✧ Twenty-Seven ✧

Jamie

Earlier
Damon had finally fallen asleep and was out cold when I got the call from Jane. I really didn't want to answer it, but I didn't really have a choice.
"Hello?" I hit answer and stuck it to my ear.
"Jamie?"
"Who else would it be?"
"Don't give me an attitude, Jamie." I didn't have to see her to know she was rolling her eyes. "Can you please come to the apartment?"
"Damon just got out of surgery, I can't leave him."
"Please, Jamie, it's important. It's about the baby."
That felt like a punch to the gut. "Let me call Maddison to make sure she can come sit with him. I'll be there as soon  as I can."

Now
     Now I was sitting across the table from my twin. Instead of meeting at the apartment, we met at a Starbucks. She bought me a coffee and had it sitting there, waiting for me when I walked in.
     "How's Damon?" Was the first thing that came out of her mouth.
     "He's was in pain, but he should still be sleeping."
     "When does he get to be released?"
     "At least a few days."
     She nodded. "It's about the paternity test. I think we should wait to have it done after the birth."
     "Excuse me?" I nearly spit out my drink.
    "Shh, would you let me finish." She smacked my arm and then dug around through her purse. "I went for my ultrasound today and the baby was being stubborn, so they were making me walk around and they stuck the wand in a spot where they haven't before, and look."
     She set down a small slew of ultrasound pictures and I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. Baby A was front and center, while Baby B was hidden underneath. "There's two?"
     She nodded. "That's why I want to wait. I think it'll be better."
     I ran my hands through my hair. "That's still eighteen weeks away."
     "I know."
     "And what happens if neither of them are mine?"
     "Then I'm really sorry."
     My heart hurt even just at the thought. All of the feelings washed back over me as I said, "Okay."

     When I made my way back to Damon's hospital room, he was up walking around, holding onto his IV rod as he was walking out of the bathroom. His mother and brother had most likely already left.
     "You're back." He looked weak, but he lit up as he seen me. "I missed you."
     "I missed you, too." I pecked him on the lips.
     I helped him back into the bed and he grabbed my hand, interlocking our fingers. "What did Jane want?"
     I lazily played with his fingers. "She had an ultrasound today...and they found something."
     He looked at me. "What does that mean?"
     I took the ultrasound picture from my wallet and presented it to him. "They found baby B."
     "B-baby B?" His eyes went wide as he took the picture from my hands.
     "You know what that means?" I furrowed my brows. "Twice the heartbreak."
     He gave me a sad look. "Jameison, don't feel like that."
     "What else is there to feel?"
     "Jamie, we have no idea how it'll turn out. We just have to wait a few more days-" I shook my head. "-What do you mean?"
     "Jane wants to wait until after they're born."
     "And you agreed?"
     "What else was I supposed to do?" I let my shoulders sag. "It's not like I wanted to say yes."
     "So now we have to wait even longer." I nodded and he let out a sigh. "So then maybe we should start preparing for two babies, just in case."
     "I thought we weren't gonna do anything too rash until we knew."
     "We're not. We're just preparing...to prepare."
     I let out a sigh. "I don't even think she understands how much she hurt me. Even if the baby-babies turn out to be ours...the fact that she even would do that, without a fucking condom of all things, is what breaks my fucking heart. She broke my trust, and she just expects me to act like it doesn't hurt?"
"I honestly don't think she sees it that way, Jamie, which I don't know why she couldn't see how big this is to us."
I shrugged.
"Okay, well, why don't we talk about something else?"
"Like what?"
     He hesitated, "We could talk about names?"
     "Don't you think that'll hurt worse? Giving them names and then them not being ours?"
     "Jameison," He stressed my name and I could tell I was annoying him. "Stop thinking about the negative aspects of it all."
     "It's just...it's unfair. Okay? She already has Roman, and then I ask her for this gift of a beautiful baby for us to call our own...and then she backstabs me!"
     "Jamie." He cupped my chin with his free hand, forcing me to look at him. "I know, I'm sorry. She made a selfish choice and if it ends up with selfish results then...we try again. But we can't focus on the negativity. You're obsessing over it. It's not healthy."
     I pinched the bridge of my nose, letting a hard sigh out from my nostrils. "I like Cadence for a boy."
     His hand dropped to mine, where he held it tightly. "I like Cadence, too."
     "What about if they're girls? Or if it's a boy and a girl?"
     He shrugged. "I like Cameron for another boy, but I think if there's only one boy, his name should be Cadence James."
     "Why James?"
     He gave me a warm smile, stroking the side of my face. "Because it's part of your name."
     "You're such a romantic," I rolled my eyes but smiled.
     "I try to be." He shrugged with a smirk. "So Cadence James and Cameron yet-to-have-a-middle-name for boys, what about girls?"
     "What about Kensington?"
     "Like the palace?" I snorted.
     He rolled his eyes at me. "It's cute. Her nickname could be Kenzy."
     "We're not doing that here's my twin daughters, we named them McKenzie and McKayla because we're soooooo creative."
    He rolled his eyes at me. "I didn't say we had to name them something matching. I just think Kensington would be cute."
     "It's cute," I agreed. "But I want something kinda short and simple."
     "What about Kenzy?" He compromised. "It's short. It's simple. And it's still part of what I have want."
     "I'm gonna gonna go against what i just said a couple of minutes ago because I really like the name Kinsly Lucille,"
     "So Kenzy and Kinsly?" He smiled but then upturned his nose a little bit. "But Lucille?"
     "What?" I raised a brow. "It was my grandma's middle name."
     "Okay, Okay," He but his hands up defensively. "If you think that should be her name, then I think it's beautiful."
     "What do you really think of it?"
     "Okay, it's not my first choice. But if you want to name her that, then I'm 100% on board with it."
     "What about Kenzy's middle name?"
     He shrugged. "I don't know, I hadn't thought of it that far, yet."
     "Adelaide is pretty cute." I suggested.
     He nodded, a small smile playing on his lips. "Kenzy Adelaide and Kinsly Lucille."
     "What about if it's only one girl?"
     "Then we can name her Kensington Lucille, it's both the names we want." He pouted.
     "Okay." I agreed and he closed his eyes, puckering his lips. I gave him a quick peck, knowing he wanted more than that.
     Even though my heart was still heavy on the subject of these babies, choosing their names did put my anxiety at ease, just by the slightest.
     "I love you." He got as comfortable as he could in the bed and let out a yawn.
     "I love you, too." I ended up yawning as well. "Are you tired? You should get some rest."
     "All I've done is rest." He whined.
     "Hey," I brushed his hair back from his face. "You just had surgery on your lung. You should be doing nothing but resting."
     He rolled his eyes but I could tell he was getting more tired. "Will you stay the night with me?"
     "Of course."
     I stayed awake for a majority of the night, dozing off here and there, only to wake up and just watch the way my husband slept so peacefully, even though he was in a ton of pain. Even in his sleep he had such a positive attitude.
     God I love him.