Chapter Twenty-Seven: Play Pretend

I drive to school, and Blake comes up to my car. "Hey, Steph," he says helping me out of my car. I smile and bat my eyelashes, "Hey." I think to myself, "This is a dumb plan." "You didn't text me last night," he says, and I grab my bags from my backseat. I say, "I fell asleep. I'm sorry." "It's okay, beautiful," he says taking my duffel bag from me. I smile at him, and we walk to the locker rooms when I really just want to grab my stuff and run, but Brett feels bad if he just dumped a girl when they just started going out. "Thank you for carrying my bag," I say sweetly and take it into my locker room. I don't know if I can do this for long, but I said I would try, so Brett can break up with her after a month. I want to punch myself in the face because Blake is so clingy. It has been a week, and I don't want to be mean. He is just so all up in my face. I sigh as he is waiting for me outside of the locker room. "Are you ready for class," he smiles, and I nod with a fake smile.

Blake asks, "What are you doing after practice?" "I have to go to my brother's house," I say looking up from my experiment. He nods, "Okay." "Yea," I say going back to the chemicals in front of me. Blake turns away too fast and bumps the beaker next to me, and I yell, "Blake!" It splashes on us, and I pull him into the emergency shower, "That was toxic." "I'm sorry," he says as the water cascades on us, "I wasn't careful." I sigh, and our teacher brings us towels and tells us, "Go get your practice clothes." It is awkward walking to the bathroom completely wet, and I am greatful I get to wear a tee shirt and sweats the rest of the day. I get back to class, and Blake is cleaning up the glass. "Here is a note for you two to explain your dress," Mr. Felk says as the bell rings. I smile and say, "Thank you. I hope this doesn't happen again." I run to Coach's class and sit in my desk as I put my hair in a bun. "McCall, where is your uniform," Coach Nelson yells. I explain what happened and hand him Mr. Felk's note. He nods, "Okay." I go through the same situation the rest of the day until solo studies. I plug my phone into the speakers. I take a deep breath and listen.

"And all the people say, 'You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You are part of a machine. You are not a human being. With your face all made up living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on Gasoline. Oh oh oh oh oh oh I think there's a fault in my code. Oh oh oh oh oh oh these voices won't leave me alone. My heart is gold, and my hand are cold,'" I sing, and I pause it. I think out loud, "It needs something." I shake my head, "No, I need to stop over thinking this." "Yea, you do," Brett says scaring the crap out me. I mumble, "You need to stop popping up out of no where." He chuckles, "It's not my fault you get so into your music that you don't notice when someone comes in." I roll my eyes, and he laughs a little harder. "Go play with your girlfriend," I sass and sit at the piano. I start to play the intro as he sighs, "I get it. You are irritated with all this." "Are you insane like me? Been in pain like me?
Bought a hundred dollar bottle of champagne like me?
Just to pour that whole thing down the drain like me?
Would you use your water bill to dry the stain like me? Are you high enou-," I sing, but Brett turns me away from the piano. "Stop ignoring me," he growls in frustration. I pout, "I am trying to get the song right." "That isn't what you are doing, and we both know it. I know you hate having to pretend that we are just friends. I hate it too. Trust me because I seriously want to punch Blake when he flirts with you," he says making me smile. I giggle, "I want to punch myself in the face when he does. He is so clingy." "I know. I told you that you have to tell him he needs to back off," he smiles. I nod, "I will tomorrow morning since we have early Saturday practice." "Thank you," he says heading for the door. I laugh, "You thank me? I thank myself." "Okay, I'll see you at practice," he says. I sigh, "I'll be there."

I run through the plays as Coach calls them, and sweat forms on my forehead. I look at Madison on the bleachers and run the ball making the goal. I am glad when Coach calls the practice to an end. Madison runs and hugs Brett, and I growl softly. I take a deep breath and take off my helmet. My pads are on the ground as I stretch. "McCall, show off some of your gymnastics stuff," Trevor calls out. I look at him, "Like what?" "The tumbling thing. Flips and stuff," he shrugs. I run into a cartwheel leading into some back handsprings and a backflip. I land it, and the guys clap. Trevor says, "Impressive." "Why didn't you do cheerleading," Madison asks all bubbly. I fake a smile, "I joined lacrosse." I grab my stuff and head to the locker room. I shower then head to my dad's house because Stiles' birthday is today.

I knock on the door because I hear Malia giving him his present. "Gross," I think to myself. I hear Stiles say, "Nobody's home." "You are so dumb," I yell back. I hear him stumbling around, and Malia answers the door, "Hey, Stephanie." "Hi," I say laughing. I walk in, and Stiles nearly falls down the stairs. I catch him, and he smiles, "Hey, sis." "You guys reek of hormones," I state, "and I could hear you." "It's my birthday. Don't judge me," he defends. I set him upright, "That is why I am here. Happy birthday, Stiles. I will say my present is not at all as good as what Malia was about to give, but I'm taking you out to dinner." "We already ate," he frowns. I nod, "Okay. I'll take you out some other time." "I'm sorry, Steph," he says, but I shake my head. I hug him, "It's alright. You guys have fun. I love you, Bubba." I walk out and go home. I plop on my couch, and my phone goes off. I answer it, "Hello?" "I thought you said you were going to your brother's house," Blake says. I scrunch my face in confusion and look out of my window, "I did. Why are you parked outside of my house?" "I wanted to know if you were here," he says. I say, "I am." "Can I come in," he asks. I say, "That isn't a good idea." "Why," he asks whining. I answer, "Because I want to be alone." "Why are you such a bitch," he yells. I scoff, "Excuse me?" "You heard me," he says. I hang up the phone and march up to his car. I pull him out and yell, "I'll show you a bitch!" "Stephanie," Scott says as he slowly approaches with Liam. I look at him still holding Blake, "He is obsessive and called me while I was inside. He was upset that I went to Stiles' to celebrate his birthday by taking Stiles to dinner, but he already ate, so I came home. He showed up seeing if I lied then asked he could come inside. I said no because I wanted to be alone then he called me a bitch. He won't leave me alone." I look at a very scared Blake. "Steph, look at me," Liam says, "This is the IED starting to play on your emotions." "What are you talking about," Blake whimpers. Liam says, "You know how I trashed Coach's car because of my anger thing. She also has it." "I didn't know," he starts to cry, "I'll leave you alone, Stephanie."

I let him down and turn away from him as I feel my fangs in my mouth. I run back into the house and roar, and Liam throws me over his shoulder taking me into the bathroom. He puts me in the shower and runs cold water. I roar, and he yells for Scott. Scott walks in and sees me trying to fight with Liam. He helps hold me down, but Liam stops to call someone. "BLake made her freak," he says then hangs up to help Scott. I roar and struggle, "Let me go." "No," they push me back down. I roar but calm as I see Brett. Brett climbs into the tub with me and turns off the water. He holds me to his chest as I shake from coming down from my anger and the cold water, "Steph, I think I might make it only two weeks, so we don't have to do this again if at all possible." "I didn't think it would be this bad when I agreed to this," I say. He kisses the top of my head, "I know. I kinda want to punch him more." "No worries because I already did," Scott says, "He isn't going to mess with her anymore." "I just have to pretend for another week and hope that I don't have to deal with another guy making me snap," I sigh cuddling into Brett for warmth. He whispers in my hair, "Only one more week of make believe." "Technically, we have to always pretend," Liam says shrugging, "We are werewolves trying to be normal teenagers."