Chapter 52

Lifesnow sat in the warriors den, sulking to herself. It had been three sunrises since she'd found out the truth, and she'd been keeping to her own business, angry with her father, herself, her mother, every cat. Why had Patchfur never told her any of this? Why had Thornstar kept it a secret? Why had the clan kept it a secret?!

            Goosefur had been giving her distance, though he often checked on her. Lifesnow tried to act fine around him, but it was obvious the tom knew that something was troubling her. She supposed it was only a matter of time before he questioned her further.

            As for her dreams, they had continued, though they had only been memories of kithood. Perhaps that all did tie into the prophecy somehow. Were the other three also reincarnations? It seemed impossible. Perhaps Lifesnow was the only one. Still, she was trapped in a world swirled with lies, fables, and confusion. Who even was she anymore?

            "Lifesnow," came a familiar voice.

            The she-cat looked up to see Goosefur standing in the entrance of the den, smiling at her. She smiled weakly back at him.

            "Hey," she called from her nest.

            He padded inside and laid down on his nest next to her, glancing at her with concern. "Everything okay?"

            "Fine," she lied.

            "Ripplepaw told me she's going to become a full medicine cat soon," Goosefur explained.

            "Really?" Lifesnow asked. "Good for her."

            "Yeah. Next full moon, Spiritheart will take her to Moonstone. Maybe if you'd come outside you'd hear more about it. I'm sure you want to congratulate her," Goosefur urged.

            "You can congratulate her for me," Lifesnow offered.

            "Come on. You need to get out of this den. Can we at least go walk in the forest?" he asked.

            Lifesnow paused, not wanting to see Patchfur in camp. She'd been avoiding him the past three days, and though he'd try to communicate with her, she'd easily shoo him away. It seemed he was as confused and hurt as she was.

            "Come on," Goosefur repeated. "Get some sunlight."

            "Fine," Lifesnow growled, rising to her feet. She padded outside the dim den into the sunlight, blinking as the white light blinded her. Soon, she adjusted, and she followed the tom into the forest, shade quickly covering them.

            Lifesnow trotted quietly alongside her mate, watching him stride alongside her. She loved to see him caring, and for a moment, all was forgotten about her dilemna. Soon though, she recalled that she wasn't even sure who she was, and she worried again.

            "Let's stop here," Goosefur suggested, stopping under a nearby pine tree. It's needles were still green and fresh, whereas most of the trees were multicolored and had lost nearly all their leaves by now. A cold breeze swept past Lifesnow, and she shivered, knowing snow would be coming soon.

            "So, what's up?" Goosefur asked.

            Lifesnow just stared at him.

            "Come on, something's troubling you. I'm not an idiot. And as your mate, I want to help you...whatever you're going through," Goosefur explained.