Chapter Thirty-One: Unwanted Returns

"Why were you naked the first time," Brett asks causing me to mumble, "Crap." "You thought I would forget," he chuckles. I sigh, "I fell asleep in the shower and started sleep walking." "You fell asleep in the shower? That is dangerous," he stops me, "Why would you do that?" I give him a look, "I didn't do it on purpose. It just happened, and I had a dream about the Dread Doctors chasing me. They caused it most likely, but they left for some odd reason, so it shouldn't happen." "I was only concerned," he says kissing my forehead. Derek says cautiously keeping his distance, "I just got a call from Ethan. Isaac and Cora are coming back to help with Peter." "Are you kidding me," I raise my voice, "We don't need their help." "I see your still upset with me," a voice says from the edge of the woods. I turn toward it and march to him, "Isaac." "Hey, Stephanie," Isaac says nonchalantly as if I wasn't mad at him. I growl picking him up off the ground, "Why do you want to help?" "Actually, I did. Peter is my uncle too," Cora says, "Isaac is here because he wanted to get forgiveness from you." I drop him, "Just leave me be," and walk away.

I walk to my house, and Deputy Parrish is standing on my porch. "What do you want," I sigh. Parrish answers, "I want to know what is going on, and I want to help." "It is a very long story," I say, "Have Lydia or Scott tell you because I have both of my parents in the hospital." I walk past him inside, and he follows me, "I can help." "I know you can," I say turning on him and putting my hand out, "That is why told you to ask Lydia or Scott. I have alot on my plate right now. My parents are in the hospital, my ex is back in town, I just evolved, and the man who caused the first two is still running around." "Okay, I can drop you off at the hospital," he offers, "then I'll ask Scott when we get there." "Fine," I sigh, "Let's go." I get into the passenger seat of the squad car with my mind reeling. Parrish drives in silence to the hospital.

I run inside, "Where's my parents?" "Stephanie, they are in surgery," a nurse with a name I can't recall at the moment. I shake my head and ask, "Where are my brothers?" "I'm right here," Stiles says, "Scott went to the bathroom." I hug him, "Are they going to be okay?" "I don't know, sis," he answers honestly, "They were rushed to surgery as soon as they got here." I feel my rage swell for Peter and pull away from the hug. Scott walks up, "Stephanie, you are in a place full of people." "I know I am, but I need to stay to make sure both of my parents are okay," I say through clenched teeth, "I refuse to let my anger to leave again." Parrish walks up and stands beside me, "Scott, will you tell me what's going on? Stephanie won't tell me and told me to ask you or Lydia." "Stiles, take her to the empty wing that is being renovated," Scott says pointing at me and pulls Jordan aside. "Come on, Steph," Stiles wraps an arm around me and leads me away from the mass of people in the emergency waiting room. I tense as another arm helps Stiles lead me.

"It's okay, baby," Brett says. I look up at him, "I am on the brink. I don't want to hurt you." He says, "So, you aren't afraid of hurting your fragile brother," then turns to Stiles, "No offense." "Wow, I feel less offended," Stiles says sarcastically. I growl, "Stop it." I take a deep breath, and Brett picks me up and runs with me to the empty wing. I am put on the ground and fighting the outburst. "Brett, distract me," I growl. He asks, "How?" "I don't know. Figure something out," I say. He pulls me to him and kisses me taking my breath away. His hands move down to my thighs, and he lifts me. I wrap my legs around his waist while he presses my body against the wall with his. My fingers play and tug at his hair as he kisses down my neck. I pull him back to my lips as a small whimper escapes my lips, and he smirks into the kiss. He takes my bottom lip in between his teeth and lightly pulls back then releases. "I'm not going to take advantage of you," Brett whispers and gives my forehead a gentle kiss as he sets me back on my feet. I am slightly confused but say, "Thank you." "I'll stay if you want me to," he says taking my hands in his, and I nod.

Stiles is out of breath when he makes it to where Brett and I are. "I... wish.. you... weren't.... so fast," Stiles says trying to regain a normal breathing pattern. "Well, I could give you the bite, but you probably don't want that," I say, and Stiles looks at me weird. He asks, "What happened? Brett, did you use your mate thing to calm her down?" "Yes and no," Brett says. I chuckle, "All I needed was a distraction." "That's it? Wait. Please tell me if I was here any earlier I wouldn't have been scarred for life," Stiles says giving Brett and I a look. Brett says, "You would not have been scarred for life." "Steph, did you seriously suggest you bite me," Stiles asks. I shrug, "I also said you probably didn't want that, and even if you did want that, it would not be the best time with tomorrow being the full moon." "I know that," Stiles says, "and I don't want you to." I hear his spiking pulse deceive his words but nod saying, "Okay."

We walk back to Scott and Parrish, and I ask, "How are they?" "Mom is in a medically induced coma, and your dad is sleeping in his room," Scott says strangly calm, but his emotion radiate in his scent. I hug him, "They are going to be alright." "I hope so," he whispers. Stiles says, "You guys can stay at my house. We need sleep." "You and Scott can and have the rest of your pack stay with you. I think I'll swallow my pride and stay at Derek's with my pack," I say, and Brett puts his arm around me. "I'm staying with you," Brett says with a tone that there was no changing his mind. I smile up at him, "You can make sure I don't kill anyone." "Isaac in particular, and I can also make sure that he doesn't bother you," he says with a glimmer of scheming in his eyes. I take his hand and lead him to his car, and he drives us to the loft.

I sigh, "Here we go." "Yep," Brett says opening my door. I get out and take his hand. We walk up the stairs, and Derek slide the door open, "Hello." "I'm here to be with my pack," I say, and he steps aside. "Come on in," he says. Brett squeezes my hand when he sees Isaac, and I smile at him, "I'll be fine." "Stephanie," Corey says uncamouflaging himself and hugs me. I hug him with my free arm, "Where are the others?" "Hayden went to Stiles' house, Simon is in the shower, Tracy and Donovan are in their rooms, and Theo is hiding behind the counter beside Isaac," Corey answers. I chuckle, "Theo, I'm no longer angry with you. I told you that a week ago." "I wasn't hiding," Theo says popping up into view. Isaac scoff, "You forgive him for causing so many issues, and I get the cold shoulder." "I am not here to mess with you. I am here to make sure my pack isn't attacked without me here for them," I say seriously, "I am willing to put my feelings aside for my pack." "Okay," Cora says standing beside Isaac. I lead Brett to the couch and sit next to him resting my head on his shoulder slowly dozing off because this long day has taken its toll. I feel Brett adjust us to where we are actually laying together, and I am snuggled up in his arms. "Sweet dreams, beautiful," Brett whispers in my hair as Sleep takes me away.