✧ Twenty-Five ✧

Jamie

While I never ended up getting sick, Damon's doctor waited the extra week just in case he started showing signs of being sick. When he didn't, they went ahead and Okayed the surgery to go ahead as planned. Which was tomorrow morning.
Damon had asked Jeremy about his lawyer, who in turn sent us to another lawyer, and we'd been talking with them all week about the baby situation. Yesterday morning, Damon had to have his blood drawn. The way they were gonna do the paternity test was to take a sample of Jane's blood and Damon's blood, seeing if his DNA was in the baby's that was present in Jane's.
The other test they could have done would have gone through using a needle to take a small sample of amniotic fluid. That one presented risks of miscarriage, and whether or not this baby was mine, I couldn't risk that.
Now we just had to wait a few days for the results.
So in the meantime, I had to get mentally ready for Damon's surgery tomorrow, which was at 6 in the morning.

We ate dinner around seven that night, and then watched a scary movie before deciding to get settled in for the night.
"What do we do with everything if the baby isn't ours?" I had my head lying on his bare chest.
"Nothing." I felt him shrug.
"Well we cant just leave it in there." I swallowed hard.
"Why not?"
"You wanna keep that much heartbreak in that room? I can't even walk passed the door without my heart feeling like it's gonna burst."
"It's not like we're never gonna be dads." He said, and then tensed up. "Right?"
"I don't know." I shrugged. "It's a lot to go through again."
"We could ask Ashlie to be an egg donor, we could get a surrogate. We could adopt."
"But is it all mentally worth it?" I bit my lip. "All the pain and stress of going through this all over again?"
"Well, maybe we should wait another few years before doing it again," He tilted my chin up to look at him. "But it is to me. And I know it is to you."
Damon wrapped his arms around us, holding on to me and then flipped us. He laid over me and then pressed his lips to mine. "Let me take your mind off of things."
"The night before your surgery?" I half laughed, half scoffed. "Do you think that's really a good idea?"
He brushed his palm over my cheek. "I think it's a great idea." And then he ground his hips against me. "We won't be able to do anything for a while...and it's already been some time since we've last done anything..."

The alarm going off woke me up, first. I slapped it off, my eyes burned as it was only 4:30 in the morning, and thanks to his 'distraction method,' we went to bed closer to 1 rather than the 11 that we were aiming for.
I shook Damon awake, who in return, groaned but sat up. He smiled at me, and I loved how messy his hair was. "I'm gonna go take a shower really fast."
"I'll be downstairs," I leaned over and kissed him, choosing to ignore his God-awful morning breath.
I threw on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt and grabbed a book that I would read while I was in the waiting room. I went downstairs and ate a bowl of cereal and then waited for him.
We were both quiet the entire drive to the hospital, and I didn't get much time to be with him before they took him back. A quick hug, kiss, and I love you was all we got in. I tried to ignore the tense feeling in my gut as I took my seat in the corner of the room and did what was implied: waited.

     It felt like an eternity had passed before a nurse had come to get me. I followed her back behind the set of double doors and was lead to a private room, my husband sound asleep.
     "He'll be out of it for a little while longer. There was a slight...mishap during the removal." She cleared her throat as I sat down next to his bed.
     "What do you mean?" My heart jumped into my throat. "What happened?"
     "He, what's a good way to describe it?...he quickly flinched, which was probably a small reaction to the anesthesia. When he flinched, the doctor was already half way through the tumor, a small knick to his lung with the scalpel, it was nothing too major and he's all going to be alright. Just on oxygen for a while."
     I was holding back tears as I looked over at him. Just laying there. Helpless.
     She left after taking his vitals and I brushed his hair back. I wanted him to wake up now, but I knew he needed his rest.