Chapter 9 : D's Broken Heart

Leon trails on what Margaux is looking at...he was shocked when he saw the count standing in the midst of the crowd. Suddenly he feels his heart races,he is fighting the urge to go to him,to hold his hands, to confess his love......

"You're an idiot,Leon. You made a promise to yourself that you are going to forget him,do not embrace that hope again,it would hurt you more." he scolded himself.

But his heart... wanted to go...

and at the same time,he just not wanted to...

He is afraid of rejection,if D would ignore him once more, he might go crazy.

But the fate seems playing with him,because as much as he wanted to avoid D,Margaux pulls him closer to the count.

Now he is facing D,he sees T-chan in a human-form standing beside the count,as if he is his protector.

He sees D's eyes it is calm and yet he can feel the tension around him,he glances at the lady,she is smiling,looking intently to D.

"What is the matter between these two?" Leon quizzed himself."Do they know each other?"He adds,but these two won't hear a word he said.

"Count,i am glad you are here,Thanks for coming."Margaux talking now,breaking the silence.

"My pleasure." he reaches the lady's hand and kisses it,He flinches a little,How gentleman D is to women. It a little bit awkward for him to see that,in a reason he don't understand yet.

D's eyes fixated on him,puzzled,worried and petrified. 

He don't know why D looks so scared,he then thought that maybe the count is guilty of throwing him out in his shop yesterday,he don't want to think about it anymore.

"Mr.Detective,what are you doing here?"he said in a detached voice while having that irritating smirk on his face.

He was stiffened,How dare he pulling that smirk at him? Is he trying to peeve him?

The nerves of this man!!He feels his hands forming into fist,he hates to see that smirk of his! That annoying grin scarred his heart even deeper.

"Stop calling me detective! i am not a cop anymore!" he said crisply.

Count D was daunted for a moment,he felt a pang in his heart,Leon is indeed hates him now.

He tries to mask his hurt feelings by pulling that artificial smile once again.

"I am sorry,I didn't meant to, Detec-Leon..." he grumbled,embarrassed.

Leon stares at D,studying him,hoping in his heart that somehow he could see a genuine emotions in his face not a goddamn masks he bested and fond of pulling of.

"Gentlemen,It seems that you know each other,Don't you?" Margaux inquires curiously.

D and Leon looks at each other but then again,Leon pulls his gaze away.

"Y-yes,he was an acquaintance back then." Leon answered in a nonchalant tone.

"I was.....he seems to mean that i am no longer part of his present life...."D mutters to himself,his heart twinges,suddenly he feels giddy. T-chan growls in concern,but he waved him off....

"May i have a word with you,Miss." D pleads to Margaux.

"Of course,You may.Please excuse us,Leon.You don't have to follow us,you can wait for me here." Margaux said and went away with the count.

Leon and T-chan are left behind,neither of them tries to speak. T-chan feels the tension between the count,Leon and that beautiful witch. He can also feels the pain in Leon's eyes. His actions towards the count confirms it. He cannot blame him though,but the rest is up to his master's decision if D wanted Leon to stay beside him or let Leon remain outside of their world.

=====================================

The moon shines bright,and the wind is pretty cold that makes the count shivers both in tremulousness and misery.They are now in the balcony,away from the noise of the orchestra,away from Leon.

"What are you planning Margaux?How do you know Leon?Why he is here?What did you do to him?" he fired away. 

The Lady looks at him with a mocking smile,and she gently walks around him.

"Relax,My dear.. I didn't do anything.I saw him yesterday,he's out of his mind...ALMOST. He was robbed and he needs help so i helped him." she said eyes still on him.

"He was robbed? Oh my god..." he wheezes in horror. His darling detective was in danger yesterday and he didn't do anything to protect him,if he only knew that this is going to happen,he would let Leon stays at least for the night.

"Yes,It is awful, i pitied him that is why i let him here in my house,he has no place to go,and then he decided to serve me for a while."

"But why??" D asks in confusion.

"He said he don't want to be a burden to anyone and i think that Leon doesn't want to depend on someone either,he told me that he have to pay what he borrowed from a friend." Margaux replied.

"That moron,still self-righteous,undignified and full of pride,I see."D mutters only to himself.

"Do you have a plan,Margaux?I really hope that you don't involve that human to our affairs." D warned.

A sheepish grin was flashed across the lady's face and then she came closer to him and whispered,"My,My,dear count,it looks like you have this special bond with that mortal,haven't you?That is so disappointing,if you really were.We should be united and plan the destruction of the humanity,we should not forget what our ancestors agreed upon."she hissed in a loathing voice.

"I never forget what my father's bequeathed on me.I would fulfill his last wish in my own way. So,You should not interfere." he said testily.

"That is wonderful,i just like to hear it from you,My friend. As to answer your question regarding Leon, i think i have to keep him for a while,you know,he could me my pet." Margaux said grinning.

"Your pet?Did you finally snapped,Margaux? Let the man go!" D hollered.

Margaux eyed him as if she pitied him before she bursts out laughing.

D was shocked,befuddled.

and the lady retorted,"Last time i checked,You already dumped him Count,and he also do not want to be in your company anymore."she said in a derisive voice and left him speechless.

His darling detective do not want him anymore.

What he should do?

His heart sank in despair and torment,the wind blows and even the coldness of the night fails to soothe his broken heart.