✧Thirty-Two✧

Jamie

I didn't really wanna leave the cabin, but, we had to, because today Damon had a doctors appointment, and tomorrow would be his first round of chemo.

He dropped me off at home, and I decided to go back to sleep for a little while. When I woke up next, I almost had a heart attack because he was sleeping next to me. I let my heart stop racing and then got out of bed, careful not to wake him up. I cleaned the house and made breakfast for lunch, toast with scrambled eggs and bacon.
"It smells good." Damon yawned from the doorway, only wearing boxer-briefs.
"I feel overdressed." I laughed. I was wearing one of his t-shirts and a pair of sweatpants. "Do you want my shirt?"
He smiled and accepted it, putting it on. "Correction. This smells just like you, and it smells amazing."
I laughed and put food on a plate and handed it to him. "Yeah, well, you can't eat the shirt."

"How did it go at the doctor?" I asked as he began to clear the dishes, placing them in her dishwasher.
He hesitated. "There's another small mass on my other lung." I looked away, feeling my face heat up. "Dr. Chang said not to get too worried about it, as I start chemo tomorrow."
"And if the chemo doesn't touch it?" I swallowed sharply. "Damon, we have two babies on the way."

He dried his hands on a towel and then wrapped my arms around me, and I clung to him. He clutched at my bare skin. "All my numbers are still in good standing. It's still small, a little smaller than my thumb. I'm getting treatment, I'm taking care of it. There isn't gonna be another scare like the first time."
"You got lucky the first time." I pointed my finger at him. "What happens if it doesn't even get touched by the chemo?" I repeated.
"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it."
"Don't tell me that, dammit!"

"I'm not dying as of right now, Jamie. I'm fine." I hugged him tighter.

"I don't think you realize how fast that can change. What happens if it doesn't go away? If it just keeps coming back? What happens if it kills you?" I was screaming as best as I could without screaming. "What happens if you die and I'm left alone to raise these two little boys alone?"

Damon

He was angry. And it was understandably so. And he was right. It could all change in the blink of an eye, and I think that terrified me the most.

It was supposed to be us, forever.