Chapter Eight: Discoveries

I wake up to my phone ringing, "Hello?" "Honey, I found something," mom says quickly. I get up and put on my hoodie with shoes, "I'll be there in like an hour. I have to run there." "Okay. Be careful, honey," she says, and I hang up, but Derek barges into my room. "May I help you," I say looking at him. He shakes his head, "I'll drive you to the hospital, so you don't have to run with chimeras on the loose." I start to object but realize he has a point, "Thank you again, Derek." He nods and walks out of my room, so I follow him to his car.

He turns the radio station seeing that I was tense with worry. "What do you think they did to me," I ask him, "Do you think it can be reversed?" He chuckles, "You ask as many questions as Stiles and worry as much as your brother." "That didn't answer my questions," I say, "and that makes sense because they are my brothers. Literally and metaphorically." "How do you know not just literally," he asks causing me to look at him crazy. I say, "I met my father, and it wasn't the sheriff. He was killed two days ago too." "Are you sure? You look like Stiles and Scott. I mean mix them together and make it female, you would get you," he says. I think about this a little bit, "Let's say this is true. Why would my mom keep it from me?" "She doesn't know it herself," he states, and I shrug, "That makes since. My "dad" was tan like mom and Scott, but I am lighter than both of them but not as pale as Stiles. His eyes were hazel like mine, but so are sheriff Stillinski's." Derek nods, "You have your mom's curly hair, but its color is lighter like the sheriff's." "My "dad's" was dark brown," I say and take a deep breath, "it adds up, but why did you say something about it?" "Because how Stillinski looks at you, and Stiles noticed how protective his dad was toward you," he answers and continues, "He wanted to bring it up to you but didn't want to upset you." "So, he asked you to," I say, and he shakes his head. "No, I thought maybe you would want to know if he really was your brother, and you still had a dad," he says with a hint of sadness. I nod, "That would be nice." He parks the car, "We're here. Do you want me to come in with?" I nod, and we walk toward the emergency room entrance.

"Stephanie, you are here fast," she says but sees Derek, "He drove. That makes sense." "Yea. What did you find," I ask, but she turns toward a room, so Derek and I follow. She sighs, "I found one thing that may contribute to the loss of control. A small microchip on your hypothalamus and another one on your cerebral cortex that is connected to the other." "Is there a way to remove them," I ask quickly, and she nods as she looks down. "With surgery, but I don't know what it would do to you, honey," she says. I admit with tears in my eyes, "I am willing to do anything." "I don't know if I am, Stephanie," she says and looks me in the eyes, "We can try to disable them. Anything else before brain surgery." "Okay," I say, "But first I need to ask you something." "Yes, honey," she says. I look her in the eyes, "I need to know this. Is there any possible way that Sheriff Stillinski is really my dad, and not the man that you said was my dad?" She is taken by surprise by the question and stands there for a second, so I say, "Mom, I need to know." "There is a possibility, but I was more sure Alec was your father," she says honestly. I ask, "Are you more sure now?" "No, I was questioning it the older you got," she answers. I nod, and she asks, "I could run a DNA test and tell him he might be your father if that is what you want. Is that what you want?" "I would, but I was told he might already have his speculations," I answer. Derek speaks up, "Stiles has noticed how protective he was with Stephanie, and Scott noticed when he found out she was a werewolf that was tampered with." "Why didn't he come to me," she says, and Derek shakes his head. I suggest, "He could have thought it may have been rude to ask, 'Hey, are you sure Steph's dead dad was really her dad?' I mean I probably would have been upset." "Valid point," she says, "I'll call him and be back to get some samples to do the test." I nod and wait with Derek.

"What if he is my dad," thoughts escape my mouth, "What if I am his daughter? How am I going to tell Stiles that I am his real sister? I think he would take it well. I don't know." Derek stops me, "Stephanie, you constantly talking to yourself is going to drive me insane." "Sorry," I say, but the thoughts continue to race and cloud my brain. My mom come back with two syringe and a several swabs, "Honey, sit in the chair." "You could say please," I say. She sighs, "Please sit in the chair?" I nod and comply. She swabs my mouth three times and takes some blood, and I sit still, so my mom can stay calm. "Hi," I say as Stillinski comes into the room, and he looks at me. He smiles, "Hi, sweetie." "Please sit in the other chair," My mom says as she puts my samples on the tray. I ask him, "Why did you never tell me that you thought you were my father?" "You were young when you lost him, the dad you knew, the first time," he says, "I didn't want to add on to that, sweetie." Derek asks, "Did you know that your son thinks you are her dad too?" "No, but I am not surprised with how observant he is," he says. I hear his pulse raise slightly, "You're lying." "Okay, when I was drinking, I was rambling to him that you had to be my daughter. You looked nothing like Alec," he admits. I make a realization, "You had an affair." He nods and turns his head away from me, "I was a drunken mess, and your mother had too many shots after finding out that her mom was sick. I can't even say how bad our states were because I don't remember most of that day. All I could remember was that I slept with your mom." I cringe, "One. Gross. Two. You had an affair. Three. You told Stiles that I had to be your daughter without really thinking he would figure out how that out the details." "I know. That is why I don't drink like that anymore," he defends. I turn his face toward me, "That isn't the point, and you know that. He blames himself for how you used to drink, and I know that when you were drunk you would see the reasoning behind your late wife's sickened babbling and tell him it was his fault. I am glad you don't drink like that anymore, but you screwed with Stiles' head. I know what it is like to constantly blame yourself. It tears you apart and turns you into a monster. If you are my father, I'll know who I get it from. I will finally understand." My mother speaks up, "Stephanie, you are starting to snap." "I know, so I am leaving now," I say and walk out of the building with Derek on my tail. "You know you weren't snapping," Derek says. I nod, "My mother knew that if I continued he would causing me to. I could feel his guilt and anger rising like a rocket." "So, it wouldn't come as a shocking discovery if he was your dad because anger runs in the family," Derek states. I chuckle, "Yep."