Chapter 4

Patchfur wasn't sure what his emotions were as he padded through the woods. He held Lifekit firmly by the scruff, and she slept soundly. He wasn't sure what to feel. His mate had just died, but then she had been replaced by Lifekit. Patchfur still didn't know if Lifekit was his kit or a reincarnation of Shinypelt.

            "Are you all right?" Cloudstar asked, placing his tail on his shoulder.

            "Fine," Patchfur sighed. "I just don't know about Lifekit though," he sighed.

            "Raise her as if she were your kit, Patchfur. She technically is your kit, and you're her father. Be happy. You now have a wonderful daughter to raise," Cloudstar told him.

            "I can't help but think of Shinypelt every time I look at her though," he sighed.

            "I'm sure she'll remind you of Shinypelt, Patchfur, but you should look at her like she is a gift from StarClan. Shinypelt risked her life to save the clan, and you got a beautiful kit in return."

            "Thanks," Patchfur said.

            "Anytime," Cloudstar said, walking past him.

            Patchfur looked up, seeing Graytail and Stormnight walking with each other. Patchfur wondered how they were dealing after Shinypelt's death. He would be sure to visit them later.

            As the cats walked into the camp, the elders and nursery queens cheered, thrilled the battle had been won. Patchfur didn't feel very cheerful though. He had lost someone so close to him...He looked at Lifekit though and smiled, watching as Cloudstar padded up the rock to make an announcement.

            "CATS OF SNOWCLAN! I am pleased to announce at long last we have destroyed MoonClan and Moonstar once and for all!" he yowled. "However, Shinypelt sacrificed her life to save the clans, and we owe all our debt to her. Please, join in a moment of silence to thank the young she-cat."

            Cats looked down at their paws, and the whole clan fell completely silent. Lifekit let out a little mew, and Patchfur shushed her lightly.

            Cloudstar went on, explaining Lifekit and the warriors that died in battle. As he did so, Patchfur went on to take Lifekit to the nursery where she would be nursed.

            Splashleap sat in the nursery, her belly quite large. Patchfur assumed she would give birth in a matter of days.

            "Patchfur, I've see you've brought the kit," she purred.

            Patchfur nodded. "I had hoped you'd be willing to nurse her," he said. "Your kits are due anytime now, correct?"

            Splashleap nodded. "I'd be thrilled to nurse her. Her name is Lifekit, correct?"

            Patchfur nodded. "Yes, her name is Lifekit."

            "Now, I am not her adoptive mother, correct?" she asked.

            "You might be her mother-figure, but I don't know about adoptive mother. I'm her father. She'll know that. I don't want her learning about everything her mother has been through. In fact, Lifekit may be Shinypelt. It's too confusing to explain. Please, if she asks, tell her that her mother died valiantly in battle. Pass it around to the others."

            "Of course," Splashleap said. "I'll let Cloudstar know so he may inform the clan."

            Patchfur smiled. "Thank you. Do you mind if I stay in here with her for a little while. I assume her family members will be coming in."

            "Not at all. There aren't many in here at the moment," Splashleap said, glancing at the four other she-cats in the nursery. The only two that had given birth were Softheart and Tasha, and Softheart's kits were nearly the oldest in the nursery.

            Patchfur sat down, Lifekit pushed up against him. It felt odd that he had to care for such a small kitten now. He and Shinypelt had talked about having kits, but now...He shook the thought away, then looked up, seeing Mousestripe and Thornfrost walk into the den.

            "Patchfur," Mousestripe said, a weak smile on her face. Patchfur didn't expect her to smile though. After all, she had just lost her daughter.

            "Hi, Mousestripe. Hi, Thornfrost," Patchfur said to the deputy of the clan. He was Mousestripe's mate and Shinypelt's adoptive father after her real father had been killed.

            "Can I see the kit?" Mousestripe asked.

            Patchfur nodded, moving out the way to reveal Lifekit. He watched as tears gathered in Mousestripe's eyes. "Oh, she looks just like when Shinypelt was born." Patchfur watched as Thornfrost put a tail on her shoulder to comfort her.

            "Is she your kit?" Thornfrost asked.

            "I'm not sure. No one is," Patchfur told him. "She may be a reincarnation of Shinypelt...maybe. It's too confusing. Please, just tell her that her mother died in the battle. I don't want to confuse her."

            "Well, I'm sure you'll be a good father, and I'll help you any way I can," Mousestripe told him.

            "Thanks," Patchfur said. As she walked out, he watched as Graytail and Stormnight rushed in.

            Stormnight gave a quick hello to his pregnant mate, then turned to Lifekit. "Is she Shinypelt?" he asked.

            "I don't know," Patchfur said to Shinypelt's two brothers. "I'm just telling her that her mother died in battle. Please tell her the same."

            Graytail nodded. "Will do. If you need any help, just let us know."

            "I will," Patchfur said. He watched as the two walked out, and then he sighed. He turned to Lifekit, weakly smiling. "I've got to go now, Lifekit. I love you," he whispered. He pushed her near Splashleap then headed out of the den, sighing.

            "Oh, Shinypelt, where are you?" he asked.