big brother would do. "I kn-know. I just f-feel h-he will p-push-sh me away again-n. I-I miss h-him," I cry. Stile whispers, "I know." "You really feel that way, Steph," Scott asks crying himself. Stiles lets me go, and I stand up to look at Scott. "I-I do," I sniffle. He cries harder causing me to cry harder, "Bubba." I run and hug him really tight. "I-I so so s-sor-ry, sissy," he says hugging me back tighter, "Stiles w-was a bet-ter br-broth-ther than I am." I cry in his chest, "Y-you are the the best broth-ther I know. You w-wanted to pr-prot-tect me. St-Stiles just didn't p-push me away." Scott sniffles, "I love you, sissy." "I love both my Bubbas. Get over here, Stiles," I sniffle. Scott and I see Stiles is crying too, "Damn it, Miss Bossy-pants." He joins the hug, and we cry for a little while more until Lydia comes out the door saying, "Scott... Nevermind." We all pull away wiping our eyes, and Scott stops her, "No, we're fine." "Mason found something," She says, and we follow her.

Malia asks, "You guys feel better now that you almost made everyone cry with you crying and your heartfelt moment?" "We weren't crying," Stiles says quickly. I punch his arm, "Really? They have super hearing, and you try to deny it." He laughs a little. I give him a look, and he caves, "Fine. We were crying, but it was very manly." I roll my eyes, and he gives me a look. "It is okay, Bubba," Malia says. I laugh at Stiles changes the subject, "Mason, what did you find?"

"Besides your brotherly-side? I made a realization. Maybe the holes have something to do with the process of making the chimeras," he says. Scott nods, "That makes sense." "Like an incubation period," I ask. "Precisely," he answers. They continue their talk as I walk to the dining room where I smell the food. I find the one with my name and start to pick at it. I feel overwhelmed with all this. I don't know how they do this without going insane. I think back to second grade as I continue to pick at my Chinese food.

"Remember it wasn't your fault," Scott said as I looked at a picture of my dad. "I'll try,Bubba," I said. I get on the bus with him and Theo, and the driver looked at me with pity. I dropped all of my stuff and ran. It was all my fault, and everyone knew it. I didn't stop running until I couldn't anymore. I found myself in the woods, and I sat on the big rock there. Theo sat next to me, "Annie, you are really fast." I nodded, "Yea. Where's Scott?" "I told him to stay on the bus," he said. "Oh," I whispered. We sat there in silence until he spoke, "Why did you run?" I just sat there, and he let me. "Annie, you didn't do anything wrong," he kept talking as I sat there silent. I eventually said, "I can't control haw angry I am, Theodore. I'm scared." Theo made me look at him, "It's okay to be angry, Annie." I stared into his eyes, "All the time?" He nodded, "Yep. I have been angry since my sister died." I started to cry, "Me too." He hugged me, but I made him let go as I got up. I grabbed a big stick and started hitting a tree, "She. Was. My. Best. Friend." I kept hitting the tree until I was too tired to. The same relief that would wash over me after an outburst of my anger came to comfort me again.

"Whatcha thinking about, Stephanie," Kira asks. I shake my head, "Just about when I was younger." She looks at me, "Like what?" "When Theo and I were friends, and I first found my hiding spot in the woods that you saw yesterday," I say softly. "You and Theo? That is hard to believe, especially with how you treat him," she states. I laugh, "Yea. But when we were younger, we were bestfriends. I literally told him everything. Well, I didn't tell him one thing, but that doesn't matter because he hurt me, and I can't forgive him." Kira looks at me in awe, "I think that is the most you have shared with me ever." "Well, I think it is about time to make friends, and you seem like a pretty good one," I tell her with her starting to smile. "I'm happy to be your friend," she says, and I hear footsteps and look at the doorway to see Theo. I just look at him holding my ground.

"What didn't you tell me, Annie," he says hurt, "How did I hurt you? I never meant to hurt you." I falter but come back, "It doesn't matter what I didn't tell you, but if you are so curious to how you hurt me. You remember when you promised that you would always be there for me when I called you? You remember when you said you would help me with my anger? You remember when you said you would always be my bestfriend? You remember when you promised you would never leave? You remember, Theodore?" I get angry when he is silent, "You remember?!" I charge at him, and we fall to the ground. I growl, "Answer me!" He flips us over, so he is pinning me down. I kick my leg up and hook it around his torso causing him to fall back. He keeps his hold on my wrists pulling me up. I get out of his grasp and get up. Theo scrambles to his feet. "You never answered me," I say charging at him again, but strong arms grab hold me. I struggle with the person and flip them over me. I run at Theo, and he runs away but realizes that he is trapped. "Why won't you answer me," I scream. "Because those broken promises are part of why I am angry all the time, and they are part of the reason I'm back. I remember the promises I made," he says throwing me off guard. I feel a needle in my neck, and I see my mom standing there, "Mom?" "See you when you wake up," she says as I start to fall. Darkness washes over me, and I welcome it gladly.