Chapter 41 : To Insanity

"Clearly,you're too sleep deprived to know what you're saying.Sean Connery was obviously the best James Bond,"Brenda argued,before taking a sip of her coffee and leaning back in her chair in the break room.

"Brenda,we've been through this,"Victor said,wishing he was allowed to smoke inside,and taking a sip of his own coffee instead.It had been a long shift already and they were barely halfway through it. "He is not.Daniel Craig is."

"You just like his body,"his ever-perky assistant teased,before sticking out her tongue.

"That's not it,"Victor said,shaking his head."I mean,it's part of it,but what I like is his attitude."

"Connery had attitude."

Victor paused,that disconcerting feeling that in another time,another place,another life,he might have agreed with her.He took an almost vicious drink of his coffee before countering that statement.

"Connery is a suave pretty boy.That hardly constitutes attitude.Craig can kick someone's ass six ways til Sunday,shoot up an embassy,and break into M's house," Victor argued.

"Touché,"Brenda agreed."And,you never did get to see Sean Connery tied naked to a chair,"she said consideringly.

"Exactly,"Victor said smugly.

"What are you two discussing?"

That question came from the doorway,and both of the people in the break room looked up to see the Count standing there.Of course,before Brenda could even think of an answer,Victor was moving in for the kill.

"The theatrical and cultural values of James Bond movies,"Victor said,his voice perfectly serious,but his eyes sparkling with mischief.

"What?"the Count asked flatly.

Brenda couldn't help it.She burst into giggles at the Count's reaction.

"I'm glad that you find this all so amusing Ms.Carlos,"the Count said,his voice slightly clipped.He did not like being laughed at.

"Doctor,"Victor corrected."Brenda went to med school too."

"She is still in her internship year,and your assistant on top of things.I'd hardly say that she--"

"Brenda is highly competent and skilled in her field,"Victor growled,cutting the Count off."I don't appreciate it that you feel the need to fucking interrupt us on a break so that you can insult my assistant."

"And why are you taking a break in the first place when there are lives at stake?"the Count asked acidly.

"Because we don't want to accidentally sew scalpels into our patients because we're too exhausted to realize it,"Victor replied,the acid in his tone meeting the Count's.

"You know,doctor,I could ask the same of you,"Brenda cut in sweetly.

Bravo,Brenda,Victor thought,somehow managing to bite back the smirk that was threatening to work its way onto his face.