Chapter Eleven: Know What To Risk

Mom gave me the envelope two days ago, and I have not opened it. "If you're not going to open it, will you stop staring at it," Isaac says pulling me to the kitchen, "You need to eat." "But I'm not hungry," I whine. He mocks my tone, "Because you won't open the results." I sigh knowing he is right, "It could change everything. Should I still risk it?" "Stephanie, you need to know," Isaac says, so I huff and grab my phone. I dial and wait for an answer, "Hello?" "Stiles, I need you at the loft," I say. He asks, "What's wrong?" "Why do you assume something is wrong when I call you," I say. He sighs, "You got the envelope, don't you?" "I do, so get over here," I sass, and he hangs up. It feels like forever as I wait with envelope in hand, but fifteen minutes pass, and Stiles barrels through the door, "Is that it?" He stares at it like did obsessively, and I amswer, "Yes. I got it two days ago, and I couldn't bring myself to open it, but I also couldn't bring myself to eat or sleep because I am obsessed with this freaking thing." "Stephanie, it is okay," Isaac says. I shake my head, "I know, but would you read it to us, Isaac?" Stiles sits next to me, "Isaac, please?" Isaac takes the envelope and opens it, and Stiles holds me as Isaac speaks.

"You guys are related. Sheriff Stillinski is your dad," Isaac says. I look at Stiles, "You're my brother." "And you're my sister," he says, "My real sister." I run to my room and put shoes on, and I start to walk out the door, "Stiles, let's go tell dad we know." "Coming," he says running after me. We get into the jeep, and Stiles races to the police station. As soon as we walk into the station, our father walks out of his office. "Dad," Stiles says to get his attention, and it works because he says loudly, "It's my kids." I facepalm and hear Parrish, "They are alike, but she has your eyes." "You are very observant, Parrish. What would we ever do without you," I say making him laugh. I start to feel anxious and turn to look for someone, but I don't know who in particular. Stiles notices, "You are involuntarily looking for your anchor." "What? I wasn't looking for anyone," I say with my voice an octave higher, "I thought I heard something." "He is on his way," Stiles tells me, "We still haven't done anything with the microchips, so it is probably safer that way." "I'm fine," I defend. He chuckles, "I can tell when you are getting antsy, Steph." "I.. uh... Stiles I...," I say grabbing his arm as I fall, "Brain.. no... clear.." "Stephanie," I hear shouting and feel someone pick me up. "Blind..," I whisper. I can't see, and I am overly sensitive to touch. I begin to spasm like a seizure, but I am completely aware. Growling erupts from my chest, and Stiles blames himself, "It's my fault. I should have made sure Isaac came. I am a terrible brother. Steph, you didn't deserve any of this." Tears fall roll down my face, "Bubba,.. You... No.. fault.... You.. Best..." "I can't lose you too, Steph," he cries. I say, "No.. Lose.." "Dad, call Dr. Deaton," Stiles yells, "An ambulance won't help."

I assume that dad listened to Stiles, and I am laying on the vet operating table. "Ms. McCall and Sheriff, we have to take them out," I hear him say, "You have to wait in the lobby." "She's my baby. Our baby," I hear her cry, so I try to say I love you, but it comes out as, "Uh.. Love.... Ma.." "I love you too, honey," I hear her as she walks out of the room. "Stephanie, I am going to give you something to numb because I can't risk putting you under," Deaton says as I feel the IV. He asks, "Can you feel this?" "Not... thing..," I mumble. I focus on the beeping of the machine until he says, "I can't quite get the second one." "Just try," Scott says. Deaton explains, "I can't do that because I'd cause damage, Scott. It isn't possible." "Is she aware of this,"Scott asks. "She is aware of everything except touch. I numbed her completely instead of giving her an anesthetic. I don't know what we would have been risking knocking her out," Deaton says. I try to speak but enunciation was not great, "Atleast he tried." "Steph, we'll figure it out. He got one out and the connecting wire," Scott says with guilt evident in his tone. I say, "It isn't your fault. It isn't Stiles' fault. It's m-" "Don't you dare blame yourself," he says. I chuckle, "I wonder where I get it from." "Point taken," he sniffles, "How can you possibly joke around right now?" "I'm still numb," I state. He says, "You won't be for long." "Thank you, Captain Obvious." "Atleast we saved you enough to buy us some time to figure how to get the other microchip out," he says. Silence surrounds us until I remember, "You wanted to risk it to take the other one out too." "Yea. It would not have been worth seeing what it would have done to you," he says softly. I say, "It is a greater chance something bad would have happened instead of fixing the problem."

Isaac walks into the room and says, "Deaton wants us to move her before she is able to feel the pain." "Hi, Isaac," I say, "I still remember my promise." "You need to worry about healing," he says. I sigh, "I meant the surgery didn't make me forget," then I mumble to myself, "or the fact that you're a pain in my ass." He chuckles, "You are still a pain in mine too." Derek, Ethan, Stiles, Danny, and Liam come into the room, and I question, "Why does it take seven of you to move me?" "We need to make sure you are properly carried and don't get jostled in the van," Derek says. I look at Scott because he knows I don't like to crowded, so he asks, "How big is the van?" "It's like an armored vehicle," he answers. I start to cry, "That isn't going to be big enough, Scott." "Are you really that claustrophobic," Derek asks. I look toward him and say, "I'm freaking out right now just thinking about. What do you think?" Dr. Deaton comes in and starts to grab things, "I think she might have an anxiety disorder too, but she can't strain like this right now." "You can't put me in that van. You can't," I say, but Deaton stabs a syringe into my IV, "Are you sedating me?" He shrugs, "I can risk it now. I know it won't kill you." I see Isaac take a step toward me, and I just want to hold hand. "Isaac, will.. you hold... my ha... hand," I ask as I begin to slip from the grip of reality. I don't even know if he did because I am gone before I can check.