Chapter Thirty: Shots Fired

"We have to follow the scent of a gross and bloody heart," Simon says disgusted by even mentioning it. I sigh, "Yes, it is the only way we can find the body right now." Donovan says, "I'm not touching it." "Are you kidding me? You were going to eat Stiles' legs," I raise my voice but take a deep breath, "I have to deal with the humans outside before I can deal with this. Give me a moment." I walk out to the porch to see Blake, Caleb, and Ethan are nearly finished. "Blake, you guys can be done," I say, "You cleaned up most of it." "Tell my mom that," he says. I walk up to the car, and Mrs. Mauser rolls down the window, "Hello, Stephanie." "Hey, the guys have cleaned up most of the mess, so they can be done. My mom told me to have them go ahead and leave," I smile and lie to avoid any questions. She nods, "Okay, sweetheart. Tell the boys." "Yes, ma'am," I say backing away from the car and turn, "You guys are good to go." They celebrate a little then run to the car. I sigh and go back inside.

"Mom, didn't say that," Scott says raising his eyebrow. I give him a look, "Do you really think that matters right now." "No," he says turning back to the heart sniffing it. "Did you catch a scent," I ask, and he shrugs. He states, "I got a small one because there is a strong one of fear." "If I were getting my heart ripped out, I would be terrified too," I sass and take the heart from him. I put it up to my nose slightly cringing at the fear as I inhale, but the identity jumps at me, "I've got it." "You got it? The only way you would get it with all that fear is if it was familiar," Satomi says. I look at her, "I guess I must know who it is." I wash my hands quickly and run outside to my car. I follow the scent to outside of the water treatment facility, but it is drowned out by chemicals. I growl in frustration as I stand at the entrance, "What is up with this freaking place?" "Hello, Stephanie," his voice echoes out of the entrance, but he is no where to be seen, "Did you like my present?" "I just loved the heart," I say flatly. He chuckles, "I just knew you would." "Why don't you stop hiding, Peter," I ask pretending to pout, "I would love it if you came out played." "I bet you would, but I am quite comfortable in here," he says, "I'm sorry to upset you, darling." I roar in the tunnel, and the sound is deafening as it rumbles the opening and pipes. I hear him growl and taunts me, "Temper tantrums will get you no where. If you want to play so badly, come and get me." "I can't because you are a coward and have mountain ash surrounding the entrance. That also means you have someone who isn't supernatural in there or working with you," I say.

"Stephanie," Peter chuckles, "You're a very smart girl. I bet you're just jumping at the opportunity to know who I have in here." "Stephanie," Bethany whimpers. I growl, "She had nothing to with this you bitch." "Innocent lives always get the best response," he laughs maniacally as he shows himself holding Bethany by her hair. I yell, "She didn't even know any of this existed." "She does now," he smiles like a child waking up to Christmas. She struggles bawling, "Stephanie, help me. Please?" "Yea, Stephanie, help her. You're brother broke through a mountain ash barrier before. It nearly killed him, but he did it," Peter laughs enjoying my predicament. I punch the cement doorway and part of it crumbles, and Peter stops laughing, "Do you have alot of built up anger?" "I have intermittent explosive disorder," I spit out like venom. He nods, "Like the strong beta? Liam?" "Why are you so curious," I cross my arms. He scoff as if it were obvious, "Werewolves get their strength from the full moon and anger." "I'm very strong," I say, "and the full moon is tomorrow." "I know when the full moon is," he growls, "I was born a werewolf unlike you. I will speak with you tomorrow." I am about to say something, but Peter is already running with Bethany.

Scott comes up beside me, "Why are you standing here?" "Peter is in there, and mountain ash is blocking the entrance," I say glaring inside, "He also has Bethany." "What is up with bad guys and this place," Stiles asks. I look at him and ask, "What do you mean?" "I came here while I was void, the Dread Doctors hideout was here, you weren't necessarily a bad guy but came here when you had both microchips in your head, and now Peter," Stiles says. I think and make a realization, "Wait. He might have ran." I put my hand out, and it goes right through. I growl and march inside but stop. I march out, amd Stiles asks, "The guy is cocky and arrogant. Why would he run?" "He stopped antagonizing me after I punched that," I say pointing to where I punched, "then he asked if I had alot of pent up anger, and I told him I have IED. He asked me if it was the thing Liam, 'The strong beta', has." "Peter has seen what he sees as a real obstacle," Derek says scaring to start swinging, but I stop when I punch his shoulder. I say, "My bad." "Atleast we know you fight when it comes to fight or flight," he says rubbing his shoulder. I shrug, "I really haven't been feeling flighty."

We drive back home to find the door busted in mom and dad unconscious on the porch. I rush to the porch and cry out, "No." "Adorable Alpha. Here is something to fuel your rage. Peter," Scott reads the note. Stiles says, "They need to be rushed to the hospital." Derek calls an ambulance, "Yes, they're in critical condition... Thank you." I roar as I cry. I feel the anger building ready to burst. I run away from them as fast as I can. I run to the woods and make it there without drawing attention. I claw at clothes fighting my anger and think out loud, "This what he wants." I shake my head remembering Satomi's question, "Are you willing to lose yourself in rage to win a war?" I roar punching the nearby tree and curl into a ball clawing at my now shredded sweater. I close my eyes as I feel weird, "What is happening?" "Evolution," Derek states causing my eyes to fly open. I look at him and shake my head, "I've done enough changing." "This isn't something you can stop," he says pointing at my hands, "See?"

My hands are growing white fur and forming into paws, and I look at him and ask fearful, "Why is my fur white? My hair isn't white." "How am I supposed to know," Derek says. I kick off my shoes and turn to see Derek stripping. I ask through a changing mouth, "What are you doing?" "Taking my clothes off to turn with you," he answers. I close my eyes again as my already ripped clothing tears even more. When I open my eyes, a blue-eyed, black wolf is in front of me, and I look down myself. I bark like a dog trying say that I'm a wolf, and Derek bumps me telling me to get up. I get to my feet and spin around. I think to myself, "This is weird and cool. How do I change back?" "You picture yourself turning back," Derek answers my unasked question. I look at him tilting my head, and he chuckles, "It would be a common question." I think of myself slowly morphing back into myself. I watch as the same process is reversed. My body shivers from the lack of fur, and I cover myself, "I don't have clothes to put back on." "I'll call Satomi to have Brett bring you something because your brothers are at the hospital," Derek says pulling out his phone.

Brett walks up with a handful of clothes, "You said Steph needed clothes." "I kinda ripped off my other clothes when I evolved," I sigh, "This is the second time I've been naked in the woods." "Second time? Why were you naked the first time," Brett asks. I ask, "May I have the clothes first? I am cold and have been for a while." He hands me the clothes and stares at me waiting for me to answer his question. I give him a look, "Both of you, turn around." They huff and turn. I stand brushing off the dirt and pull on the boxers then notice Brett peeking. "Brett, turn," I scold as I cover my chest, and he sighs and turns his head back to where he can't see. I pull the shirt and sweats then sass, "I am now dressed." "I'm not ashamed of my actions," Brett says giving me a look. I laugh as I put my shoes on, "I know you're not." "You should be confident with all that," he says wrapping his arm around me as I start to walk toward civilization. I chuckle, "You should know that I am."