✧ Twenty-Six ✧

Damon

     Everything was sore when I woke up. More specifically, my entire chest was sore, but that was too be expected. I let out a groan and I seen Jamie's head shoot up from the corner of my eye.
     "How are you feeling?" He was quick on his feet.
     "My nose is burning." Damn, my throat felt dry.
     "It's the oxygen." He explained with a small smile, leaning forward and gently kissing my forehead. "How are you other than that?"
     I attempted to give a small shrug, but that didn't work out too well. "I'm in a lot of pain."
     "The meds are probably wearing off. I can call the nurse for you." I nodded and closed my eyes, trying to get comfortable. "Also, when do you want the bad news?"
     "Bad news?" My eyes shot right back open. "What bad news?"
     "During the surgery, your lung got cut with the scalpel. The nurse said it wasn't bad, and that you'll be fine, but still."
     "That would explain the pain." I made a face.
     "I paged for a nurse, so hopefully one'll be here, soon." I held my hand that was free of IVs out for him. He smiled and interlocked our fingers. "You should get as much rest as you can."
     "I'll miss your pretty face, though." I poured.
     He rolled his eyes, cheeks turning a cute pink. "You have the rest of your life to look at my face. Which, after today, should be a very long and prosperous time."
     "You just don't want me to get a boner." I laughed but it was uncomfortable.
     "Actually, I was looking at your heart monitor while you were looking at me, and every single time your heart rate went up. Keep it up and you're gonna give your nurse a scare."
     I rolled my eyes before closing them. "Is this better?"
     "Much." I could tell by his tone of voice that he was smirking. "Now get some rest. I'm gonna actually go find the nurse, myself." I felt him plant a kiss on my forehead.

     The next time I woke up, I was groggy, but not in pain. When I looked over to where Jamie was sitting earlier, I was mildly surprised when I seen my Mom and Christian there, instead.
     "Hey, sweetheart, how are you feeling?" Mom stood up and was now standing next to me. She was brushing my hair back from my face.
     "Where's Jamie?" Was the first thing to tumble off my tongue.
     "Don't worry, don't worry," She kissed the top of my head. "He got a call from Jane, so he had to leave. He called us to come sit with you."
     "Jane called? What did she say? Is there something wrong with the baby?"
     "Shh," She gave me an empathic smile. "He didn't say what she was calling about, just that he needed to leave. I'm sorry sweetheart."
     "I want to go home," I groaned. I hated hospitals. Ever since the first time I had cancer, I couldn't stand to be in one for long periods of time.
     "I know you do, Damon, but you'll be in here for a couple of days."
     I hated it, but I knew she was right.