Chapter Twenty-Nine: Is Love or War Fair?

I go into my room and change into my leggings and a slouchy sweater then return downstairs. I grab my bottle of water and go outside to find alot of people haven't left. Brett is talking to Scott, and I can't help but observe him. He holds himself with confidence and a natural poise, and I adore that. I watch as he runs his hand hair and furrows his eyebrows together in frustration then crosses his arms. He finally notices me staring, and his face lights up through the frustration that was just there. The smile by itself makes butterflies flutter in my stomach, and I blush and look down. Turning around, I walk toward the door leading inside, but a hand laces itself with mine. "Where do you think you're going, beautiful," Brett spins me around and kisses my hand like a prince would a princess'. I smile at the small acts of affection, "Inside?" "Were you going to try and hide from me," he chuckles softly. I avoid eye contact and murmur, "I might have been." "You bite your lip when you're nervous. Do I make you nervous," he asks causing me to release my lip from my teeth and shake my head.

We both knew I was lying, but he says, "You make nervous. I look at you and think, 'This girl has my heart, and she could do what she wants with it.' I think that and: 'God is this a dream because she is so beautiful that can't be real life?'." I giggle and wrap my arms around his waist burying my head in his chest, "You have no idea how accurate that is in my head." His arms hold me to his body, and Derek butts in, "Date already. You guys are mates." I shake my head, "Everytime. Derek, go mess with Braeden." "What? It's true," Derek says. I look up at Brett, "I apologize on behalf of Derek." "He doesn't bother me," Brett smiles and moves my arms to around his neck, so he could have his around my waist. I chuckle, "Better?" "Yep, but there is one thing," he says. I raise an eyebrow questioning without words. He smiles and shrugs shyly, "Well, Derek had a really good idea a second ago." "Spit it out, big boy," I say taunting slightly. My doorbell rings interrupting the moment, and I say "One moment, I have to get the door."

I run to the door and open it carefully. "Hello, Blake and Ethan.. and Caleb," I say crossing my arms. I smile at Mrs. Mauser, and walks up behind the boys, "Hello, Stephanie." "Hi, Mrs. Mauser. I see you brought them to clean up," I say warmly. She nods, "Yes, I did, and this was a horrible thing for the boys to do. Is your parents home?" "My mother is here. Let me call for her," I say then yell inside, "Mom, the guys, who teepeed the house, are here." Mom rushes dowm the stairs, "Hello, I'm Stephanie's mother. You must be Blake's mom." "Yes, and I believe my son and his friends have something to say," Mrs. Mauser says. The boys say, "I'm sorry we did this to your house. We will clean it all up." "I'm glad you will," mom says, and I say, "I accept your apologies, but I would also appreciate if you left me alone afterward." "I will," Blake says defeated, "It was also wrong to make fun of your IED because I was upset, and I apologize for that." "I'll forgive but won't forget," I say and turn on my heels walking to the backyard.

Someone tries to lift me, but instinct kicks in, and I spin kicking up and knock the person down. I look at the person and feel bad, "Liam, you should know by now not to do something like that." "Yea, I should, but maybe some you keep hitting me in the head, I forget," Liam says as I help him up. I feel another person lift me onto their shoulder but know exactly who is doing it, and Liam frowns, "I get kicked when I was trying to do that, but Brett does it, and you didn't see him either." "It's muscle memory, and they are mates," Lydia says patting Liam on the back. I am carried away to see Satomi and Scott on people's shoulders, and I say, "We can't really roar or anything right now. There are other humans in the front yard cleaning up the mess." "Okay, but I want to remind you that we are the alphas, so we are entitled to lead the front," Satomi says. I look into her eyes, "I was counting on it. He has caused so many conflicts with my family and friends that I am willing to bring Peter and an army, if he has one, to their knees." "Big words you hold true. But are you willing to lose yourself in rage to win a war," Satomi asks. I chuckle and show my wolf eyes, "Who says I'm not already gone?" "I thought you couldn't get angry around Brett," Scott says looking at me. I smile down at Brett, "He gives me control. He doesn't take away anger." Brett brings me down into his arms and holds me while he looks into my red eyes. I smile as he shows me his gold eyes and brushes a strand of hair behind my ear, and he rests his forehead on mine.

I giggle as Brett tries to kiss me, but it failed due to fangs. We get back to a human state, and he leans in, but I give him a peck and turn. He chuckles, "You're lucky I love you." "You're lucky I love you," I say mimicking him. He turns me, "That's it." He presses his lips to mine and pulls away as I start to kiss back. I narrow my eyes as he smirks at my surprised expression. "That was not fair," I say. He chuckles, "All is fair in love and war." "Listen here, big boy. Nothing is fair in love or war, and I can play this game," I say smirking and peel myself from his arms walking away. I hear music playing in the front yard, so I see what Blake, Caleb, and Ethan are doing. "What are you doing," I ask scaring them. Caleb say, "We were listening to music while we cleaned." "Okay," I say and go inside. I grab four bottles of water and go back out, "Here is water if you want it." I set three down, and the boys grab them saying, "Thank you." "Would your mother like a bottle of water, Blake," I ask. Blake shrugs and takes the bottle from me, "I don't know, but I can ask her." I walk inside and up the stairs, and hands grab my waist. They pull me to the body attached to them, and lips gently press against my neck. "Do you really think nothing is fair in love or war," Brett murmurs as he rests his chin on my shoulder.

I turn myself in Brett's arms and whisper, "I was created as an unfair advance because Scott loves me, and his enemy was at war with him. So, what do you think?" "I think you've been hurt and used too many times, and you have become biased to that," he says gazing into my eyes. I breathe, "Maybe, I have." He nods as he lifts me, and I wrap my legs around his waist. I look at his lips while I bite mine then look at his eyes, and he leans in. Our lips meet, and Corey says, "Oh... Oh my. My bad, but you guys are needed downstairs." I sigh as I climb down and grab Brett's hand leading him down the stairs. "Yes," I say as I get to the bottom of the stairs. I see the blood and stop cold, "Why is there blood?" "We got a package from Peter," mom says, "It was someone's heart with a note." "What did the note say," I ask. Scott reads it out loud, "Roses are red. Blood is too. I see two alphas that are true, but in the end both will be dead. With all the love in my heart, Peter." "That is sick and twisted," Hayden says. I growl, "We need to find the body that belongs to that heart." "I really hate my uncle," Derek says. Malia sighs, "I honestly wish I could have different parents."