✧ Twenty-Four ✧

Damon

     This wasn't about to end good. The tense was high as Jamie and I entered her's and Weston's apartment. Roman begged for Jamie to sit with him on the couch, watching an extremely corny version of power rangers (actually, which versions weren't corny?) on Netflix. Jamie declined for now, promising to come back and watch all of the power rangers the could in the future.
     Roman dead panned him, pursing his lips together but went back to eating his sweet potato puffs, which I managed to snag a couple. I was definitely gonna have to buy these for the baby...okay, actually I was gonna have to buy them for myself.
     Jane sat at the table, her bump kissing the table because her chair couldn't go in any further. She had this dull look on her face, her thumbs pressed together. Jamie looked like he was gonna throw up. He hated any kind of confrontation, it made his anxiety skyrocket.
     "Where's Weston?" I asked as I sat down across from her.
    "He's at work."
     "Okay, spill it, what the hell is going on." Jamie bursted out after five minutes of us just sitting there, none of us talking.
     "I don't know how to tell you guys." She covered her mouth with her hands. "I don't want you to be mad, but you need to know the truth."
     "Truth about what?" Jamie demanded.
     "The baby..."
     "What about the baby?" If he could've used the opportunity to jump over the table at her, I'm sure he would have taken it. I pulled him back, holding on to him.
     "There's a chance that..." she hesitated, looking back and forth between us and then glanced over at Roman. "...There's a chance that the baby is Weston's."
     My heart dropped. Now I felt like I was about to be sick. "What the fuck?"
     "I understand if you are, but please, please, please don't be mad." She begged.
     "Don't be mad?" I scoffed. "How are you gonna tell us that there's a possibility that you aren't carrying our baby and waited half way through your pregnancy to tell us about and then expect us not to be mad?"
     She looked guilty but didn't say anything, so Jamie did. "How could you do that to us?"
     "I'm sorry," She buried her face in her hands. "I didn't mean for it! It was after a day or two after the insemination and..." she gestured off with her hands. "...we were having sex and he didn't pull out in time."
     "How the fuck could you do that to us?" My husband demanded, again. "How could you do that to me? When you knew all I've ever wanted was a baby, and you just took it away from me. Just like that."
     "Jamie, I'm sorry."
     "Sorry isn't good enough, Jane. You knew what this meant to me. Why would you even have sex at that time? Why would you think that was okay?"
     "You don't control my body, Jamie!" She yelled. "You can't tell me when or when I can't sleep with someone."
     "No, you're right. You control your body. You were supposed to do this for me. I begged you, and you agreed, and you promised you would do this for me." He was trying not to cry.
     "And sometimes things just happen." She let out a harsh sigh. "I did it, okay. What's done is done."
     "We'll settle this like adults." I broke the fighting in between them. "We want a paternity test."
     "Before or after birth?"
     "Before." I said. "I have to have surgery next week, we have to get this settled now."
     "We'll call you tomorrow with the details." Jamie said and stood up, not even waiting for me.
     My sister-in-law wouldn't even look at me. She got up from the table, attending to Roman who started to fuss and that's when I left. Jamie was already in the driver's side.
     "Baby," I got in and clicked my seatbelt on.
     "Why the fuck would she do this to me?" He busted out into tears as he pulled out. "Why the fuck would she wait so long to tell us? She knew this entire time, but she waited, knowing that we were buying everything and getting everything ready. Why the fuck are you so calm?" He screamed at me.
     "Because one of us has to be level headed in the situation." I sighed. "Believe me, I'm just as hurt as you are. But lashing out isn't gonna solve anything. We'll get it figured out."
     His knuckles were white from how tightly he was holding onto the steering wheel. "If Weston's the biological dad...I don't think I wanna try again."
     "Jamie-"
     "I don't think my heart would be able to go through the heartbreak all over again. I really don't know."
     "Jamie, please. Don't think that way. It's a 50/50 chance. I want us to have a family."
     "I do, too." He scrubbed at his eyes while we were at a red light. "I'll never forgive her. I can't. I won't."
     I couldn't argue with him there. I'd never be able to forgive her. There was nothing more I wanted than for Jamie and me to be parents. This is what he's always wanted, and now that he was so close...it could possibly be ripped away.