Chapter Twenty-One: Shiny and New

I am nervously tapping my steering wheel as I look for a parking spot. I whip into the first one I see and turn off my car. I look down at my outfit and think, "I just want to make a good impression. Just breathe." I'm wearing a long sleeve, navy blue dress that ends at the top of my knees, and a pair of white wedges. "Malia said this was a good choice especially with my curly hair," I think to myself as I get out my car. Eyes are on me as soon as I walk into the building, but I avoid eye contact, so I don't freak out more than I already am on the inside. The main office is decent sized as I walk in, and the secretary at the front desk greets me with a warm smile, "You must be our new student. My name is Mrs. Day." The name fits her because she is super cheery, "My name is Stephanie. It is lovely to meet you." "Follow me, so we can get you your uniform," she smiles, and I follow her to a back supply room filled with uniforms. "What sizes do you wear," she asks looking through the different piles. I answer, "I'm a small to a medium in shirts, and I wear a five/six in bottoms." "Here you go," she says handing me five shirts and skirts then she walks to the front of the office. "You can stay in the clothes you have on today, but tomorrow you have to wear the uniform," she explains, "Here is your schedule with your locker number and combination." "Thank you," I grab the piece paper then ask myself mentally, "What did Derek get me into?" She talks my ears off for another five minutes talking about regulations and honor code then releases me to find my way.

I finally find my locker, when the bell rings for first period to start, and put my stuff in it. It takes me five minutes wandering aimlessly for a suspicious teacher to ask me if I needed help. He literally escorts me to my class and tells my teacher, "I believe she is yours." I feel my face get warm as I think, "Oh, you know this is how I want my first day to be like." "Take your seat," the man says and points at an empty desk. I nod and oblige. He continues with his new student speech that he started before I came in. "You will make sure she is comfortable here... So Stephanie, is there anything that you want to say to the class," he says looking at me. I start to speak, but he stops me, "Come to the front, please?" I stand up and turn toward the class, "My name is Stephanie, and I hope to graduate here." "That is a good hope," the teacher says and gestures me to sit back down. I think, "I couldn't have thought of something better, 'I hope to graduate here,' but atleast I didn't say, 'and I'm a werewolf.'" The bell saves me from more torture of Chemistry. As I get up, a boy stops me, "Maybe I can help you to your next class." "Sure," I say letting him see my schedule.

I actually make it to my class on time with Sam's help. I take a seat, and Mr. Nelson takes attendance, "Stephanie McCall?" "Here," I say as he looks straight at me. He chuckles, "You are obviously new." "What gave it away? Was it that I'm not wearing a uniform," I say. He shakes his head, "Your older brother is the captain of Beacon Hill's lacrosse team." "Everyone knows Scott," I whisper then say, "You must be the coach here." "Yes, I am," he says proudly then finishes the attendance. Close to the end, I heard Brett's name. Mr. Nelson asks, "Would you like to say on your behalf?" "Besides I'm not my brother," I smile, "I could play sports, but I prefer music." "It says here that is how you got your scholarship," he looks at me as if measuring me up, "but do you think you could play lacrosse?" "I know I can. Why do you ask," I say propping my head up with my hand. He answers, "Beacon Hill just added a girl." "Are you asking me to play lacrosse for you because I'm a girl and my brother is their captain," I ask slightly offended. Mr Nelson says, "All is fair in love and war." "No, there is nothing fair in love or war, but I guess I'll play your silly game," I say, "I want you to know that you should treat me like every other player, and not just a girl." "Fantastic," Coach Nelson says, "I'll try to treat you like the guys." "Just ask Liam and Brett, I'm stronger than I look if you don't," I smile, and Brett agrees. Coach looks at me suspiciously, "Practice starts Wednesday." "Great," I say as the bell rings. Coach says, "Talbot, you help her around like one of the team." "Yes, coach," Brett says and shows me to the rest of my classes.

My last class is Solo Studies which is basically practice for choir or instruments. I have to just sit there all hour because I didn't think I'd need any of my instruments today, and I have to pick a new song for choir. I wonder, "Is it going to be this weird everyday?" I pull my phone out, and notifications fill my screen. I look through them, and Scott and Liam texted me, "Brett told me that you joined the lacrosse team." I groan internally, "I didn't think they would care that much." I text back, "Yea, it will be a good way to channel some agression." They don't text back, so I look through the music on my phone and stop on Gasoline by Halsey. I sing with it, and a teacher scares me half to death. "Change some of the lyric, and it would be a good choice. The song fits your voice quite well," he says. I look at him, "Thank you. I haven't seen you before." "I'm the advanced choir teacher," he says, "Mr. Breven." "I'm Stephanie McCall," I introduce myself. He replies, "I know. I reviewed your vocal videos for your scholarship." "Thank you for obviously putting in a good word," I say. I wouldn't be here if he didn't put the okay on my file, and he says, "I look forward to your new song." I nod, and he leaves. the last bell rings, and Brett walks in, "You ready to go." "You have no idea," I say, and we walk to my locker.

I grab my uniforms and hear other people surround my locker. I turn to see five really tall guys, and Brett says, "You told coach you want to be treated like one of the guys." "Initiation," I say raising my eyebrow, and he nods. I put my stuff back in my locker, "Come on." The blonde one throws me over his shoulder, and I just prop my head up. "Are you okay, miss," a teacher asks. I nod, "I joined the lacrosse team." "Oh, okay," he says and carries on whatever he was doing. Brett suggests, "We should probably let her put pants on." "I am wearing spandex," I say, "but if it involves me upside-down, I'll tighten my belt at my waist." "So, how was your first day," asks the brunette walking behind the blonde. I smile and remark sarcastically, "Full of rainbows and glitter," then sigh, "It was like most of my first days." "What do you mean," he asks. I say, "My older brother's reputation follows me everywhere, but that's normal." The blonde finally puts me down.

"Normally, you would have to strip to your underwear and do the stuff but being you, you don't have to," the guy with black hair and green eyes says. I huff in frustration, "Are you saying that because I am a girl." "Well, yea," Brett says. I turn toward him giving him a look, "Lucky, I'm wearing a sports bra." I pull my dress over my head to where I am in just the sports bra and spandex shorts. The boy with black hair and brown eyes asks, "You really don't like the whole gender discrimination, do you?" "No. What am I supposed to do," I say crossing my arms. Blue eyed blondie says crossing his arms, "forty push ups, a thirty second handstand, and ten minutes in an ice bath." I chuckle, "That's it. That stuff in that order. Too easy." I drop and do forty push up effortlessly. I use my old gymnastics skills and carefully get into a handstand. "Time starts now," Brett says. I walk around on my hands until he tells me time is up. I get back to my feet and into the tub of ice water. The red head says, "Wait until the timer goes off." "I will, and I'm not stupid. You guys hid my dress, and I can tell you that I don't care about walking out in what I have on," I say closing my eyes enjoying the chill on my muscles. Brett asks, "Was it that obvious?" "Yes," I state, "Plus, I heard one of you leave when I was doing push ups." "You looked so focused," the brunette says. I smile, "I have A.D.D., so I can pay attention without paying attention." The timer goes off, and I grab a towel. "Welcome to the team, McCall," Brett says. I say, "Thanks, but Brett, I'd suggest you guys give me back my dress." "I thought you said you didn't care," the blonde says. I smirk, "I'm pretty sure coach would." "I'll just give you my clean sweats and my jacket," Brett says. I put the clothes on and walk out to go back to my locker, so I can leave. I hear Brett whisper as he walks past, "I'll be over to bring your dress and to get my clothes back." "Good," I whisper.