Chapter 48: A Kami and A Cat

Victor nearly tripped over Cola(his white cat)when he got in,as she was lying in wait for him near the door.Though she let out a rather annoyed meow before darting over to the kitchen and perching herself on one of the counters when the door hit her as Victor opened it.

"Hello to you too, pest,"he said, smirking at her once he flicked on the lights and saw where she was sitting.

"You smell like alcohol,"Cola said in greeting, wrinkling her nose."Oh,and I see you brought the pretty god with no manners home with you again."

"Yeah,well there was nothing better to do than drink at the dinner,And Cola,this is D.D,this is Cola.Play nice you two.I'm going to get changed into something a bit more comfortable,"he said,before disappearing into the bedroom.

The Count,for his part, just stared after Victor. Not because he was talking to his cat. A lot of people did that. No,he was staring because Victor actually understood what Cola was saying. And actually having a real conversation with her. Very few people were able to do that. And he just stared in the direction Victor went,having a sinking feeling that there might be more to the man's ravings about Vesca Howell than he originally thought.

"You look like you just got hit with a board,pretty god," Cola said, smirking from her perch on the counter.

The Count turned his attention to the cat, who of course looked like a woman to him. "Can he see you as you really are?" the Count asked softly.

"Usually. He's always been able to.He can see things.Hear things.A lot of people think he's crazy," Cola said,shrugging.

"And what about you?" the Count asked.

Cola looked smug for a moment. "All humans are insane.Victor's actually a bit better than most though."

"That's strange to hear, coming from a cat."

"Considering that Victor has better manners than a nature god,I do think I'll put my stock in him," Cola said archly. "You didn't even say hello to me the last time he came home with you."

"I was a bit preoccupied the last time we met," the Count said,remembering the first time he went in Victor' apartment when he took him home because he is drunk.

Cola considered the Count for a few long moments, just staring at him,as if she was sizing him up. And perhaps that's exactly what she was doing, considering her intense scrutiny.Finally she scowled, perhaps not liking what she saw.Or perhaps not finding what she was looking for. "You had better not hurt him again," she warned.

"Again? What are you talking about?" the Count asked,arching an eyebrow.

"You aren't privy to his dreams," Cola said,glaring at the Count. "You don't know what he went through the last time. And it didn't even matter, because in the end,he died anyway."

"If you're referring to Mr. Howell, he isn't the only one who died the last time around," the Count said bitterly, making a face.

"Perhaps not.But Victor won't chase you if you run," Cola said,before hopping off the counter,and flicking her tail,and wandering over to an open window. And with one last flick of her tail, she jumped from the window and out onto the fire escape, and then she was gone.

"Do I want to know what you said to get her in such a mood?" Victor asked,reappearing in the kitchen just in time to see Cola go out the window.

"I thought that was her normal state of being," the Count said dryly.

"Not really. But if she tries to eat my toes in the morning,I'm blaming it on you," Victor said, making a face.

"I will keep that in mind," the Count said, trying to look and sound as serious as he could.

Victor snorted. "Seriously though, what did you say to get her in that kind of a mood?"

"It really is touching how protective you are of each other," the Count said dryly. "It's a shame that interspecies marriages aren't allowed in this country."

Victor rolled his eyes. "Forget it."

"That's probably the best course of action, yes.Now... I believe you had something that you were insisting on talking about?" the Count prompted,wanting to get this over with so that he could leave.

"Yeah. I did.Come on.I'm going to want a cigarette if I have to get into this,and I have a feeling that you'll bitch and complain if I don't do it outside. So let's go talk on the balcony," Victor said,leading the way before the Count could answer.

"What have I gotten myself into?" the Count murmured,before following Victor out onto the balcony. He had a feeling that he was about to find out.