Chapter Eighteen: Time Will Tell

I am being dragged as I open my eyes. I look around into cells and struggle. I get out of the arms and try to crawl toward the doors. "Oh no, you don't," a man says as he grabs my arm. I growl and force myself to fight the drugs throwing him off me. I roar making a run for the door, and fresh air meets me as I make it to my destination. I grab the gate, and electricity fills me. I fall to my knees, and Kira's eyes meet mine as my eyes flutter close.

I open my eyes in a cage, and a man is staring back at me. "No one has been able to get that close to escaping," he says in awe. I chuckle, "Meredith did escape. Twice." "That was in our human ward," he states, "This is the supernatural ward. You frighten the other residents." "Nice to know," I say getting to my feet and see the mountain ash surrounding my cage. "Welcome to Eichen House," he says, "I hope you rehabilitate well here." "I don't think I will," I say under my breath.

I hear a buzzer, and a door opens. I jump to my feet to see Scott. I growl at him and go to the back of my large cell, "What do you want?" "You to be happy," he sighs and sits on my bed. I chuckle, "You put me in Eichen House because you want me to be happy? There is nothing happy about this place." "You can't be outside of it either. You need to let your humanity back in," he says raising his voice. I kneel in front of him, "My humanity obviously doesn't want to come back, or I wouldn't still be here." "You just need your anchor," he says trying to encourage me. I chuckle, "That hasn't worked the three times you drug him up here. I've been in here for two months, Scott. I am still over the edge. When will you give up?" "I won't give up. You should know that," he says. I stand up growling, "I do, and it is very irritating." I walk and bang on the door, "He is ready to leave," then go sit on my chair in the back corner of my cell. Scott looks at me hesitating like he has every visit but walks out.

An orderly comes in to check on me as I play chess by myself. "We have a new type of therapy today," she says, "Let's go." I stand up and follow her as she walks through the halls of the secret floor of Eichen House. She puts me in a plexiglass cell and tells me, "We have someone here to try to help you." "Why do you keep torturing yourselves wi-," I start to ask a question, but Theo shows himself. I glare at him and roar, "This is all your fault." I charge at the glass. I punch and kick at it, but it is pointless. I am given shots of wolf's bane daily. I roar and stop my attempts to get to him. He walks away crying, and I laugh at him, "Aww, did I hurt your feelings?" The orderly states, "We have one more person here." "Give it your best shot," I chuckle, and my awkward, normal brother, Stiles, comes up to the glass. "Hey, Steph," he says. I look at him, "I see you're doing well." He says, "Yea, I get out of here today." I nod, and he says, "I know you can do it." "Do what? Not be a 'monster'?! I am one, Stiles. I am the monster I always feared that I'd become, and here I am," I say and roar, but tears deceive me. I punch the glass as hard as I can, and it cracks as I whisper, "I am hopeless." "I don't see that, Steph. I see it like these cracks," he says as he walks away. I am put back into my cell after they sedate me some more. I let sleep take me as the orderlies lay me on my bed.

I see myself in the mirror, and she is laughing at me. "You're trying so so hard to push them away because you still care," she says and steps out of the mirror. I growl at her and throw her, but I feel her pain. "Just let me back in. I am already partially there," she says getting up. I shake my head, "You are my pain." "No, I am your feelings, your love and caring. I am your humanity, sweetheart," she says. I grab her and put her back in the mirror. "It is better this way, sweetheart," I growl and force myself to wake up.

I sit up and look around my cell. "I've been having this freaking dream for a month," I growl to myself. "What dream," a therapist says sitting down next to me. I growl, "None of your business." "You're going to fight this every step of the way, aren't you," he asks exhausted. I chuckle, "I'm glad you have seen what is going on." He sighs, "Would you like to play chess like we normally do?" "Might as well," I say going over to set up the board. "Are you going to be the black pieces," he asks, and I shake my head. I sit in my chair behind the white pieces, and he sits opposite, "You have been the black pieces every time we have played." "I don't care," I say and move my first piece. We play this game where he tries to make me open up, and I just focus on the chess pieces. "How is your brother, Scott," he asks. I state, "The same." "Okay," he says, "How was seeing both of your brothers today?" "Fantastic," I say cornering his king, "Check." He chuckles, "You are being more agressive with your moves," then takes my bishop. I move my knight into place, and he asks, "Are you trying to fight yourself?" I move my queen, and everything is in place. "Checkmate," I say and get up, "It was nice playing this game with you again." "I see. I'll be going," he says, "They plan on bringing your guitar tomorrow." I nod, and he walks out. I look into the mirror and start to cry, and she is forcing her way back. "I can't fight it, can I?"

It is a new day, but it seems the same. My brother brings me my old favorite breakfast, mom's pancakes with strawberries, and he leaves for school or whatever he does. I get three shots then play some chess by myself, and after dinner, Scott comes back. I make him make him leave, and the cycle continues, but today is different because Scott doesn't leave. "I refuse," he says. I bang on the door, "He is leaving." "No, he isn't," my therapist says walking into my cell, "He is convinced this will help." "No, it won't," I roll my eyes and sit at the chessboard. I set up the board for my daily game against my therapist, but Scott sits opposite of me instead. "What are you doing, Scott," I say flatly. He smiles, "Playing chess with my little sister." I sigh and look at my therapist, "Was this your idea?" "Not at all," he says. He looks between Scott and I with curiosity plastered on his face. I turn back to the board, "Fine." I move my first piece hear him whisper to himself, "Incredible." I throw the table and get up in his face, "What?!" Scott asks, "Why did you throw the game?" "Her humanity is fighting, but she wants to be this way," the therapist states.

I growl, "How could possibly gather that from chess?" "Why would you want to stay this way," Scott asks. I roar out in frustration, "Because I can't bare it all at once alone. I know, if I let it back in, I'll feel everything I've lost." "You won't be alone," Scott says. The therapist asks, "Is your dream about your humanity?" I look down and nod, and Scott says, "I'm right here." "That is what he said," I say starting to cry. Scott hugs me, "Isaac hadn't visited like he said he would, did he?" "No," I fall to my knees as I fight my humanity forcing itself upon me. "I can't," I cry out, "It hurts, Bubba." "You can do it. I believe in you," he says holding my hand. He cries out, "This is physically painful for you?" "Mind over matter," the therapist says. I sigh as the pain fades. I hug my brother, and he says, "You don't understand how nice it is to see you care again." "You don't know how much I appreciate that you were there for me no matter how mean or evil I was," I say into his shoulder. We pull away, and he says, "I told you I'd never give up." "Here is her discharge papers," the therapist says, and I grab them. "These were signed yesterday," I say. He simply says, "Your brothers had faith."