Chapter 2

Firelight trudged through the forest with anger, tossing a rock by every once in awhile. He was angry, depressed, confused...All he could do was walk through the woods and think.

            All the NightClan cats had been tending to each other after the battle, but their medicine could not cure Firelight's broken heart. His beautiful mate, Thrushwing, had been killed in the battle, and only a few moons prior, his sister had been killed. It wasn't fair! Why was StarClan punishing him like this?!

            "StarClan!" he spat. "Good for nothing," he murmured, looking back down at his ginger paws. He was beginning to doubt StarClan more and more as each day went on. It was nothing but a bunch of kit tales to him now.

            As he walked, he thought of that brave she-cat, Shinypelt, who had vanished MoonClan and the Dark Forest cats. Had it really been StarClan helping her? Firelight wasn't sure. How could they help one cat and destroy another cat's life?

            Firelight sighed, continuing to walk. It was then he heard a faint few, and he pricked his ears, confused. What was the odd mew he had heard? Perhaps it had been nothing. A part of him hoped it was Thrushwing though, letting him no she was not dead, but alive.

            "No," Firelight spat, shaking his head. He had seen her bloody body. She was dead. She wasn't alive any longer.

            The mew came again, louder this time. Where was it coming from? Firelight looked around, then headed towards where he had heard the noise. As he grew closer, he squinted his eyes, spotting a newborn kit squirming on the ground.

            Firelight looked around. Whose kit was this? The kit squirmed, mewing again as Firelight grew closer. He bent down, sniffing the kit. It smelled of no clan, and it certainly did not smell like a kittypet.

            "Hello?" Firelight asked, wondering if the parents were nearby. No response came, only the silence of the forest that was mending from its battle. He was about to turn away, but it didn't feel right at all. He couldn't leave this kit in the woods to die...But then again, what if the parents came back.

            Firelight sighed. "Curse my good soul," he said, picking up the squirming she-cat by the scruff. Her pelt was white and gold. He shrugged, heading back to camp.

            Once he stepped into camp, his mother, Appleclaw, ran to him. "Firelight, where have you been?!" she asked. She stopped, spotting the kit. "Whose kit is this?"

            "I-I don't know," Firelight honestly told her. "She has no scent. Hopefully Silverstar will take her in."

            Firelight watched as his mother sniffed the kit. Appleclaw nodded. "You're right. There is no scent. Take her to Silverstar."

            Firelight nodded, heading towards the leader den. The kit squirmed a little in his grip, though Firelight continued on, heading into the leader's den.

            "Silverstar," he said.

            The silver she-cat gazed at him, her blue eyes staring into his. She had a nasty wound on her leg from the battle, and she limped forward. "What is it, Firelight?" At the sight of the kit, she froze.

            "I found this kit all alone in the woods with no scent on her."

            "Are you sure it isn't a SnowClan cat? Maybe it's a kittypet," Silverstar suggested.

            "Sniff her for yourself," Firelight said.

            He watched as Silverstar bent down, nodding. "You're right. Why have you brought her here then?"

            "Would NightClan be allowed to raise her?" Firelight asked. "She was found on our territory."

            "Were there any others around?"

            Firelight shook his head. "I looked, but I couldn't find any cats anywhere. I'm not sure who would leave their kit in the woods."

            "Very well. It is best you go find a queen to care for the kit," Silverstar spoke.

            Firelight nodded, turning away. He was about to pad off when he heard Silverstar speak.

            "Oh, and Firelight," she said.

            Firelight turned back around. "Yes, Silverstar?"

            "What will you call the kit?" she asked.

            Firelight thought for a moment, looking at the she-cat. It was hard not to think of Thrushwing as he glanced at her. "Lemonkit," he announced.

            Silverstar smiled. "Very well. I'll announce her arrival later. Go take her to the nursery."

            Firelight nodded, padding off to the nursery with Lemonkit in his grip. He set her down softly as he padded in, and he smiled as he looked at Daisyfeather with her five kits. He looked to see Frostflight who stared at him with curiosity.

            "What have you got there, Firelight?" the gray she-cat asked.

            "Her name is Lemonkit, and she was found in the woods all alone. Silverstar's asked me to bring her to the nursery to be nursed," Firelight said.

            "Well, if it doesn't bother you, I'm fine nursing the little kitten. I must ask though, will you be raising her as well? You did find her after all," Frostflight said, looking at the kitten.

            Firelight looked at the pregnant queen. "No, I can't...She reminds me of Thrushwing too much."

            "So you would like to see me as her mother-figure and Hailfrost as her father-figure?" she asked.

            Firelight nodded. "Yes. Please don't tell her I've found her either."

            "And do we tell her we are her parents?" Frostflight asked.

            Firelight shook his head. "I'd like it if she knows the story of how she was found. I would hate lying to her."

            "All right. I'll take good care of her, Firelight," Frostlight said, grabbing the little she-cat by the scruff. She set the she-cat down next to her. "Hello, Lemonkit," she whispered.

            Firelight gave a smile. "Good-bye, Lemonkit," he whispered. He then left the den, knowing he'd probably never speak to the kitten again.