Chapter Twenty-Two: I'm An Alpha

I pull into my driveway with my brothers, Liam, and Kira looking at me. I mumble, "Crap." "Crap is right," Liam says opening my door. I step out of my car thinking, "They seem to care a lot more than I thought." I hear a car pull up to the curb and turn to see it is Brett. "Save me," I say hopping into his vehicle. He looks confused but sees what is going on, and his vehicle peels out. I take a deep breath, "Thanks." "No problem, team mate," he chuckles. I mock, "No problem, team mate." "Hey, who saved you," he questions. I roll my eyes, "You did." "Yes, ma'am, I did," he says, "I saved the alpha of the undead chimeras." "I get it," I say slapping my hands on the dash. He hits the brakes, "Please, don't do that." "I'm sorry. I'm agitated," I say looking down at his clothes that I have on. He starts driving, "It's okay. You just scared me." "Where are we going," I think out loud. He pulls into a big driveway and answers, "My house." "Didn't Satomi take you and your sister in," I ask softly looking at him fear evident. He nods, and I say, "I don't know if she would want me here." My door opens, "You have nothing to worry about." I turn, and the legendary alpha is standing there with hand out for me to take. "Hello, Ms. Ito. I'm Stephanie," I say timidly taking her hand. She smiles warmly, "I know who you are. Come in, and don't be shy. You are much prettier in person than your brother and Brett described you."

I follow her inside asking, "Did they describe me as a monster or were they just vague?" I give Brett a look, but she surprises me, "No, they speak fondly of you. Brett won't stop talking about you sometimes." "What," I say hiding my face from Brett. Satomi chuckles, "I see I have embarrassed both of you, so I will leave you two be." "Thank you. We will attempt to talk without feeling awkward," I smile and look at Brett, "If Brett wants me to stay, that is." "Yes," he says quickly then tries to recover, "I mean, yea, that would be nice." I think, "I feel super awkward. I just met his 'mom'/alpha, and she made me feel like a normal teenager." He says, "I forgot your dress in my car. I'll go get it." "Okay. I'll be here," I say blushing then hide my face. He smirks at my heart rate spike and leaves saying, "Okay." "I may be five, three, but I'll wipe that smirk off your face, big boy," I sass putting my hands on my hips, and he laughs. "I'm an alpha not a joke," I huff talking to myself. He walks in and speaks softly, "I know what you are. I was laughing about people underestimating you." "A lot of people do," I say trying to turn away and start to fall thinking oh crap. He catches me right before I hit the ground. I look into his eyes, and I really want to kiss him. "Stephanie," he whispers brushing my hair out of my face. I search his eyes and ask what I saw, "Please?" He leans in, but as our lips were about to touch, Scott barges in. "We just wanted to know why...," Scott stops then Brett stands me back up. I ask, "Why I joined the lacrosse team?"

"Yea, but I'm a little curious what you were doing just now," Scott says looking at Brett and I. I answer, "I joined the team because I thought 'why not? My brother and I can play lacrosse together.'" "That doesn't answer what you were doing a little bit ago," he says pointing at me. I growl, "I am not one of your betas, Scott. I don't have to tell you what I do." Brett puts his hand on my shoulder, and I stop growling and sigh. "I know that, but I still care. I'm your brother," he says and throws his hands up, "What do you expect, Steph?" "I get being protective, Scott, but you track me down to literally ask me why I joined a lacrosse team," I walk up to him, "Bubba, I am a true alpha like you. I have my own pack, and you have your own pack. I love you, but you have more to worry about than your little sister." "When did you grow up, Steph," he asks softly. I hug him, "When you pushed me away, but I'll still need my big brothers just not as overbearing." "I get it," he says and pulls away with a smile, "We can practice when you get home." "I'll be ready when I get there," I smile. Scott walks out, and I turn to apologize, but Brett stops me. "You don't have to apologize. It is natural for a brother to want to protect his sister and an alpha to be irritated by someone trying to inhibit what they do," he says.

"Do you still want me to stay," I ask looking at my feet. I don't think he does, so I just turn to leave, but Brett grabs my hand and spins me around, "Yes, but we can watch a movie instead of what we were about to do." "That sounds wonderful," I smile because honestly I want to get to know Brett more. I have known him for almost four months, but it will be nice to actually talk to him about normal teenager things instead of the supernatural. He hands me a bunch of dvds, "You pick, but I'm pretty sure I know which one you will." The options are The Notebook, Pitch Perfect 2, The Lazarus Effect, Neighbors, and Beauty and the Beast. I look at him and point at Beauty and the Beast, "Did you seriously give me this as a choice?" "I don't know what kind of movies you watch," he says snickering a little. I smile, "I like comedies, but I love scary movies." He grabs The Lazarus Effect and puts it in, "I love scary movies too." "Watch. You are going to be curled up into a ball and hiding your face," I giggle. He shakes his head, "I am a werewolf not a baby." "I'm a werewolf not a baby," I mouth when he turns around. He looks back, "I can hear your lips moving." "How would you prefer me mock you," I say smirking. He smirks and mocks me, "How would you prefer me mock you?" "You two are not awkward with each other anymore," Satomi chuckles as she enters the room. I smile, "Ms. Ito, would you like to join us? We are watching a movie." "You may call me Satomi, Stephanie," she says, "I would love to, but I have business to attend to with Derek Hale." "What business," Brett asks. She smiles, "Peter is gone because of your brother, but I must discuss what happens if he comes back." "I have a pack that would be willing to help if he does," I offer. She accepts, "If it comes to that I'll let you know, young alpha." "Do you call me that because I've only been an alpha for two months, or I'm young in age," I think openly. She answers, "Both." She waves then exits.

Thoughts fill my head as Brett makes popcorn. Has it really only been four months since all this started? It feels like an eternity, and so much has happened. I can't even explain the whirlwind of emotions that has hit me throughout the entirety of these four months. I was attacked deliberately. I found out werewolves and other creatures were real, and I was bit the same night. I became a werewolf. Isaac was my anchor. I had microchips embedded on my brain then one was removed. Theo sped up the process to unlock my true alpha. I lost grip to my humanity and my anchor then fought with my humanity when it tried to come back. I got my humanity back because I couldn't fight any longer. I truly lost my anchor to another girl. I got a full ride scholarship to Devenford Prep. I joined the lacrosse team then was initiated. I went home and was saved from an ear full. Satomi made me feel like a real sixteen year old. Scott tracked me down and asked questions then left, and now, I am here on Brett's couch about to watch a movie like a normal teenager. I am more confused in a simple situation than a supernatural one. Holy crap.

Brett pulls me out of my head when he plops next to me. I smile nervously at him, and he chuckles, "Are you already scared?" "No, this is just the first actual normal thing I have done in a while," I admit looking at the popcorn. He tilts my head to look at him and says, "I am glad you can do normal things with me. So, let's watch this movie." I smile as presses play, and we just watch the movie. After the movie, he drives me home and hugs me. "Have fun playing lacrosse with Scott," he says as he gets back into his car. I smile, "I will. See you at school tomorrow." "See you at school," he smiles back and drives away.