Chapter Thirty-Three: Longest Night of My Life

Stiles already a snarling mess, and I growl, "Stop it." "Don't yell at me like that," Stiles growls back. I raise my voice, "I wasn't yelling, but it gets you to stop freaking out. He roars, and Malia takes him into her arms. I feel Brett's arms around my waist and sigh, "I need to remember that he isn't used to this firsthand." "Yes," Brett says and holds me closer. I ask, "Where's Britney?" "In the kitchen. Satomi is making her something to eat," Brett says spinning me around, "You want to go spend time with her, don't you?" I smile and nod, "Yes." "Let's go," he smiles leading me inside and into the kitchen. Britney jumps into my arms, "Stephy, am I spending the night?" "You are going somewhere safe tonight," I say moving the hair out of her face, "This isn't a safe place for you to be tonight, sweetheart." "When am I supposed to go to the safe place," she asks. Brett answers, "After you eat Stephanie and I are going to take you there." "Are you staying with me," she asks looking at us. I sit her on the stool and explain, "Your brother and I have to fight a bad man that wants to hurt alot of people, and I need you be with Malia and Stiles." "Stiles is brand new. He could hurt us," she says. I hold her hand, "Malia is going to be there to prevent that, sweetheart." "Are you sure she can, Stephy," she looks fearful in my eyes. I nod and say, "I am, and you are my strong little beta." She smiles, and Satomi sets a plate on the table for Britney. Satomi says, "I made enough for everyone. Tell the others."

I stand back as everyone else gets their food, and Brett hands me a plate full of food. I smile at him, "I was waiting." "I know. I just got both of our plates," Brett says and takes a bite. We eat our food, and Britney stands at the door when I finish. I grab her jacket and make sure I have everything. "Britney and her jacket. Check. Stiles and Malia. Check. Brett with his keys. Check," I say, "Did I forget anything?" "Nope," Stiles says, but Malia say, "Chains and restraints." "You're right," I say and run upstairs to grab them. I run downstairs and grab Britney's hand, "Let's go to the safe place." Brett has me drive with Britney in the passenger seat, so Stiles is in between Brett and Malia. "Let it go. Let it go," Britney sings with the Frozen cd, and I start to sing with her. Stiles asks, "Are you serious?" "Don't hate," I say looking at him in the rear view mirror. He laugh, "Okay." "My power flurries through the air into ground. My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around. And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast. I'm never going back. The past is in the past," I sing with Britney at the top of our lungs, and Brett joins us. I pull into a driveway and turn off the car saying, "We have to walk from here." "How far," Malia asks. Brett answers, "Not far." "Hop on," I say squatting, so Britney can get a piggyback ride. She hops on, and Brett jokes with Britney, "I thought you were going to give me a piggyback ride." "You'd break her," I joke with him. He feigns hurt, "Are you calling me fat?" "No, you are a six foot two, muscular, teenaged boy," I state, "She is a four foot four, petite, eleven year old girl." "That is no excuse. You are five foot three and can give me a piggyback ride," he says trying to make an argument. I laugh at him, "I am also an alpha with rage issues in Theo's words." "Point taken," he shrugs. I have Britney get off as I reach the Argent hideout. "Hello, Stephanie," Allison's dad says. I smile, "Hi, Mr. Argent. Thank you for letting me keep her here." "You were like a daughter to me when you were friends with my daughter," he says softly, and shortly we reminisce. I sigh, "Yes." "This must be Britney," he says kneeling in front of Britney. I nod, "Britney, this is Mr. Argent. He will be here with you too and help Malia with Stiles if need be." She look at him, "Hi, Mr. Argent. It is nice to meet you." "The pleasure is all mine. Let's go inside, okay," he smiles holding a hand out for her to take. She asks, "Can I hold Stephy's hand?" "Of course, sweetheart," I say taking her hand in mine and lead her inside.

Britney sits next to Malia when it is time for Brett and I to leave. I look at her right before I tell Mr. Argent, "Make sure she is okay. Please?" "I will," Mr. Argent says seriously. I nod, and Brett takes my hand and leads me away from the building. Brett drives us back to Stiles' house, and people are already prepping for battle. Scott runs up to the car, "Was Stiles reacting to the full moon?" "No," Brett answers, and I get out of the car. "He'll be fine," I say, "I brought in a professional." "Okay," Scott sighs. I sit on the porch letting the moon shine on me as I sink into my head. The thoughts of pain and hurt fill my head fueling my anger, and warmth flares through my body. Peter voice rings through my head as if he is reading his notes to me like a story, and I see him holding Bethany painted on my eyelids. I hear him taunting me, and my anger turns to rage. My eyes flash open with red tinting my vision, and my claws digging into the wood as I roar with all my being, "Peter." Everyone looks at me frightened when they aren't the prey of the rage that is inside me.