Chapter 26 : Tug Of War

" A love is a torment of one,a felicity of two 

and an enmity of three." -Unknown

Jill looked around the new shop,it's a little bigger than the one he had in L.A.But the tranquility she feels every time she visited the place,it is still there,soothing her.The adorable raccoon is in her lap now,she thinks that Pon-chan might be her most favorite animal in this pet shop.

The Count pours down a tea,she smiled as she smelled it's sweet and delicate fragrance.The count also brought some baked goods which she believed were local.

"How are you Miss Jill?" D asks politely.

"I am fine,thank you.Uhmm-may i ask where is Leon?" Jill quizzed.

The Count makes a long sip in his tea before answering,"I believed that he's still in his job now and won't return until six." D replied still with his thin smile.

She just nodded as a response because she doesn't know what to say,as if she is loss of words.

"Well,Count how are you?I mean..it's kinda rude of you to left without at least saying goodbye,you worried us."Jill said sincerely.

"I knew.I am sorry for that if my sudden departure offended you but i thought it was the best for all of us."D replied still smiling,though Jill couldn't know whether it's fake or real.

"Well,i forgive you Count.I am happy that Leon is happy,the first three months after you left,he was so devastated that he was asked to took a leave from work but eventually Leon resigned after his vacation to find you."Jill said her eyes on the count,waiting if she would see something in those obsidian orbs.

The Count stares at her for a long while and then a smirk looms in his face.But Jill couldn't be fooled,she knew that something had flashed from his eyes,though it's fast she saw those unexpected emotions--- shock-despair & Guilt.

Does it mean that Count D also feels the same way as Leon?

She grimaces in sudden realization,The Count saw her reaction,For a second,the count gazed at her,thinking or maybe studying her,searching her soul... searching her heart.....

"Mind if i ask you?" Jill asked trembling,Count D seems to be waiting at her anyway.

"Yes.You may Miss Jill." D replied still wearing his annoying smile.

Jill struggles for a word,she is nervous as hell,asking the count if he loves Leon is scarier than hunting a serial killer or tracking a drug dealer....She hesitated for awhile,her lips are unable to speak but she gathered her courage to know the truth.

"Do you love him?" Jill asked in a small voice.

Count D blinks in surprise.Although he had a feeling already what exactly Jill would ask,but he hopefully wished that his instincts wasn't right but it was.

"Who's him?" D asked,trying desperately to mask his shaking voice.

"Leon.Do you love him?"Jill asked again,this time her eyes are determined and wanted a honest answer,Count D saw the hurt in those beautiful hazel eyes.

There's a long pause and suddenly the air seems to be suffocating,Pon-chan,T-chan and the other animals are nervously waiting for D's answer though they already knew what would it be.

But what startles them was that the beautiful detective was in love with Leon.This would be so complicated and awkward,because in the end,someone has to let go and to bear the pain of being rejected for others to be happy.This is the way of life and sadly,The Count,Leon and Jill are friends.Someone has to give way,but if they couldn't....their friendship would be at stake.

"Miss Jill...You're asking me if i love Leon,Yes i do love him.But not the way you are thinking.I love him as a friend,a brother.That's all." D lied,he almost choked on those traitorous words but he cannot afford to break his good friend's heart.

"You're lying." Jill said flatly.

"I gave you my answer Miss Jill,believe what you want to believe but what i said was true." D said icily.

T-chan rolled his eyes in disgust,Pon-chan jumped off of Jill's lap,the animals make a strange noise as a protest to Count D's denial.

The Count glared at them crossly.

They hushed up unwillingly.

The Count turns to Jill who is staring at him,he is not a fool not to discern the lady's feelings towards Leon.At this moment,He frankly isn't sure what he should do.....

" I am sorry...I did not want to be rude,,I'm ...." Jill apologized but D cut her short.

"It is alright.Don't think about it,I understand." D said merrily---but of course it was just a facade.

Jill smiled lightly,she felt guilty because of what she have done.....

People in love really do something that are foolish.Before,she didn't believed it,She dated a lot of guys but she never gets serious about them,what matters to her was her job,that's all. A stable relationship seems to be a fairy tale to her---She once believe in forever,but after her parents divorced...She stop believing in fairy tales and Infinity or whatever.....

But when she did fell in love with an unexpected person,she proven herself wrong in many things.

She did things that she didn't wanted to do all because of that person.....

She became unreasonable,rude,foolish and possessive because of LOVE.....

and she hated herself.... she hated this emotion... but how can she unloved him???It seemed to be too late to do that,she fell harder and deeper,it would be so difficult to do so.

"Well then,Count D.I gotta go,thanks for the tea and treats." Jill said still ashamed of her outburst earlier.

"You're welcome,Please take care." D said.

Jill hurriedly walked out from the shop and Count D released a long sigh.

He leaned his back on his chair....He lied to Jill....

Leon is not only a friend to him nor a brother....

He is in love with HIM....

And He wanted to be with his dear detective FOREVER....

But what should he do? This is one of the consequences of loving a mortal....

Count D gotten himself in a tug of war....

Is he going to fight for his love? Or would he give up Leon for a friend?