Chapter Twenty-Three: Synchronization

I am about to pull out of my driveway when Brett pulls up. I turn off my car and get out, "What are you doing," I ask and the blonde from yesterday rolls down the passenger side window. He smiles at me, "We carpool on Tuesdays." "Is that a team thing," I ask grabbing my backpack and get into Brett's backseat. "Every Tuesday," Brett says as I listen to their pulses. I smile when I see they are being honest, "Okay. Next Tuesday, I'll pick you guys up." "It's Josh's turn next week," Brett says pointing at the brunette from yesterday. I nod and mumble, "Okay." "You can do it if you want," blondie says as Brett pulls out of my driveway. I shake my head, "You guys already have it planned out, so it's fine." "Okay," Brett says, "Um, this is Trevor next to me, Blake is the one next to you, and Josh is behind me." "I'm Stephanie," I say shaking their hands. They say, "We know." "I just thought I'd introduce myself," I say looking out of the window. Brett says, "Sorry, coach told them your name yesterday."

"It's not your fault," I sigh and look at him in the rear view mirror. He smiles, "You are the most known girl in school now." "Yay," I say feigning excitement. I don't know how to handle this, and he notices, "Steph, are you okay?" "Yea," I say thinking back to the whispers when I was noticed in Beacon Hill right after I became a werewolf. He looks at me and pulls over, "No, you're not. What are you thinking about?" "I'm fine," I say as they all stare at me. I smile for good measure, and Blake says, "See? She's good." "I can handle this," I say, and Brett narrows his eyes because he knows I'm lying but can't call me out on it then turns back around. I look out the window again as he drives us to school. I get out first and rush to my locker, and Blake leans on the locker next to mine. "What's up with you and Brett," he says as I grab a notebook and pencil. I look at him and answer honestly, "We aren't dating because that is what you really want to know." I shut my locker and smile walking away to my class.

I sit down in my chair and am lifted up. "Our new lacrosse player, Stephanie McCall," Josh shouts and carries me around the classroom with the help of Trevor. "Please, put me down," I ask nicely, but they aren't listening. I slip out of the desk and grab the desk from them. With the desk back in its place, I sit saying, "Class is about to start." They look at me in astonishment until the bell rings for class to start.

I take notes as Mr. Patrick writes on the board, but a note is thrown on my desk. Party at my house tonight. -Josh, I read it then flip over my notebook to hide it as I finish the notes. I ask myself if I really want to go to a party on a Tuesday then I realize it might be a team thing before practice starts tomorrow. The bell rings, and I close my notebook and pick up my stuff. "See you there," I say to Josh then walk to my next class. I make it to Coach Nelson's class and am greeted with a banner. "Welcome to the team, McCall," Coach says patting me on the back. I look at Brett, and he answers my unspoken question, "It was not my idea." "Whose was it," I ask putting a hand my hip. Coach speaks up, "The rest of the team made it last night. They wanted to make you feel welcome." "I definitely feel welcome," I smile awkwardly then take my seat. Coach tells the class that we have a free day. He sits at his desk then starts grading papers that I was excused from, and I start doodling in my notebook. It starts out as a simple flower then I fill the entire page with them. "Do you like flowers," Brett says. I look up at him and shrug, "They're okay. I am not really big on flowers." "What is your favorite flower," he asks as he takes my notebook to look at the picture. I put it back on the desk, "Violets," and start to draw a little bit more. He questions, "Why violets?" "Why not violets," I look up at him and prop my head up, "There is nothing wrong with violets." "True, but normally people say roses or daisies," he defends. I giggle, "I think we have established I am not normal or relatively close to it." "So, violets," he says, "What is your favorite color?" "Blue," I say, "You ask a lot of questions." "You do too," he points out. I agree, "I have a lot of things going on in my head."

The rest of my day was better when I get to solo studies. I google the official lyrics to Gasoline and start to think of a way to switch some of the words, but the last bell cuts me off before I can finish. I grab my bag, and Brett is waiting outside of the practice room. "Let's change and party," he says holding out his arm making me giggle. I catch myself and hook my arm onto his, "Let's go." Our teammates are waiting at his car, they cat call at Brett. I blush and unhook my arm as they yell, "Make out already." Blake says, "Ladies up front." I tense as a growl quietly rumbles in my chest, but Josh put his arm around me laughing, "Blake, that means you would be shotgun." I laugh with the others as Blake huffs and plops into the front seat. A party might be good to relax, I think as I am dropped off.

I put on highwaisted, black short and a lacy, burgundy crop top. I ask myself white Vans or Black vans, and Scott knocks on the open door. "Yes," I say as I put on my black vans, and he asks, "Are you going to that party?" "Yea, did Brett tell you about it," I look at him walking toward the bathroom. He mumbles, "Yes, but I thought we were going to play lacrosse like yesterday." "You didn't ask me yesterday, and I already told my teammates I was going," I say as I touch up my make up and put my hair into a bun. He sighs and walks away, and I say, "I promise that I'll play tomorrow after practice if you'd like." "I guess," he says, "I have practice tomorrow, so I could bring Liam, Stiles, and Kira, and you could bring some of your teammates." "Okay," I say and hear honking, "Love you, Bubba." I run outside and hop in the passenger seat of Brett's car. I buckle my seatbelt as he peels out of my driveway.

"You look great," I say gesturing to his black button down, jeans, and maroon Vans. Trevor asks, "Did you guys plan that?" "No," Brett and I say in unison, "Stop that. I mean it. This isn't funny." We just stop talking, and Trevor sighs, "You guys are cute." "We aren't dating," we say turning at the same time and headbutt each on accident. I apologize, "My bad. I'm sorry." Brett nods and pulls into up to a house with a bunch of cars. Trevor laughs, "Well, I'm going inside, you guys. Don't get a concussion." "I'll try," Brett says. We pretend our heads still hurt, and I sigh when he is finally gone. I look at Brett, "How did we end up matching?" "Great fashion sense," he chuckles and shrugs. I giggle as I open my door to get out, and a girl punches me as I get out. "Stay away from my boyfriend," she says as people start to crowd outside of the front door. I shove her, "I don't know who you are or what you're talking about, but I think it would be smart to leave before I kick your ass for punching me." "Excuse me? I'm Bethany, and Trevor is my boyfriend, you bitch," she screams obviously unhappy about me not knowing that. I smirk, "I don't care who you are, and your boyfriend is just my teammate, you overdramatic drag queen. But I wasn't lying when I said it would smart for you to leave." I start to walk away, so I don't beat the crap out of her, but Bethany just has to punch my in the back of the head. I chuckle as she whimpers in pain, and I pick her up and walk over to the little pond and throw her in it. Everyone cheers even Trevor, and Bethany screams, "You are going to pay for this." "No, I won't because it looks like most of your pretty in running down your face," I say, "So, I'm going to go party." Trevor yells over the people at Bethany, "You are too clingy and rude anyway. We are done." Bethany starts splashing in the water throwing a temper tantrum like a four year old, and I just walk into the house leaving her there. Brett says giving me a shot, "I'm proud of your control because I could tell how much you just wanted to hit her, and Trev is especially greatful because he has wanted to break up with her for a while.